Florida Hard to find guide rods and recoil springs

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by jbravo2, Feb 11, 2017.

1. jbravo2

jbravo2 New Member

I'm looking for a guide rod for my FNP-9 and Stoeger Cougar 8045. These are the type that comes with the recoil spring captured within the guide rod, so they come together as one piece. I have searched the Internet extensively, but I can't find any. I think FNH has probably discontinued the ones for the FNP-9. Perhaps the one from the FNX-9, which was its successor, would fit but I can't find any information about that either.

The Stoeger Cougar 8045 is being made in Turkey. A guide rod for it might be even more difficult to find, but I wonder if Beretta makes guide rods for it since it is basically a Beretta Cougar made in Turkey. Either way, I haven't found any Beretta guide rod that would fit the Stoeger Cougar .45 ACP.

I'll appreciate any information or suggestions.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. jbravo2

jbravo2 New Member

Thanks for the link danf_fl. The beretta guide rods look similar to the one I have but those are not for a .45 ACP. Still, maybe the one for the 40 S&W may work. I'm going to contact Beretta and verify.

I don't know about the FNS-9, but I have their phone number now and will call them, probably tomorrow, to find out if they fit. I will post my findings here for others to see.

Both firearms have performed remarkably well, and I would hate to stop using them for lack of spare parts.

4. jbravo2

jbravo2 New Member

I called FNH this afternoon and talked to a technician in the parts department. He had a hard time finding information about FNP-9 guide rods, so he took my contact information and said that he will call me back. I guess I'm going to have to wait until next week.

5. jbravo2

jbravo2 New Member

The tech from FNH in South Carolina never called me back. I had better luck with the FNH in Virginia. They told me that they don't make the guide rod/spring (spring is captured in the guide rod) for the FNP-9 anymore. You can order one from them (while supplies last) for $18 + $12 shipping + taxes. I don't know how others feel about it but I find their shipping fee excessive. Anyway, this will be my first and last FNH product. Although the pistol has always performed great, and I would like to buy the current model, I can't justify buying a firearm from a company that barely provides parts for their products. Even now it is hard to find parts for their newest model. I know there are other brands out there that do the same thing, so I'll stay away from them too. I just going to have to stick with Glock, Sig Sauer, and the 1911 platform. They have plenty of parts available.

I still haven't found anything for my Stoeger 8045 either, but I was expecting that since it is not a very popular pistol, and it comes from Turkey, which is been going through a political and military turmoil for quite some time. I just going to keep it for decoration once the springs start to fail.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. BRETTMC13

BRETTMC13 New Member

Wow, this is eerily familiar to what I just dealt with this morning while trying to find a recoil assembly for my FNP-9. I called to ask if the FNX assembly would work on the FNP. The lady at technical support originally told me "that firearm doesn't exist", and after a little more explaining and being put on hold she came back and said that it wouldn't work because "the part numbers are different". Basically the same scenario, she took my info and will call me back.

What did you end up doing? Did you purchase one from them? Or go another route? I'm half tempted to get one from the FNS and compare it to the one in my FNP. I was pretty surprised by the overall lack of knowledge at FN's tech support. I've called other manufacturers with harder questions and was able to get a firm answer immediately.

7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Try Brownells and/or Midway USA. They have a lot of this stuff.

8. jbravo2

jbravo2 New Member

I looked at Brownells and many other sellers online, but the parts are just not available. I was told by FNH that they are not making them anymore. A pity because the FNP-9 is a solid pistol.

BRETTMC13, I decided not to buy the guide rod. I would have bought a few, but I was really disappointed with the whole experience. And yes, I also noticed the lack of knowledge from the 3 people I talked to. It seems that they blindly follow a manual. You ask them a question that doesn't include a part number and they have to look for help.