Handguns for wolves

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by homelessguy01, May 13, 2012.

1. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I don't hunt wolves and I've not heard of any sightings in NE Washington State where I deer hunt but because I do hunt with a single shot TC .30-06 I also carry my Smith 629 .44 Mag "just in case" I'm set upon by anything on 4 legs...or two.

Tack

3. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

I pack my 629 also whenever im in the woods too. Great shooter that gun

4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

We don't have wolves in Calif. We do have black bears and mountain lions though.

A wolf is larger than a lion but smaller than a bear.

I generally have my S&W model 29 .44 rem mag revolver with me at all times whenever in the woodlands and mountains, and that should work well for either of the three animals, if confronted.

The only time I would not have it with me in the woodlands or mountains is during archery season, when DFG laws forbid it. But in that case any broadhead would do nicely instead.

Attached Files:

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Thought you were into sticks?

6. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

That's all a real man needs after all

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Against a pack of animals a hiking stick used as a lion tamers crook would not do you any good. It's good to have with you at all times. But if you were faced with a wolfpack situation as in Alaska and Canada you would instead need to start blasting away before the first wolf got hold of you. Wolfpacks can grow to a dozen, so you better bring enough ammo with you on your gunbelt as well.

Lions and bears are solitary animals, and so the wolfpack problem would not be an issue with them.

Did you get all that? There will be a test on it later.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

we spent millions of $$$ eradicating these evil creatures and tree hugging morons are bringing these things back :(

yes wolves do not fear people they do not run from people. humans are a under the wolf on the food chain. despite common myth wolves do attack and eat people. ask the russians in siberia about how gentle wolves are

9. kytowboater

Oh yea, my comprehension is grand...

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

There have also been documented attacks in Alaska and Canada as well.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Hopefully you will pass the test then.

:D

12. kytowboater

What do I win?!

13. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Wow, last time this topic came up you denied the validity of those attacks quite vehemently. Did you actually do a little research, or just forget what your opinion was?

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

A rat skin.

15. kytowboater

Tasty. Fry it up with garlic.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Last time, as Johnny Depp would say, in Pirates of the Caribbean, I said the women who were attacked were foolishly out jogging alone, and this provoked a predatory response in the wolves/lion.

Even so, I would normally have my hiking stick and .44 rem mag with me, and would recommend the same for anyone else hiking in the woodlands or mountains.

The question was asked, what handgun? That's the question I answered.

17. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Play nice ladies =)

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

18. 75370

75370 New Member

This S&W 329 .44 Mag.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  19. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Anyone who fights wolves with a stick? Well Hell they have never seen a wolfe in the wild. Wolves killed two very big sheep dogs below my house last month. They are big and tough but rarely take on humans.:eek:

20. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

This is my wolf gun. For four-legged threats I use a load that has a 265-grain Hornady FP flying out at about 1400 fps.

Attached Files: