Handle screws

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by psymmonds, Nov 16, 2012.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

A guy at a shooting was telling me that I needed to replace the screws on my Springfield 1911 handle. Because the stock screws have a tendency to loosen during shootings. But I've been having trouble finding plain flat head screws. Does anyone know where I can get better screws an do I need to get new screw housings as well?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Brooms, hammers, and axes have handles.

1911s have grips!

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i think the guy is full of ...........:rolleyes:

if they aren't loose, i wouldn't worry about replacing them, unless you just wanted to.

6. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have a springfield 1911 and I have never had a problem with the screws becoming loose while I was shooting. My philosophy is if your not having a problem with something, just leave it alone.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you DO have a problem with a screw working loose, a dab of blue Loc-tite on the threads will take care of that.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've also had good luck with small O-Rings.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sounds like a solution to a non-existing problem.

If you Google "handle screws" I could see why you're having a hard time finding 1911 grip screws.

When you say "screw housings" are you referring to the grip bushings? If yes, NO you do not need new bushings. (Unless you are changing out your grips for a slim/thin version, then you will need both new slim/thin screws and bushings.)

If you do decide to use a anaerobic adhesive like LOCTITE Threadlocker, be sure to ONLY use the Blue - Removable version and NOT the Red - permanent version!

10. Axxe55

another point i will add, is to use the proper type of screwdriver to tighten the grip screws. if not using the proper scrwedriver, you may not get them tight enough and could possibly bugger the heads of the screws up.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

And buy the "extra length" type screws-
    They'll help hold the mag snug :rolleyes: :D

12. Axxe55

that's them California grip screws? the ones you have to back off to remove the magazine before replacing with another one!:eek::D

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup- I think they invented them :p

14. Axxe55

also have to retighten the grip screws before firing to give the criminals an equal chance. Calofornia rules regarding semi auto pistols you know.:eek::D

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah-- Arny said "I'll be back, i must tighten screws" :p

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

+1 on vz grips. He's got many options, pretty damn cool ones at that!

17. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

If you buy new screws, get the ones with allen heads. Less chance of buggering the screw head.:D

18. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

The screws were loose when he pointed it out to me. So I tightened them, thinking that maybe during manufacturing they didn't over torque them. Went shooting a week later an they did in fact become loose again. That's why I decided to look into getting new ones