Happy New Year

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TLuker, Jan 2, 2016.

1. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Happy New Year all! As the new year is getting started I was just pondering last year and what I want to do different this year. I was also wondering what changes, if any, all of you are planning on making for this new year????

For myself I was busy for the last couple of years with home projects and work. Now I've finally got most of my projects finished and things have settled down at work so I'm ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor this year. In other words it's time to get back to living rather than working. I've had a lot time off over the holidays and that time reminded me how nice it is to stop and smell the flowers so to speak. Particular things I'm looking forward to this year that I will make priorities rather than working 24/7:

1. Shooting - I have a lot of loads to work up this year!
    2. Fishing - I'm getting a kayak just as soon spring gets here
    3. Guitar - I will make time for serious and regular practice this year
    4. Gardening - I've had a garden over the last couple of years but I haven't had the time really enjoy it, or enjoy cooking with all of those great fresh vegetables and herbs.
    5. Hunting - A pinched nerve pretty much messed up my deer season which just ended but there are a lot of other tasty critters out there and it's time to put a few of them on the table. I think I'll take my nephew squirrel hunting next weekend. :)

So what changes are all of you planning on for this year?????? :):confused::):confused::)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And best wishes for a very happy New Year to you as well.

Changes- Um- change in inevitable (except from a vending machine)

However, I had planned to retire from my current job as of..... yesterday. However, my folks have asked if I would consider staying on, and taking off more time. As in work 3-4 days each week- my call for days and hours.

So during 2016, I am looking forward to more time- at the range, the loading bench, the boat on the lake, fooling around in the workshop, messing about in the garden/ orchard. Maybe a few overnights on the Appalachian Trail when weather gets nice. Some 4 day weekends at the Outer Banks. And a nap when I want one!

3. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

For me, same ole, same ole. Got some farm maintenance to be doing.

C3: sounds great! I was able to telecommute 100% my last 1.5 years before retiring, working four days a week. The year before, telecommuted 3 of the four days I worked. Every weekend a three day weekend. The year before that, 2 of the four days I worked. Nice gig. Contract ran out, so I retired - didn't want to to the commute on I-95 from Fredricksburg to DC.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

RJF- about 3 years back, I BRIEFLY considered commuting from the Richmond area to Warrenton. GS job based out of Vint Hill, but salaried as if in DC. Obscene pay scale- I could have picked up a driver and limo for the daily drive. But decided I had enuff traffic, whether riding or driving.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Happy New Year all!

What with getting the property organized, I never

got the reloading set up the way I would have liked.

Hopefully, this year, I'll be pressing more bullets, and

doing more range shooting and hunting...

6. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

C3 congrats on the semi retirement, I am only 51, but can't get my mind around total retirement yet. Without an external reason to get up in the morning my natural laziness would kick in and I would sleep until 9 or 10 in the morning then take a nap around 2 in the afternoon!

My uncle "retired" from the multi state electric company 4 or 5 years ago, he was what I would call upper-middle level management. 2 or 3 months later his bosses wanted him back as a "consultant". His replacement couldn't do the job. He worked 2 or 3 days a week on his own schedule for about 3 years until the bosses were satisfied his replacement could now do the job. Short weeks and long weekends made the transition a little easier. Plus by the time his "consultancy" was over my aunt was ready to retire, worked out all the way around.

I have seen several people retire and then sit on their front porch and drink and smoke themselves to death out of boredom a year later. I worried about my dad doing this for a short time when he retired, I shouldn't have, since he retired he can't sit still, ( my home shop didn't need reorganized, but it got reorganized :mad:)

I don't foresee these things for you C3, you have too much going on besides work, if all else fails there may be more "anarchists" in need of training!! :D

Just kinda threw it out there for everybodies consumption and consideration.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, I thought

"Woo-hoo! Retirement!".

Man, I've never been so dang busy in

my life!