Handloader's Digest or ABC's of Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Which book/manual would you recommend for a noob at, THINKING of, reloading? I know some will recommend both but which would you get first?

Handloader's Digest

or

The ABC's of Reloading

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

The ABC's of Reloading

i'm reading it now. its good. it describes items and procedures well and also shows photos. the downside is they are not in color. but they still show enough detail.

3. 1hole

1hole New Member

ABCs. The books are written for different audiences, the Digest is good but not very helpful to noobs.

4. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Niether. Many of us have reloaded for decades without having seen either of those fine publications.

While both may be informative and interesting I think any good reloading manual will serve you well and give all the instruction you need. With Lee’s Modern Reloading you get instruction as well as load data. Understand the load data is rather generic, but if you use common sense you’ll do fine.

Go to your local gunshop and thumb through a few of the manuals there. Purchase the one that looks the easiest for you to understand. As you get into the hobby, you'll get more.

I have Lyman 49, Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, Modern Reloading (1st and 2nd ed.), and a few older manuals I've picked up along the way.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

This is sound advice. Other good advice is if you have someone you know and trust, that reloads, teach you how. Get the books either way though.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The ABC's is a good starting point. Then you will need a loading manual from one of the bullet companies such as Speer and/or Hornady that gives data for the specific bullet weight (s) you wish to load. Follow the data specifically and do not deviate. Approach the maximum loads with caution. I usually keep my loads several grains below maximum anyway. The bullets hit just as hard for practical applications, easier on barrels, and you use less powder.
    cottontop

7. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I rented the Handloader's Digest from one of my libraries. This is the only one they have in their inventory. Neither one carries The ABC's of Handloading :(

I agree, for a noob like myself I'm not impressed at all by it. It doesnt have any information that I hoped it would.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I may have both of them (I inherited an extensive reloading library and equipment collection) but I started out with the Lyman book. It was a great introduction to reloading and covers everything the noob needs to know before deciding. Based on what has been said by other posters I would say the ABC's would be just as appropriate.

The thing is I would not recommend starting reloading with having read one book (especially if you do not have a mentor to help you along). When you have read the ABC's once or twice then read another one (perhaps the Digest) and then another. With enough reading you should become familiar with the critical concepts. Once you get started with it it is absolutely critical that when loading you stick with one book. I tend to use the Hornady book when loading Hornady bullets, or the Sierra book when loading Sierra. The important thing to remember is do not cross-reference when loading a given round. Does that make sense?

9. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Yes it does. Thank you. I was hoping that the digest one would be more informative.

My father loads shotgun shells, but, I dont think he's done it for a few years. I've heard shotgun and pistol/rifle reloading is different.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It could very well be (not having read it myself... yet). Then again it might be too much to begin with for some people. Better to walk before you run. read the ABC's first and then the digest.

I hear shotgun reloading is very different, but I don't reload shotgun myself. I have the stuff to do it but haven't used it yet. Can't be too bad getting stared in shotgun having done pistol and rifle though.

11. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

For me the information was more of 'what' than of 'how.' I'm wanting the 'how.' It seemed like a collection of subject matter than informational.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book for beginners, if you take the time to read it and understand it. there is much useful information that new reloaders need to know. it teaches the basics about reloading and teaches many factors about reloading safety. i read it years ago and still have a copy on my shelf and still refer to it from time to time. someone mentioned Lee's Modern Reloading book, another excellent book with a lot of information, that is useful to to the beginner in addition to the load data. i highly recommend both of these and add several more load data books as you can afford them. i have Nosler and Speer, both which are very good data books, but not really geared for the beginner.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, like I say I have not read either one. I might go look in my library and read them if I have them.

Not sure I understand what you mean. I suspect that the ABC's deals with concepts and basic understanding whereas Digest deals more with execution. If that is the case you need to absolutely read both.

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The best way to learn is from some one who is a handloader. Gun Shops, Gun Clubs always have guys willing to share their knowledge with someone. Check for an NRA Certified Handloading Inst. in your area.:)

15. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

The Digest seems like a compilation of magazine artilces, maybe thats what a 'digest' is..?

16. klw

klw New Member

Publication of Handloader's Digest isn't going to happen again. Krause Publications, which use to print it, is trying to figure out how to survive in the digital age and Handloader's Digest died because of that. Don't know the status of the ABC's but I would think that it might be gone as well.

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The NRA has the best reloading books and Info. you can find.:)