Hanging deer question

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by buckhuntr, Nov 28, 2014.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Wife got a doe just before dark tonight. I have it hanging now, breezy and 61F, feels like 57, predicted low tonight is 48. Would it be safe to leave hanging until morning?

2. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't just because coyotes will get it ! I think 48 would be a bit warm for me to leave it to...

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would not leave it out all night. It will only be in the 40's for a few hours if it is 61 now. Do you know how to skin a deer with a truck, rope and a golf ball?

4. buckhuntr

John, I do, but right now the truck's holding the deer in the tree. We'll probably just skin and cut it up and put on ice after supper.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'd quarter it out and get it on ice or in a fridge.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a chain hanging off a limb so I can back the truck up to the chain. Hook my come a long on the chain to lift the deer. Then I pull the skin off the deer. I have had serious spinal injuries, not supposed to lift over 30 lb.

I take the chain down after hunting season. Spray pruning seal (looks like under coating) on areas where the bark is rubbed off the limb. Been using the same limb for many years.

7. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Quartering it up and putting it on ice would be the way to go. It would probably be fine tonight at that temp but I would hate to take that chance. Good luck. :)

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

A truck and rope yes. I am lost at the golf ball part. :confused:

Would you mind teaching me a new skill?

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You hang the deer by the head. Like you were literally hanging the deer. cut the deers skin around the neck. Then cut the skin down from the cut round the neck down the deers belly to it's rectum. Cut the skin around each leg. Then cut the skin on the legs down to the cut that goes the length of the deer.

Then pull the skin down on the deers neck until you can get the golf ball under the skin. Wrap a rope or chain around the golf ball. Hook the chain to the truck. Pull the skin off the deer with the truck.

10. buckhuntr

Doe is in the cooler. Wife needs to work on her shot placement though, wasted too much meat.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Telling a woman that can shoot minute-of-deer where she needs to improve is done at your own risk!:eek:

12. buckhuntr

She shot it through a hind leg. Blew out or bloodshot 2/3 of one ham and half of the other. Deer bled out very fast because the main artery or vein there was destroyed. I told her next time don't shoot them in the a$$! :eek::banghead:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  13. buckhuntr

Especially with an Ought-six.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats the bad and the good of it all in one Buck. Dont be too harsh on a woman that knows how to use a gun (or a rolling pin for that matter). Half a Doe is better than no doe at all and if you piss her off, you may get "Honey Do" list but no "Honey Doe" pampering at home accept on a plate and cold!

I would never complain about getting a little less Doe to the one that likely is in charge of all the Dough and smells good at the same time. Just sayin, happy wife, happy life!

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I would only hang a deer if he stole a horse.

16. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

Hahaha.... CF made a funny. LMAO

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ccNTy_bJ4[/ame]

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I've hung deer in warmer for over 3 days before...
    I normally hang a deer in the shed for 3 days...

Was I doing wrong? lol. Never been sick from it, that's the way I was taught and that's the way I've always done it....

20. GTX63

GTX63 New Member