handguns for woman

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by combateffective4, Dec 16, 2012.

1. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

Hi i'm looking for a handgun for my wife... She is getting her chl with me, we tried shooting my for arms but they were too much power .40 and 45
    So i'm thinking a 9mm or 380
    I need some thing not too expensive
    I was thinking a s&w bodyguard
    What else is small ? Recommended?
    Gonna get a list of guns written up so she can handle them see which is more comfortable

Thanks

ForumRunner_20121216_015652.jpg

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We get this same thread at least twice a week. Let your wife select her own gun. Take her to the range and rent guns she is interested in or borrow them from friends. You do your part, negotiate the price and show her were you get the best deals.

We have a section of this forum that is for women only. Let her log on and chat with other woman about what works for women. Butt out and let her become informed.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

You are on the right road. But you have to let her pick what she wants. Not what you think she wants. Borrow or rent as many different pistols as possible. Make sure they are in different calibers as well as different styles. Semi- auto, revolver, with and without hammer. Let her decide what style she likes. And what caliber she is comfy shooting. Having a 357 that she's scared of won't help, it would be better to get a 22 she likes. Because if your scared of it, your more likely to not use it, practice with it or even carry it. Try to find deals after she selects one Just be sure it's her choice.

4. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Bersa .380 is a well made and affordable CC peice.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

What he said-

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do not think that your wife cannot handle a .45.
    There are techniques used that reduce the felt recoil.

(I've seen my share of young ladies shooting .45s in competition.)

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

After I got used to shooting guns, I can handle the recoil of most any gun. It's a matter of learning what to expect and familiarity with what a gun will do when you shoot it. Oh, and I might ad, I am a female.

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Exactly. I have a 1911 and that, in my opinion, is easier to shoot than some of my smaller caliber guns. The weight of my 1911 cuts the recoil. However if she wants a 9 or a .380, I would personally say go with the 9 mm because ammo is so much cheaper and easier to find. I would have her just start holding a bunch of them to see what is most comfortable for her. In terms of recoil, if she goes with a subcompact the recoil will be worse than a full size obviously.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. pancakestud

pancakestud New Member

I picked up a Ruger LC9 about three weeks ago for myself and found that my wife has took it over . She loves the feel of it and can control the recoil very well. I had to go back to my G26 until I pick up another. Not a bad price either at 350 bucks. Good luck with your choice

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Larger/heavier frames handle recoil better. It may not be the caliber she dislikes handling, but just the gun itself. Is not always easy but try and get her to a range that rents firearms for testing. That way she can get a gage for what she may and may not like about them.

11. Obama_is_balls

Obama_is_balls New Member

The sig p238 is your best bet by far. Let her feel one because many women have trouble with the slide. The p238 is super smooth and easy

12. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

Thanks for ths help guys she ended purchasing the nano we unfortunately didn't get the chance to fire the weapons due to the insane prices on renting but she liked how it felt best, and if she doesn't end up keeping it I agreed to take it as a hand me down ;) (I wouldn't mind ) and we would try a different fire arm... Wish is lick Sunday is shooting.. Taking 3 new and out to break them in

13. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

ruger sr9c, beretta px4 subcompact, the new cz75 compact, taurus 740 slim jericho 941 compact. ive handled all of these and they are all quite nice. if your thinking a snubnose revolver i would suggest the ruger lcr due to the fact that the felt recoil is less than the s and w bodyguard model

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Good news. I hope she likes it. Let us know how it goes at the range. Those small pistols can have a good bit of recoil just because they are so small. Let her watch you shoot it first so she can see how it reacts while being shot.

15. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

glad she found 1

16. jhelms

jhelms New Member

My has a .357 mag colt peacemaker in her purse. One of the reasons she is my wife.

17. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

that's true about the slide. that sig almost pulls itself back..lol