Hardest hitting load for .45 acp

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Scratchammo, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My G.I. is my backup, it sits in the saddlebag. It's loaded with RA45TP's which hit pretty hard already. But is there anything else that I can actually get on the shelves? I know it being a .45 is good enough but there's always room for improvement.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i just use whatever 230grn hollowpoints are available when i get fresh sd ammo. right now i got 230grn speer gold dots in mine. my colt new agent and series 70 run everything i stuff in the mags.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Any suggestions for an equivalent for my Rangers?

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I use 230gr +p Federal HSTs in mine. I personally think they are the best bullet on the market at the moment.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Cycle well in a 1911?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

all the premium defensive rounds are about the same. the differences are miniscule. the equiv of the ra45tp is golden saber, hydrashok, gold dot. they are all pretty much the same the only real diff is the marketing hype. they are all superb performers.

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Good info, I need more ammo. Thanks y'all.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Both of my Kimbers eat it without a problem.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

10. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

My vote goes with the Hornady Critical Defense Hands down! look into these bad boys. I have them in both my personal carry pistols.

here is the 45 ACP
    http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense/

you will just have to watch the video :D
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSTqV0CT4[/ame]

they say for sub-compact pistols but they fire really really nice out of my m&p 40 full size.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

While the concept is interesting, I am leery of anyone's marketing of their own product.

Looks like we need to have an FTF Field Test. :cool:

JD

12. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

i will see what i can find :)

13. m72law

m72law New Member

i like the rem. golden saber 185gr +P @1140 fps w/ 534 ft lbs @ the muzzle isnt to shabby;)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

if they came in 230grn i would use em.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes.

A Hornady Ballistician ( is that even a real word?? ) talking with a known pimp of a gun writer??

Just sayin'.

I would rather see some independent testing.

JD

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If anyone wants to send me some Hornady CD in .45ACP, I will be happy to test them and post the results without bias.

For now, I will stick with what I have. The Winchester Bonded PDX1 in 230 gr. If I run out, I might try something else.

17. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

you wont get an argument out of me.:D i agree 100%. i was just throwing the idea of the round out there. I was just introduced to the round so i have no standing on it but i was impressed with what i had seen.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Agreed.

I am interested in the round, but I would like to see it tested in the real world. And when I say "real world" I mean someone from the forum that I know and trust. :p

19. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

hahah well.. you dont know and/or trust me so i wont waste bullets to try to show the (real world) affects of this bullet.

id say go on down to the local sporting goods store and pick up a box for yourself that way you can see the (real world) results first hand.;)

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - Your a Senior Member here. You count. Follow Skull's advice on the rolled & soaked newspaper and let us know how the rounds perform.