handguns CAN deliver "rifle performance".

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by uanda, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uanda

uanda New Member

as far as power is concerned, if you go at the job intelligently.. An M4 starts a 60 gr sp at 2800 fps (at best) and is down to 2300 fps at 150-200 yds, depending upon whether or not the bullet is boatailed. Hit some coyotes with it at that range, and you'll still see much better performance than you will with 230gr .45's, (at 10 yds). A 70 gr .45 bullet can be made to deliver 2300 fps from an alloy Commander, using 460 Rowland brass. It has 4x the 'frontal area" of the .223 bullet, and is quite controllable in rapidfire.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

please show a source where someone is loading a 70 gr. bullet into 460 Rowland cases.

IIRC, i asked you this on another thread. did you choose to ignore my question, or fail to have source that bears out your statement?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ballistic coefficient, and sectional density will negate, "rifle like performance" by shortening effective range and penetration.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What size group do you shoot, with your best rifle, at

100 yards? You actually have shot a coyote in the daytime, at

150-200 yards? Benchrest shooters, at a range bench, with

1 MOA accuracy at 200 yards are shooting inside a 2" circle. Real

life accuracy, in the woods, is a radically different situation. Good

luck hitting a frisbee, from a sitting position, in the open, at 200 yards.

Rifles are rifles, and pistols are pistols, for a reason.

Otherwise, why would anyone want a rifle?

1911s and Rowlands, at the outside best, are 40-50 yard

firearms.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

uanda, I am beginning to question you and the statements you have been making.

Just because you are putting something on the internet does not make it true.

Please cite your references. Otherwise, I have to call BS on all of your posts.

If these are your opinions, then express them as such. If these are facts, then sources should be included.

But to make statements just to make statements is a form of trolling.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I'm getting concerned about Uanda's mental health. Posts about shooting cows, dogs, and all this talk about ballistics. It's getting ridiculous.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a pistol that will come very close to rifle performance. Of course it is a Thompson Contender with a 14 inch barrel and shooting a rifle cartridge!

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pretty close to SOME rifles.....

pistols 013.jpg

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

+1

10. Rick1967

I would ignore him. But the threads are just too entertaining!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

they are mildly entertaining in a juvenile sort of way!:p

as he hasn't provided any sources to the things he has posted, even when asked several times by several of us, it puts most of anything he posts as being suspectful of how true it is.

12. Rick1967

I have found every post of his that I have read to be completely ridiculous.

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I am upgrading this Uanda guy from troll to explosive guerrilla terrorist . All he has done the last few days is get on long standing threads and chunk a grenade post about something off the wall, or he makes his own threads about something dumb and sorta cynical; just planting a land mine and walking away.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Theoretically it would be possible to attain high velocity with sabot bullets but you would probably be limited to pistols like the Contender. The feed problems would make a semi auto questionable at best and the cutting at the gap in a revolver would be very hard on the top strap. The point here is why bother? It appears to be more trouble than it is worth. Dont forget the twist rates. Even if you could attain the high velocity levels could you stabilize it?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  15. JonM

JonM Moderator

nonsense thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.