hanging on the nipple

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by JonM, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

picked up a lyman great plains today nib seems like a decent rifle. only negative is the hammer on the lock just baaaarly clips the nipple. it does fire a cap every time. a little disapointed in that the hammer isnt square to the nipple.

range report and pics later saturday

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Filed the nipple down some and it now strikes without edge contact.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was scared to open this thread just because of the title:eek:

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Lol

I think its odd to call the priming stem a nipple. Damn thing looks nothing like what a nipple is attached to...

But then you also got nipple picks and wrenches.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Jon when you file a nipple off you dull the edge. The cap or top of nipple must be sharp to provide dependable ignition. A flattened anvil on the top of a nipple is not good.
    The problem you have encountered is common on mass produced BP firearms. The cure is to remove the hammer heat it bend it harden it replace. :)

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A nipple is a short piece of pipe used to join 2 different sizes of pipe. The nipple is usually a threaded male end. :)

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Put in a shorter nipple, or check to see if nipple is screwed all the way in !...............

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Use a standard #11 Percussion Rifle nipple. Never use a short threaded pistol nipples in a rifle. That is good way to get hurt very bad. This is a hammer angle problem.:)

9. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

This is about black powder guns?!?!

This thread title is very misleading!!!!!!! :mad:
    :D

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is only misleading if you are not aware you are on the "Black Powder and Musket Forum".:rolleyes:

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Sorry. I forgot the green font.

12. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Do you have a drum or a snail? My first BP rifle (still have it) has a drum and it was not lined up right so the hammer would not strike the nipple square. Used a wrench and vise to turn the drum, problem fixed. Same issue with a Hawken, so no drum to turn. Had to take the hammer off, heat it and give it a bend. Once fitted, I heated it and dunked it in mineral oil. Been working for 10 years. You would think they would never leave the factory that way???

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

The lyman gpr has I guess you would call a drum it makes a 90degree turn. Its got a set screw so you can clean into the barrel channel.

I'm not using a shorter one I just took a few wacks with a file and its clearing the hang point now. If I loosen the drum as it would need to be rotated rearward I would think it would work itself free and become loose under firing.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

it did just fine managed to get one group just under the 2 inch mark most were at 2-3 inches.

fired about 50 rounds until i screwed up and didnt fully get the solvent out of the barrel before putting in a charge soaking it down maiking it no longer go boom.

left the ball getter outer at home so called it a day.

really happy with this rifle altho the rear sight sucks. my mosins have better rear sights than this lyman rifle does. the front sight is wide but thats ok for a 100 yard gun but the rear is just aweful.

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The Lyman Great Plains has a snail breech. It doesn't move as its part of the breech plug.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ahh ok. I'm not that familiar with bp guns and their design.

Is the breech plug on these lyman guns removable for thorough cleaning??

17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You can get it off but it takes some doing and is not recommended. I remove the barrel from my .54 Hawken and stick the breech in a bucket of water. I use a 20 gauge bore mop and it pulls water up through the bore and pushes it back out the nipple. A tight patch on a jag will do the same thing.