Handguns that have lost some of their popularity/value...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Wambli, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I just came across an ad for a SA EMP 9mm. A gun I lusted after when it first came out and I still kind of want in the deep recesses of my heart. This was a gun that was all the rage when it came out and nearly impossible to get. Now it's selling for about $200 less than what I remember they used to go for a few years ago. I also just picked up a very nice Kahr PM40 with a factory Crimson Trace laser for a song compared to the MSRP of a few years back. The current owner could barely give it away. I just saw a new Walther PPS for $269. That was a $500 gun when it first showed up!

These guns came out when a nice single stack easily concealable gun in a good fighting caliber was a bit of an oddity. Unfortunately for them we now have a plethora of small ultra-compact 9mm guns from just about everyone and their mother, some going for as low as the $170s range. This has basically flooded that segment of the market and even the hotties from a couple of years back like the Glock 43 are showing up on "sale" locally quite often. The P365 has gone down about $60-70 already from the first examples that I saw for sale locally.

I'm not really used to guns from premium manufacturers depreciating that much over the years. This has me rethinking some of my "wants" for the future. Any thoughts on this or other examples you can think of? Is this a trend?

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I've handled a SA EMP .45 ACP a few years ago, it really felt good to hold and with all the machine cuts in the grip frame it sticks in my hand like glue, if I had the money at the time it would have come home with me, I'd own it shamelessly.

Dallas53 likes this.

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Well there are a few factors involved. First is that prior to Trumps election we had an anti-gun (or at least perceived anti-gun) government in place. The tension that was in the air gave rise to a sellers market. Next was the influx of so many new gun buyers sort of created a fad of the week market segment. New guns come out surrounded by marketing hype; once the newbies are done the market settles and the guns start selling for what they should (scratch that); they sell for less of a hyped up price. I personally think plastic guns like the Glock are WAY over priced. (when you can buy an all steel 1911 that actually required machining to make for the same price as a Glock then the Glock is over priced)

If you are buying for investment or even just to get your money back out of a gun when you sell; stay out of the stores. Stay away from plastic, look at the classics.

Curious which "premium" manufacturers you are referring to whose guns are depreciating?

4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Technically the Springfield in the 45 acp isn't the EMP. The look very similar, and are the same sized pistol, but there are some key differences. The SA in the 45 acp, was called the Loaded Micro Compact 45. With a 3" barrel, tritium nite sights, carry contour beveling of the slide and frame. When I bought mine in about 2011, the MSRP was about $1480 IIRC. I paid $1200 for mine.

The EMP in 9mm and 40 S&W are still offered as current models, but the Micro 45 was discontinued after two years.

I think you would would be pleased with the EMP in 9mm or 40 S&W. They really are nice pistols,and they carry nicely too.

Wambli likes this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Most anything that's chambered in 40S&W has lost value which is hard to understand since I like the caliber. Old school metal semi autos like 3rd gen S&Ws are the best deal going since the black plastic folks turn their noses up on them. Thing is an aluminum alloy framed S&W 915 or 5903 weighs 28ozs. unloaded. A similar sized M&P weighs 25ozs. unloaded and will set you back a good $150-$200 more. At $50 an oz. I'll opt for the 915. Compact Kahrs seem to have taken a hit, I'm watching a Kahr CM45, which got $350 when they came out, sit on Guns America at $275, no takers.

big shrek and Dallas53 like this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would you pay good money for an old, obsolete 1911 when you could have a modern Glock for the same price???

schnuffleupagus and SRK97 like this.
  7. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm glad prices are down

I can buy sell trade more...a chance to shoot more types of firearms before I die

Rifling82 and Wambli like this.
  8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not the biggest fan of the 1911 but I sure wouldn't feel outgunned carrying my 35 year old Colt. The fact that it's as popular as ever 100 plus years after it design says something.

Wambli, Dallas53 and BVAL like this.
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Because I don't like Glocks, not even a little!
    For me they don't point right I just don't like them.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Oldoutlaw and Wambli like this.
  10. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

2 years ago,I bought a brand new Ruger LCP for $200 out the door at a local gun shop. Manual, box, pocket holster, gun lock, everything. When they first came out they were $350 guns around here.

Never would have guessed i could get a new Ruger for Hi Point money

Shopfox, Wambli and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Glock makes a fine working gun, but how is the 1911 obsolete? Why would I ever pay the same $$$ for a plastic and stamped metal Glock or any other polymer gun than I would for a fine 1911? Every critical part inside a Glock I can easily bend with my hands.

I certainly do not feel undergunned or unprotected carrying a 1911. I have a early 1940s Remington Rand that will shoot circles around any Glock I’ve ever owned (and there have been quite a few), and my Wilson Combat (which is now worth twice what I paid for it) is a much finer machined and hand fitted work of art compared to any plastic molded gun. Glock makes a great hammer but in 100 years no one will be getting misty eyed saying “This was grandpa’s old Glock.” as he passes it down to a younger generation.

Billy9mm and Dallas53 like this.
  12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When the Ruger MkIV pistol came out, the LGS started selling the MkIIIs for cost. I bought a couple. The MkIVs may be “better”, but the MkIIIs will always be pretty fine.

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

You mean the one the US military said; they'd rather have a broken Sig that goes off every time you drop it than one of those pieces of chit? No reason; i'm just silly that way. :rolleyes:

14. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Besides I’m not spending any real money on a gun with a frame my dog can destroy by chewing it if he wanted to :D

Shopfox and Jack Ryan like this.
  15. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got a Beretta 92fs Compact, NIB for $415. There are several more on GB auction for sub $450.

At one point in time 92fs Compacts had gone out of production and prices went into unobtainable .

It's a pistol considered outdated by many as plastic guns proliferation for CCW. I submit that there are few pistols with the quality fit and feel of a Beretta.

If you have ever wanted one, now is your chance to get a new 92fs Compact at a near salvage price.

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I'm in no way knocking their reliability/durability but they just don't fit me!

Chainfire and Wambli like this.
  17. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I agree that Obama drove to prices of new and tactical stuff sky high. Didn't affect me at all, I already have everything I need in that niche and I do not collect common tools.

I agree that Glocks do demand a civilian price out of line with their construction but someone has to subsidize the thousands that are sold to LE agencies at or below cost.

I disagree that you need to stay out of stores, I've had GREAT luck finding some excellent investment grade firearms in stores. As anything else you need to be an educated consumer if you are dabbling in guns and expect to protect your investments.

Here are a few "premium" manufacturers that come to mind without thinking too hard:

H&K, I see a lot of P2000s and other LE or Tactical models out there for about 40% less than what I paid for the ones I owned years ago. Happily I sold mine when they were still "hot" and made my money back.

Glocks, every time Gaston "upgrades" to the next generation you loose about %100+ off your current gun.

ANY AR pistol. Tons of them out there for a fraction of what new ones used to command relatively frequently.

S&W, ANY of their new pistols, specially the plastic stuff.

Walther prices have taken a dump considering what they used to go for a few years back, so have FNs.

And so on, and so on...

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

This. They are a pistol I WANT to like but I just can't. Keep buying them expecting to find a model I will just be able to shoot effortlessly and sell them swiftly afterwards when I once again find I can't. I have friends that love them including guys I THOROUGHLY respect. Just not for me.

I had the same issue with SIGs for many years. LOVED the guns but could just not shoot them well without a lot of work on my part. Then they came up with their E2 grip and the short trigger and I now have a fully loaded P226 with a rail, light/laser as my primary bedside gun. That sucker easily shoots itself to COM from anywhere I care to shoot from.

Dallas53 and Pasquanel like this.
  19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am ill with people blaming Obama for "driving up gun prices." It was the FEAR of Obama that drove up gun prices and cleaned the shelves of ammunition. There is a difference. It was a panic, pure and simple.

20. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Any pistol that fits naturally in your hand, and the controls are in the right place, and you just feel that the pistol is natural extension of your arm, is usually a pistol in which you should be able to shoot very well and accurately. The brand name is irrelevant. The caliber is irrelevant. The more natural it feels in your hand, then the better you will be able to control it's recoil and shoot it accurately.

jigs-n-fixture and Wambli like this.