Hanging in on the Jersey Shore

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by drvsafe, Oct 30, 2012.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Finally able to post up with an update. We are fine in Long Branch. It was pretty dicey last night, crazy winds, but fortunately not much rain by us! So we were spared that. But we lost power since about 10pm last night.
    I had a chance to roam around a bit today and every block into area has some sort of an event.
    We won't have power for at least 4-10 days. I was able to he trp Home Depot in time to snag a generator today! Now I have to make a gas run tomorrow.
    So I'm case anyone was wondering we are fine here in the long branch area.

2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Be safe, keep warm, be careful.

Holler if you need sumptin.

4. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Glad all is well. Stay safe. Bound to be crazy all around you. Check in when you can.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Glad that you made it without too much damage, stay safe and warm.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

We are getting by. At a friends house with internet so I'm posting. No electricity, no idea when we will get service restored. Gas is being rationed on an odd/even schedule. But we have the generator and a day or 2 of fuel, we have running water and gas service so we can cook and shower. I am not making a single complaint since there are so many more that have it so so much worse than us. So we are a but cold but counting our blessings. I can say that people need donations, paper goods, clothing, generators, food. If you can't get out here donate to the Red Cross, it will get to the people that need it.

7. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

As a Katrina alumnus, I empathize, donation has been sent to Red Cross by text. Good luck keep safe.

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Appreciated. We have another nor'easter headed our way come this Wednesday. Personally I am not too sure how much more I can take. Staying strong for my family is just writing tougher and tougher b

9. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I know it's a cliche, but hang in there. You will get your strength from your family and they in turn need your support to help them overcome the fear of what is happening and what is to come. Reassure them often that you will be there to protect them. Hugs are important.

Been there, done that.

All the best

Jim

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Yup. I cracked under the pressure a bit yesterday. But it's a beautiful day here today. We are going to get outside and clean up a bit. I think that will help everyone's spirits.

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Thanks for the updates drvsafe. Sorry to hear about the cracking under pressure, but glad to know your spirits are up again and you are able to get out. Sometimes it takes a good storm to open peoples eyes. Be safe.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yeah...stay safe drvsafe! in another week or so the worst will be behind you. Hang tough!

.....can't they just bring gasoline tanker trucks in equipped with pumps and a bunch of gas cans?....seems simple.

13. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Oh 100%. One can consider this a "live fire" dry run for all the preppers in the area. It's an eye opener to say the least. And I thank my freakin lucky stars that I still have a home to heat.

I took some time out today after my gas run to stop by the crews working in my area to clear debris and restore power and offered some bottled water, it was appreciated to say the least. I just wish I could sway them to do the work on MY grid, but alas...

There are crews all over my area so it may be a matter of hours or a matter of days, its auite a spread and though the high side of that seems like years in the age we live in, it is the reality. Our mayor lives in my area so maybe we will get some priority though I Doubt it.

I am just amazed by what we have grown accustomed to as far as necessities and how they really are just creature comforts.

Plus in spite of the harshness of what we are dealing with as a family unit and a town, it pales in comparison to those a bit north and a bit south of us. And though I stood in line today for gas (its an even day and both my license plates are odd so I can only fill gas cans by walking in rather than driving) the overall spirit of the people on line with me was great. Every race, age, creed, religion and social stature was represented in this line to buy the most base necessity and we all joked and laughed and were concerned about the same things. It made me sure that even though I don't have enough gas cans, or batteries or extension cords or CASH in my pocket or food, no matter what, I know that WE would weather this.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

drvsafe, after reading your posts, I have no doubt you're strong enough to come through this just fine.

Helping your neighbors is the best way in the world to boost your own morale.

Keep posting, and maybe, just maybe, you'll inspire someone else on the forum to prepare for emergencies like you did with the generator and extra fuel.

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Well someone upstairs decided to shine a little utility powered light upon us. We just got the power back on my block. YES.

While this is by no means over, it's given us a bit of breathing room and personally it has freed up this week for me. now that I no longer need to feed my generator I can donate some of my time and help out a bit around town.

I know how fortunate we were and if I can help I have every intention of doing so.

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Attached Files:

17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

You cracked a bit, but you're still there. So, you're human. Your family knows that and they love you for it. Keep goin'!

And very well done on the community assistance. Your morale and theirs goes up when you do that!

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Took a ride out to volunteer and all hands were on deck there, in spite of my able hands and a full tank of gas I was thanked but told they were all good.

5 miles north of me people still have no power and some areas there natural gas service has been turned off as well. With the temps headed into the upper 20's in the evenings of this week and another nor'easter headed our way, my heart is going out to all of them up there.

On another note, the national guard, local PDs, workers in all of the stores that are open have been great, friendly and positive by bringing some normalcy to all of us throughout this ordeal...

19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I thought Bloomberg wasn't going to send the Guard, because they are armed and didn't want things to appear as a police state.

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Today 11/05/2012 any donation you make to the red cross will be matched by corporate donors. See my thread in the clubhouse titled "day of giving" Anything you give will help someone, even $5! www.redcross.org/abc