Hard to find part for PT1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ruzai, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

So I did a fair amount of internal work on my PT1911. With everything back together I'm reading 4.52 lbs on average on trigger pull with little to no play what-so ever on the trigger. With the slide off its a good deal lighter and has a much more crisp glass-like feeling. (No I'm not beating the frame with the hammer).

I figure the difference in trigger pulls is the firing-pin-safety-plunger spring. This is why I've dubbed this style of series 80 the 'series pain-in-the-@s$', because it screws with the trigger pull rather than activating off of the beavertail safety like I've heard other styles might. Of course that's not the only reason.

I lost my original firing-pin-safety-plunger spring and tried to replace it with one from a colt Series 80 and it was pretty heavy comparatively to get in, even with cuttong some of the coils.

So my question is where do I get the original Taurus PT1911 firing-pin-safety-plunger spring from? I've tried Numrich's, Midway USA, and Brownells, but no luck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I've always just called Taurus and they send parts out quickly and they won't charge you for it. I lost a trigger spring to an old 92 called them got it in about 3 days in the mail at no charge for the part or shipping. I even told them I lost it and they said it didn't matter still warranty to them. They even offered to reassemble the pistol for free. I've never had any problems with their guns or service.

3. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Just call their customer service. They'll hook you up.

305-624-1115

4. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

So much for my hopes of a cheap spring and fast shiping. Oh well as long as I get it sooner or later. $11 for 2 and it'll take 10 days supposedly.

5. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Taurus Customer Service?

After less than a hundred rounds, the sear broke on my PT1911. I sent it back to Taurus for warranty. After a month and a half, all I had from Taurus was a lot of grief and unbelievable rudeness. You couldn't GIVE me a Taurus, now. You're on the right track by replacing that trigger system. I'm breaking out the Brownells catalog and replacing everything but the frame and slide.

6. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Que the customer service and Taurus bashing. You should by a plain frame and pour $38000 bucks in it and then you will have a good starter pistol................

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I would have just removed the Schwartz safety all together. Did that to my Taurus 1911 and now it's essentially a Series 70 gun. Just one more unnecessary thing and now it's gone.

8. jackrich3

It is not about bashing. It's about informing fellow shooters that if you purchase this product, this may happen to you. I bought the PT1911 simply because I couldn't afford a Para or a Kimber. But it's still good to know that you can depend on your pistol when it's needed. I don't feel I can at this point so I'll make the necessary changes to the internals as i see fit, to get to that point. That is all.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Couple of other choices out there :rolleyes:

10. cuba

cuba New Member

I've had my PT 1911 since 2008 and all the contacts that I've had with Taurus customer service has been polite and prompt, well I was polite too!! so I got back what I projected, thats just a rule of life, I'm sure that most people that call a CS tech are frustrated and not in the best of mood, and thats understandable, but you have to understand that the person your taking to has the power to make it easy or hard, so you chose.

Besides my PT 1911 has been great, I've put about 16K round through it with out any failure to fire or failure to eject and with out any break in period, I've kept all the original fire controls and change out the springs about every 2500 round and under magnification all my MIM fire control parts look good, if it goes for another 10K rounds I'll be happy.

One Bad @ss gun

[​IMG]

By the way if your unhappy with your PT 1911, I'll take it off your hands, I wouldn't want you to suffer any more. PM me

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Like a springfield mil spec. I'm sure this beauty will fill my every need, and mine was cheaper than the norm for this model, at $650 vs $750-$799 that I keep finding online.

12. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

OMG, cant be true!:)

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Glad to see that someone else isn't ashamed to give the Taurus 1911 the credit it deserves!

14. cuba

cuba New Member

Byron, I don't need your validation. but like they say (you can drive a horse to water but you cant make him drink it).

I can buy two PT 1911 with forged frame, slide, and barrel, completely tricked out with all the bells and whistle one in 45acp and the other in 38 super for the price of some of the highly praised (add your own preference) 1911's, and the Taurus comes with a life time warranty, what else can you ask for.

And thats a fact.

Cuba

15. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Hey man go wilson combat, they have the best quality parts and wont break.

16. cuba

cuba New Member

Are you sure they wont break? Go to the Wilson or Les Bear forums and you'll find out that machined steel breaks the same as all things.

Cuba

17. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I think you are misunderstanding something pal. I have a PT 1911 too. Tired of hearing other on here bash them.

18. Matewan

Matewan New Member

Bought my PT1911 used for $400.00, two years ago, the pistol had barely been shot. To date, I've put approximately 400 rounds through it, and have experienced zero FTFs, jams, etc. Very accurate, well made, and reliable. The only 'work' I've done to it is change the grips to Raasco grips. It's my fourth 1911, others are a Colt 1991a1 Compact, RIA GI, and a Desert Eagle 1911C.

19. jackrich3

Apologies to Ruzai. Your questions about the PT1911 degenerated into a pissin' contest between taurus owners. this forum is usually better than that, lots to learn. I enjoy shooting my PT1911, is very accurate. It never failed to fire, until it did. I believe the CS problem has more to do with Taurus Miami base, where rudeness and arrogance is a way of life. My wife and I quit our jobs in Sept. and fled back to the west coast of FL., it was that bad. I was born and raised in Lake Worth, it breaks my heart. Now, not a car horn to be heard.......

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  20. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

I hear that. I love my PT-1911, got it about 3 years ago. I had a little trouble with one of the thumb safety's right off the bat. Taurus sent a fed-ex ttruck to pic it up the next day. About 3 weeks later I got it back fixed, shiney, and a new set of grips on it (not sure why)! Great customer service, for me anyway. I'm sure they have pricks that work there too. That's just the luck of the draw.