Hands Off!....Period!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by clr8ter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

There was a thread posted recently about lending your guns. The consensus was that if you are right there, guns are somewhat freely shared. I'm wondering if anyone has a gun that is off-limits to EVERYONE, you are the only one to have ever shot it. Doesn't have to be a collector item, or anything special.......My most recent aquisition is a semi-custom from Savage, SS, LH, & re barreled. I sort of want to keep it to myself, but am wondering what other people think. In our shooting group there is plenty of sharing, and more than a few Lefties.

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

So, that is one gun you are not willing to lend out -- that's obvious even to me, Mr. "a gun is a tool." Handing it to someone and standing next to them while they take one shot, and retreiving it from them then and there should also be allowed. Once. Maybe for a small fee and a large security deposit (if it has value you should charge for it). Apply a discount for (blood) relatives the concensus will no doubt say...
    :rolleyes:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not really. There are several I would not loan to most people, but my kids and grandkids shoot with me. One of these days, they are going to own them. The Anarchist-in-Training (granddaughter) has already decided which are HERS. :D

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If I don't trust an individual enough to handle, and shoot, one of my guns, I don't trust him enough to go shooting with him in the first place!:p

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I offer mine up at a simple glance. If I notice someone looking or overhear them talking, most don't realize I'm wearing electronic ear pro, about any of mine I extend an invitation.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have any firearm that can't be shared with me standing there, but I don't own one that would go out without me, unless it was with my Son.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Unless you act like a complete idiot i will let someone shot any firearm I own. Just not way from me.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Same here. I will let someone shoot my firearms if I am standing right there. I did refuse to let someone shoot my .44 mag Super Blackhawk once because I had full loads in it and I was concerned that the recoil would be too much for this person. I was afraid the gun would come back and strike this person in the head or he would drop it and I didn't want to see either happen.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Blue;
    Had that happen at range I worked at. 454 Cassul came back and the hammer embedded in the guy's forehead. We sent him to the hospital, gun attached.

When I fired one the first time myself the guy who let me was complaining -- he hated shooting the thing but it was too expensive to sell at the loss he'd take. His hands were cut and bleeding from the recoil. He fully loaded it for me and got MAD when I only fired it once... I was wearing cotton gloves and it came out of my left hand from an isocoles hold. It was enough for me at the time. LOL

10. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Depends on the person. I have a friend I would trust with mine... I would let him borrow it for a week if he asked. I have another friend that I would not let look at the firearms I own.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL, Hockalouis, where did you get the "Mr. a gun is a tool" thing? Did you go back a year and read some of my 1st posts? Anyway, interesting responses. I thought for sure some of you would say, "yeah, there is one I don't let people touch." So, maybe I will rethink. I just thought it would be nice to have a gun only I have shot.
    This partially came up because I bought a CX4 Storm & 96A1 this summer, and fully intended to keep track of the rounds thru them. But when we go shoot, people tend to just grab something, load it with their own ammo, and go. So now I can only ROUGHLY estimate what's been thru them.

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

The only guns I have with any restrictions (meaning I must shoot them first): The more "creative" examples of my gunsmith work, that 60 yr old BP revolver I just scored off gunbroker or Its brand new an F@#& it, I got dibs. I agree its not the firearm, its the people shooting them.

Any competent person is more than welcome to shoot whatever I have. Part of the fun of shooting is the shared experiences. One of the coolest things Ive seen at my shooting pit was a guy that let us all have a turn at his ported SW .460. perma-grins all around:D

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There is one thing that I pretty much insist on. If you shoot one of my guns, you use factory loads or commercial reloads from a reputable reloading company.

On the advice of a good friend who is an attorney, no one but me, (and immediate family, of course) shoots my handloads, or anyone else's in my guns.

14. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

As a fellow grandparent I find that my Granddaughters have had arguments over “Papa’s guns” (leaving their brothers without) I have laugh, can you please wait until I’m at least feeling bad. I’M STILL HERE!

15. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Hey, I have this problem myself. I can promise you, though, my bullet counts are accurate to within approximately 5 bullets per gun. All of my rounds are separated by type. After Feb(?) my rounds are also separated by date. If they're just someone at the range wanting to shoot a few rounds through my gun I sit with them and count rounds. My 2 rules for friends is if you want to shoot my guns, you have to buy your own ammo. The other rule is you HAVE to keep track of rounds fired. I take some tiny targets I've got and flip them over and keep track, one tick mark per 5rds of centerfire and 10rds of rimfire. I can take a picture of one to show you if you'd like. I'll upload my Excel file with all of the bullet counts in it. You're welcome to check it out. BTW, the colors are maroon and orange because I'm a Virginia Tech student :D.

Edit: Uploading the Excel Spreadsheet failed, so I took a screenshot of it. PM me if you want the Excel file. Also, note that my ammo type is actually a pull-down menu. I have all of my ammo information on another page. I also calculate how much money my P22 has saved me :D

Attached Files:

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have around 30 firearms...if I'm there, I'll let ANYONE shoot all but one of them...I believe in sharing the sport as Jim Scoutten says.

The one they don't get is my granddads Belgian A5....

image-3824516526.jpg

(amongst the "Italians", third from left).

She's 100% hands off!!

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont let anyone shoot my 458 winmag that im not sure have big bore experience. i dont want a newbie to bigbore calibers dropping my pricey rare winchester model 70

18. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I don't blame you for big-bore stuff. My biggest calibers are 12GA and 762x54R. They're not HUGE, but they're big enough. I'm careful with new shooters or girls shooting them, not for the guns...but for them. If I had a nice 458WinMag....I'd simply explain that to the new shooter. It's a pretty big wallop to shoot a big caliber.

Since all of my calibers are smaller, I lend every one of my guns out to people at the range. I watch the people I don't trust and don't watch the people I do trust.

19. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

I don't lend my guns out nomore last person which was my dad scratched the heck of my guns and expected me to give him one

20. AZL

AZL New Member

I don't let ANYONE touch my Great Grandad's Black Powder Frame .44WCF (.44-40)Colt Peacemaker not ever. Not going to happen. Not until I am on the wrong side of the dirt...then my daughter gets it. Until then, no jackbag is going to get himself killed by fanning the hammer or spinning the cylinder living out a cowboy movie wet dream.

But....pretty much everything else...even my Bren Tens are share-able guns.

Attached Files: