Hang fire

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hectocotylus, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I just had 3 hang fires in Remington .22 bulk. Common or crazy?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Very common in Remington Bulk ammo. :(

3. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

For .22 rounds, the problem can be your weapon. The firing pin not striking hard enough, or worn, for this brand of ammo.

Also, what are you exactly meaning by hang fire? A delayed ignition or a dud/misfire? A lot of people say hang fire when they mean misfire.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I think he means FTF. The Remington Bulk has nothing to do with firearms it is just poor quality. The Federal Bulk is a good dependable product.:)

5. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

That may well be, still sometimes even insensitive priming compound in rimfire cases can be reliably ignited by a tight firing pin and a new spring. I've fixed quite a few older rimfires, that had issues with some brands of ammo with insensitive primers.

6. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

No it was an actual hang fire. Pull the trigger nothing happens, 2 seconds later it goes off

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This is a common problem on our shooting range. I see this problem about every day. Pick up Federal Bulk your problems will end.;)

8. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Only time I had hang fires with .22LR was when some ammo got exposed to high moisture, during a store room flooding for an extended period of time. Was this new ammo?

9. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Bought it a month ago. Does anybody think I could get anywhere with Remington? Maybe try score some free ammo???

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You bought crap and now you want more crap?
    I have had good luck with the cheap Federal bulk HPs and with Blazer solids.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  11. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

I am sure if you tell Remington about the 2 second delay, they'd be happy to exchange it for you. Could be a bad batch.

12. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I called Remington this morning. The first thing she said when I said it was from bulk ammo was "o you will get a few of those in a batch.". What???
    I then told her it was a box of 225 and she said it shouldn't happen in that. Crazy logic. Anyway they are going to send something to my house to help me further. I think I have to send them something. Will post when I learn more.

13. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Ask to speak to a manager, and ask for a case number for your particular complaint.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hangfires are not common, misfires are. and thats for more than just remington. cci blazer, remington, federal winchester, anything cheap almost always will have misfires when it comes to .22lr, but should not have hangfires. ammo that has been exposed to moisture, the combination of a certain brand and your weapon may be the deciding factors. when i get a firearm in .22 i tend to get a box of EVERYTHING on the shelf and try to see what works best with that particular firearm. yes .22 are that picky. now it sounds like remingtion is at least going to try to give you some replacement. be sure to update us on the service, product recieved.

15. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I have had misfires before .22 just does that. But hang fires are sketchy. I imagine going to cycle my bolt action thinking I have a misfire and it goes off while the action is open... Yikes

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

its common with remington ammunition. its really schlock stuff they are putting out. i had bought some new 30-06 remington to sight the winchester model 70 i got for my dad for xmas a few years back. 3 out of the 20 were hangfires with one dud. remington bulk pack ive had as much as 1/5 of a bulk pack just plain duds

remington ammo is just plain junk. i dont bother with it anymore

17. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

So last Thursday I got a letter with a premade shipping label asking me to send the ammo back along with the boxes. I am putting it in the mail today. We will see how long it takes to get a response.

18. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

JonM is right on. Nothing Remington ammo wise graces the chambers of my guns. Their ammo from the golden turd to 30-06 is about worthless. Not accurate, not reliable and the corlock bullets they use are JUNK.

19. Shade

Shade New Member

I feel you are holding back, you should just let it out, you will feel better.

Not that I am disagreeing with you, I have not found much factory ammo I like.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Can you mail live rounds of ammo? I thought the USPS wouldn't mail ammo.

I have never experienced a hang fire and I will be scared to death if I ever do.