hard decision

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by nikotromus11, Oct 18, 2010.

1. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

Hi Guys,

So, I've been looking for a rifle, and I've finally locked down the caliber to a .308. Now I've narrowed them down to two rifles.

First, there is a very nice Weatherby VG1 for $400. Then, there is a used (but in very good condition) Remington 700 XCR long range tactical rifle with a stainless steel barrel and a bi-pod. Gorgeous, but the price tag is $1170.

Thoughts?

Ryan

2. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

n, 10/19/10

For me it would be a no-brainer, especially if used for hunting. Get the Weatherby, which I believe has a Howa action, and use the $700+ dollars you save to get a good scope and ammo, then go shooting. I have a Remington 700, different model than yours, and a Howa 1500 30-06. Both shoot well and wear Leupold VX-3, 2-8 scopes. Both see use in the jungles looking for pigs. Good glass can make all the difference, whether target shooting or hunting. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If it was ME I'd go for the Weatherby like Oldandslow suggested. That gives you a lot more leeway for good optics and a reloading setup.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

One more OldandSlow supporter.

5. amram

amram New Member

Wether or not 2B!

Why pay more for the Rem. when the Wether will be fine?

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+3
    That is a VG price on the Vangaurd. It is a Howa action. I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel in .308. It goes out to play more than any other rifle I own. I have not found any ammo it does not shoot well. Very forgiving rifle. I've had mine for 15+ years and it is still a tack driver, almost boring at times. $700.00 can buy some nice glass!

7. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

That price for a used XCR is pretty steep, more than new even. Not sure the bipod is worth the additional 200-300 bills.

You mentioned it has a stainless barrel? Is it an after market barrel? My understanding is the "stainless" color on the factory XCR is a coating.

In any case, a factory Remington 700 is a Remington 700 despite the band wagon moniker attached like "long range", "police marksman" or whatever the cliche phrase of the day is. A little dress up here and there like a synthetic stock or triangular barrel does not a long range rifle make. Another vote for the Vanguard.