Handguns for bears ?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by phideaux, Oct 15, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I have read numerous threads ,about which handgun to pack for big bear when hiking or camping in big bear country.

You might consider the pics below. I know the person that took this bear, and it wasnt with a .44 mag 4" or 6" , or any other big caliber handgun

This guy is standing at my LGS, 10'6" tall 1200 lbs of raw power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ever seen a deer run , even when shot in the heart?

I dont know what handgun you should take with you into big bear country, but think about how many .338 Win Mags it took to drop this guy.

Just food for thought....pun intended.:)

Jim

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Yikes. 9 shots? Holy crap. Remember though...that's what it took to KILL it. Not speaking from experience, but I think a bear might take off if shot with a .44 mag. Nutfancy on youtube (hate him or love him) has a lot of bear country hiking experience. He carries a 10mm pistol. Dont know how I feel about that in grizzly territory. But....I'd feel ok with my .357 in areas with smaller black bear.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I recommend carrying a 9mm for bears. You only need two rounds in your magazine. One to piss off the bear and the second for either yourself or your friend's knee cap so you can out run him.

5. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Hahaha yeah no kidding. Hear people all the time saying the gunshot noise would scare off any bear. Ummm yeaahh I'm not betting my life on a loud noise. I'd rather carry bear spray if that was the case.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Some animals you have to shoot once and then just wait for them to die. Moose are commonly that way.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe dude should have aimed for his hairy balls?

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My handgun cartridge would be 45/70 with the name marlin on it or a it would be a 12ga with 1 oz dupo slugs in a 870 or 500 pump. Real if a handgun it the only option 454 ruger 4.20 red hawk with some of these in it- https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=38

If it was black bear what ever you typicaly carry for defence just with a heavier bonded or hardcast load. Guys have killed bear here with 9mm's.

9. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

[​IMG]

What you should use in grizzly country!

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Handguns for Bears.

I really don't think I would want to see a bear with a handgun.

He77, I don't want to even get a Handgun for the Wife.

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

hell an AA12 loaded with slugs should do it, at least that way you get some meat from it.

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'll take this

Attached Files:

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

[ame]http://youtu.be/SL8pbKt8JYQ[/ame]

14. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Where's shoobee when you need him?:p

15. CJx

CJx New Member

I have zero experience with bears, so I can only speculate. Why are bears such a formidable threat? I'm sure bears are fast, but surely they can't be so quick as to make it too hard to shoot them in the head with a gun.

Wouldn't atleast 10 rounds of a good caliber be plenty to kill a bear quickly if you shoot to blow his brain out of its case?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The bear took 9 rounds of 338 Win Mag. I call that a formidable threat. It's not so much that they are too fast to shoot (they are fast though. Depending on the species, they can run at 30-40+ miles per hour.), it's that they can be hard to kill. It's not uncommon for someone to have to shoot a bear multiple times to kill it. Even a good shot is not a guaranteed kill.

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Oh boy, lets see how many untrained people can hit a moving target the size of an apple thats coming at you at 45 mph. Dont forget that the target is also moving up and down and side to side. And all this time you're emptying your bowels into your pants...........lol.............You'll have better luck with the new bear spray, thats if you have time to react, as in both cases..........

18. CJx

CJx New Member

I doubt a bear can run 45mph through the woods and trees. Also, I doubt a bear can move up, down, and side to side so much to make shooting it in the head not a viable option.

Also, why would an untrained person be carrying a gun to defend themselves from a bear in the first place?

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

1) Some bears CAN run that fast. Most, if not all can run at least 30 MPH.

2) Who said you will always be in the woods when this happens?

3) How would some trees slow a bear down unless you were in some extremely thick woods? They could just go around them if there's even a tree between you and it.

4) Shooting it in the head? Have fun with that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GcWhlGF3o[/ame]

5) Untrained? How many people do you know that train to take on a charging bear? Your adrenaline is going to play hell with you making it even harder to hit your target. I guess you could train like you would for a self defense situation, but that may not help much. The bear is a LOT faster and a LOT harder to kill than a criminal would be.

20. CJx

CJx New Member

That video you posted, a competent marksman with a good firearm could have popped that bear right in its face when it was directly charging, a good shot would have popped it in the brain. I don't think it would be easy to shoot a bear in the head, but I think it would be ones best chance for surviving the attack and stopping the bear quickly.

Every situation with a bear will obviously be different. Controlling yourself, waiting for and lining up right shot, and I would say headshot would not be THE hardest way of quickly killing a bear, stopping the threat as quickly as possible.

If the bear actually tried to grab me not just run around me I would try to do everything to stay on my feet and not get knocked down, back up, run away so he doesn't get full power into a takedown.

I don't think anyone should be hiking in the woods if they are not mentally prepared to defend themselves and cope with adrenaline in a life threatening situation.

Also, going around something will make you slower than being able to sprint in a straight line.