handy gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jigsaw, May 8, 2007.

1. jigsaw

jigsaw New Member

Remember years ago harington & richardson made a .410 shotgun pistol, can vaguely remember it. What were the barrel lengths offered and what was the selling price ( at that time). Can a person have one of these now if one is found???

2. bkt

bkt New Member

There are a few out there still made today that take a .410 shell as well as a .45 round. The Taurus Judge is one. Here's a vid of one in action.

As for legality, that's a local issue; consult your state/county/city laws.

3. linn1456

linn1456 New Member

H&R Handy Gun

My father passed and left me this 410. I have his registration Form #1 stamped by the IRS and the ATF dated in April 1961. I have to say, this gun is an absolute blast to shoot!. I have no need and want to sell this gun. My questions are, 1) what do I need to do to "legally" sell this gun, 2) what is this gun worth when in excellent condition, and 3) what is the best way to find a buyer? Thanks for your help and information.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said- the Handy Gun is a National Firearms Act weapon- like machine guns, cannon etc- EXCEPT it is an Any Other Weapon (AOW)- transfer tax is $5 instead of $200.

FIRST thing is to get the gun transferred to you. With a registered INHERITED NFA arm, it should transfer to you with no tax- contact the ATF for guidance. To sell it, I would find a dealer with a license to sell NFA arms. Value runs ABOUT $500-$750. But unless you really need the money right now, I would get it transferred to me, and just hold it.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If it was a 20 ga I would buy it right now.

7. c3shooter

If it was a 20, it would not be a Handy Gun.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I with the "Keep It" crowd.

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Handy gun barrel lengths were 8" and 12". They were made in .410 and a few were made in 28 ga.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A friend a has a 20 ga double barrel that is made a lot like the handy gun. Every time I have had a winning trip at the horse races I have tried to buy that gun. He is just not interested in selling it. Ggggrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

11. c3shooter

John- he may have an Ithaca Auto-Burglar gun. They were commonly made in 20 g, and had two different grip styles.

IthacaAutoBurglar.jpg

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is an an Ithaca but it has a regular blued finish, not a Turnbull type finish like the gun in the photo. The stock is more of a pistol grip. It does not have the thumb guard near the safety. I haven't done any research on the gun. I just plan to keep throwing piles of money at him until he sells the gun. It is not about making money I just want a sawed off shotgun that will not land me in jail.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  13. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Please realize that posession of a smooth-bore pistol in ANY caliber is a felony, unless it has been registered with BATF, and the appropriate tax paid.