Happy Birthday USA!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tac foley, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

2. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank You tac, very much!

dango, RJF22553 and Rifling82 like this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Swampurnicus

Swampurnicus New Member

You must know my brother. Gotta know him! Or are you him? You sound so much like him. He's from Maine, by the way.

dango likes this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rifling
    Thanks!

A BIG AMEN TO THE TIPIN SONG!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

dango, locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Well, the house isn't burned down, as of this morning. So, neighbors in the area didn't get too gung-ho in their celebrations.

I saw a lot of people just sitting down to basic barbecues with family and friends. My guess is, a lot of people didn't want to expend much effort in the whiz-bang part of it. Simple's good, given this past ~6mos.

Saw quite a number of people at the nearby ancient/historic cemetery. Solemn, considerate, respectful. Much cooler there, too, under the canopy of trees.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    dango and RJF22553 like this.
  7. Sniper03

Rifling
    You were absolutely right when you mentioned Men?????;)
    My best friend and I just turned 19 years old when we went into the Army.;)
    It was 1966 and God watched over us both during our tour!.
    Because we were so young, and yes we grew up in a hurry! Had Too!
    Maybe that is why it is hard for me to excuse some of the young today, when people say as an excuse, "Well their just young kids"!:rolleyes: For those who are under 25? H**l At 25 I had served my Country and had a wife and two kids.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    dango, RJF22553, locutus and 3 others like this.
  8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sniper, I agree. I went in at 17. And by the Grace of God, (and a few size 12 boots :D)came back a better man.

9. Sniper03

I enlisted but would have got Drafted probably if I had not.
    And thank you for your Service!:)
    But in my opinion maybe it is time to re-implement the Draft again. I think we would not have so many irresponsible little spoiled punks doing what they are doing.
    And many need a DI's or Gunny's Boot up their Arrrssss!;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And the worst of them would just cheat the system. When we were headed into Iraq, I told folks I’d believe it was a serious national priority, when one of the twins enlisted. About a year into the conflict there was 50% increase in the number of progeny of members of Congress serving in the military. A Senators grandsons enlisted, bringing the total from two to three.

If we bring back the draft we need to close the loopholes. No getting out of active service, by tying up a slot in the reserve, or “bone spurs”. If you’re not fit for active duty, you can be a cook or clerk.

Honest to God universal national service. For everyone, even the girls. And, it doesn’t have to be military. They can build trails for the Forest Service, or learn how to repair some of the beat up old buildings, that the Forest Service and the National Parks have.

dango likes this.
  11. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It's the best thing in my life that ever happened to me , being born here , USA............!
    I cry for it and I'd die for it , Happy Birthday USA ..........!

ellis36, Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  12. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Those were more or less the last words of the great Confederate general, John 'Stonewall' Jackson - “Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.”

ellis36 likes this.
  13. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

I went in at 21 and came out at 54, with no extra perforations/apertures/obvious surface damage. There were, however, occasions when I was more than glad to have managed to come back at all.

Oldoutlaw and ellis36 like this.