Handguns??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bandit4102, Jun 2, 2012.

1. bandit4102

bandit4102 New Member

Gentlemen I'm looking for a accurate handgun for my wife.. The highest caliber she has shot is a 45 smallest a 38.. Any recommendations...

2. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Concealed carry? Large frame, small frame? How big are her hands? What's the intended use?

3. bandit4102

bandit4102 New Member

Medium sized hands and yes she has her C&C.. More for target shooting and personal protection.. I use a browning Hi power and it's a little much for her..

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

Maybe something like the ruger sr9c? That is somewhere between small and duty size and I live my sr9... if she wants smaller then perhaps a Kahr cw9? I shot a couple and they seemed very nice... also... 9mm is a very efficient round for self defense and cheap enough to shoot a fair amount...

5. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Most all handguns are more accurate than the shooter. Pick a caliber & gun that's comfortable for her and let get proficient with it.

6. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

My SIG Sauer P250 subcompact would be perfect for her if she could deal with the long double action trigger.
    Any baby Glock would work also.
    I guess that it would depend on the budget as well.

7. bandit4102

bandit4102 New Member

Thanks guys really appreciate it

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I really like my light weight Smith & Wesson 38 spl for carry and it is surprisingly accurate. With 125 gr bullets it is a joy to shoot.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I recommend spending a few days at a range with her shooting an assortment of calibers and sizes looking for the combination that she is most comfortable with. My perception of a light recoil, smooth shooting handgun will be different from yours and, more importantly, hers. Also, different guns will have different perceived recoil with the same ammo so it's important for her to get first hand experience before choosing. One other point, as the gun gets smaller, the accuracy declines and the experience needed to handle it proficiently increases...also a small pocket or "mouse" gun is not a pleasant range experience. So if the idea is a gun for range and SD purposes that should be part of the decision process, a gun that she is averse to practicing with will do her no good when needed for defense.

Having said all of that, Glock, Smith and Wesson (M&P), Springfield Armory, Ruger, Kahr and Colt all make quality, accurate revolvers and semi-autos that will fit the bill.

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I fully concur

11. 3spur

3spur New Member

I am a woman and I love my SR 9, if she wants a full size pistol I would say try the SR9!

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Accurate? Revolver. Woman? .38
    K-Frame S&W type (not for carry)...

13. 3spur

3spur New Member

Get her a Ruger GP 100, I just ordered mine, and they are sweet! I got the 4.2 inch Barrel, I'm of the female persuasion!

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would not buy her anything that she has not shot first. It is easy to hold a gun that feels good in your hand and think you like it. Then the first time it goes "Bang" you sudenly hear, "This thing sucks. I hate it".

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree on the SR9C - My wife has had one for almost 2 years & loves it-
    The slide is a bit stiff but doable & its accurate :)
    Handles 10 & 17rd mags also :cool:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG] Jpyle

I could not have said it better!

17. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

My wife is 5'2" at 120 lbs. and she carries a G22 on duty and a G27 off duty.