Has anybody experienced this!!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hidyhowareya, Feb 19, 2013.

1. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

Bought several rounds of American Eagle 223 Tipped Varmint 50 grain because Cabelas had it about a month and a half ago. Decided to use them on a hog hunt 2 weeks ago and found 2 rounds that were over seated by the manufacturer, which is Federal. Check out the pictures and let me know if this has happened to you. Out of the countless thousands of rounds I have purchased and shot, this is a first for me.

Attached Files:

• 223.jpg
      223.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Hmmm rather strange. I personally have never encountered something like this. Did you call cabelas or the manufacturer?

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yep, seen it. With issued ammo. Isn't issued ammo from "Lake City" and run by federal or something?

4. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

I contacted Federal last night and by this afternoon they responded. They wanted my contact information, LOT # and LOAD #. Guess that this kind of thing is a concern of theirs. Most of the time when contacting customer service you'll forget about what you even contacted them for by the time they reply.

5. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Lake city is a government supplier of standard .223/5.56. Funny you mention that, just watched a video the other day on the lake city factory.

6. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Well hopefully they refund you or give you a free box of ammo. Never really bought any federal ammo. Their shotgun loads are cheap; so I hear!

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

But I keep hearing lake city is run by a commercial company. I thought it was federal.

8. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Nope! They are a Major Subordinate Command of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC)

Now whether they sub ammo to federal, which i doubt, I am not sure.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_City_Army_Ammunition_Plant

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Lake City army ammunition plant is operated by Federal Cartridge Company for the army.

The company is owned by ATK.

The federal "military" ammo that you often see on the shelf is govt. contract over run made at the Lake City plant.

The deep seated bullets is not a common thing, but I have seen it from just about every manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused in thinking they were strictly gov. but they actually do contract. Thanks.

11. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

12. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Someone said this in another thread and it made sense to me. Applies to this as well. "With the backorders that manufactures are dealing with, most are working non stop just to put products out. In these situations you almost always see QC fall by the wayside."

I'd definitely ask them to replace the box. If you have more ammo that you got from that same lot I'd ask them to replace those as well. You never know, they could be double charged or something else. That's a pretty big liability that they're dealing with if they're letting ammo out like that. I know it's uncommon but two rounds from the same box seems a little iffy to me.

On the other hand hopefully they're sending that crap in the billions and millions orders from homeland!

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

At the least, take the other rounds in the box and place the point of the bullet on a table, push down with moderate pressure.

The bullets should not move. don't honk down like you were trying to punch a hole in the table, but put 15-25 lbs of pressure.

14. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

I am going to go through the rest of the ammo. It's only 450 rounds to check, ha. Hopefully there are not any that are like those two. Federal offered to replace the two boxes that had the defective rounds. But, I'm not replying until I check out all the rest of the rounds.

15. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Was the box damaged, like it had been dropped or something dropped on it?

Good advice above.

I wouldn't recommend that varmint bullet for hog hunting. Surely you can find something with better penetration for that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  16. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

I had Hornady 55 grain VMax and some 55 grain HP. I actually tried some 62 grain green tips, but like always it goes right through and they die a long way from ehere you are.

17. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

The box was not damaged.

18. hidyhowareya

hidyhowareya New Member

I've hunted hogs before and was just varying my usage.

19. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Things like this can and do happen when the manufacturer is pumping up thousands of cartridges and running 24/7 to keep up with demand. I had a box of Winchester .44 Magnums that the rims were severely nicked on about a third of the box. These rounds jammed up the cylinder on my Redhawk. I routinely visually examine any ammo I feed my guns.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo!

It happens... I've seen it more than once with pistol ammo but this is the first time I've seen it with "necked" rifle rounds.

Those look like a recipe for some serious "over pressure" issues. Glad the OP did not fire them.

Tack