handguns for big hands?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MOBLEY, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MOBLEY

MOBLEY New Member

I'm just getting into guns and I don't have many places to shop around and test them. I have big hands and am afraid they will swallow most handguns. I've shot a couple and it never felt right holding them. My question is..... What would be good first gun for me?

2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Beretta 92, and variants.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, if your hands are so big that your worried this much about it, the 92 might be the way to go.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Most any full size revolver, add a Hogue grip or the like.

Double stack pistols, Glock 21 comes to mind.

You can also customize the grips on a 1911.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

1911 with Hogue wraparounds :cool:

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

You need to show the OP your wrap around wood grips!

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dang I double tapped again:mad:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Love to :D
    Kinda dirty- Did some shooting yesterday :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I know I've said it already, but that "shore is purty!"

10. MOBLEY

MOBLEY New Member

It's more of a comfort issue. But I will definitely check into everything. Thank you.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks again :)
    Doubt any of use get tired of someone likein our guns :eek:

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

In many cases, changing out grips will make a previously poor fitting gun more comfortable to use.
    As for it being your first gun, what do you have in mind for it? Range only? HD? A little bit of everything?
    If you just want something to have a bit of fun with I recommend a .22 pistol.
    [​IMG]
    Note the grips. They are a fairly inexpensive set for an inexpensive Ruger MK3. But they made it a much easier gun to shoot well.
    Unfortunately this sort of thing will require some experimentation on your part to find what works for you.
    For a all around HD/range gun, if you find a CZ 97 (.45 acp) or an EAA Witness (most calibers, current production large frame) too small, well then I don't know what to tell you. Double stack 1911s might be worth a look. I've not heard of anyone complaining they were too small.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just another option-
    These Peirce under the wood panels are less than $15 & sure help with our "big paw" problem :)

[​IMG]

14. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude New Member

I too have large hands. I tried quite a few pistols and the one I felt fit my hand the best was a Ruger. Wanted a 9mm so my search was on. In New Jersey there are not many gun stores where I live and did a lot of driving.

I found a p95 and was happy with the way it fit my hand. After a week I bought a houge handall rubber slide on grip and that just added the final touch to this pistol. It fits so tight in my palm( bad for the wife with her little hands) my brother ( large hand dude also) wants one also now.

[​IMG]

15. DON1937

DON1937 New Member

My Beretta 92 fits my fairly long hands and the grip surface is more comfortable than any other handgun I own except for the big S&W N frames with target grips. I don't like any grip with sharp checkering.