handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mack g17, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mack g17

Mack g17 New Member

What's the best handgun for self defense for an 18 year old lady?

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

thats a very broad question,you have to consider alot of variables what purpose of selfdefense at home or to conceal,what level shooter is she how big is she for caliber size of gun.really the list goes on and on maybe more detail in your question will provoke better more informed responses.

3. Mack g17

Mack g17 New Member

Thanks for your answer, she's a college student who will be living off campus next year. Plus she really wants to learn how to shoot and one day get her CHL. I own a glock 19 myself, but for her I believe a revolver would be best.

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

my wife likes guns but is not a nut about them i bought her a taurus model 85 38 spl. a few years back and shes likes it like i said though she really has no intrest in shooting anything else really but she does keep up on her shooting enough to be profecient.take her with you to the gun shop have her hold a couple diffrent ones see what feels good also if your able to rent the gun befor you buy is always a plus so she can get a fill for what she likes.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Is the fact that she is 18 matter? What I mean by that is...are you implying that she is slight, or has small hands, or is generally frail? Or is she athletic and as physically capable as the average guy?

Would a revolver be "best" because she cannot figure out the awesome complexity of a semi-automatic pistol?

I'm just wondering if you are bowing to some stereotypes of women shooters or know something about her that we should know to better answer your question.

6. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I would take her to the range and have her shoot a few different calibers to find out which one she would be most comfortable shooting. Then, I would take her to the gun counter and have her hold different firearms in her chosen caliber to find out which one would fit her best. Also as stated before, you'd have to figure out whether it's for home defense or/and conceal carry. Good luck to her in her choice and her collage career

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Without knowing the lady I would suggest maybe a 38 special revolver. and start with the lowest power loads you can find for it(lighter bullet weight helps). In autos maybe a Ruger sr22 or the similar Walther model. Make sure she has ear protection when shooting. Those guns are fun for anyone to shoot. With low recoil and low noise it is much easier to learn shooting basics. They are much better than no for defense and she is much more likely to be comfortable handling and carrying those guns. I have no doubt that she could shoot a 1911 or some such but start small and go from there.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I would say it depends on the individual female involved.

IF she can handle the recoil, I'd say any brand-name

hammerless 38 snub-nose.

If recoil is an issue, then the Glock 9 of her personal preference.

Smaller for EDC only, larger for CCW and range use...

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I too would suggest a revolver. Not hammerless however. A .38+P would be max if not ideal.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't quite get the recommendations of a snub-nose .38 revolver. It has more felt recoil than most semi-autos. It has much shorter sight radius. It typically has abysmal sights. And frankly, it's much harder to hit a target with.

If she likes a 38 snub nose after trying several guns, then more power to her. Can't say I'd recommend one up front however.

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

There's a lot involved with this type of recommendation. I get asked this from time to time being a dealer and also in my past working the streets.

There's no right or wrong answer here. Several things must be taken into consideration.
    -Past experience shooting.
    -Physical strength of the individual.
    -Budget.
    -Intended use of the weapon, CCW or home defense or both.
    -Desire and/or ability to use a more complicated weapon (semi vs. revolver).
    -Amount of time able to be devoted for practice on an ongoing basis.

So, as you can see, this is a very personal decision and no part of the process should be taken lightly. For example, using my wife as a subject, she had experience with weapons in the military. She has a bit of arthritis, so a heavy weapon is out of the question and recoil is an issue also, though she is no weakling. She understands the pieces and parts of a semi, so that's ok. Practice time is limited due to her busy schedule, but her knowledge base somewhat makes up for that. She owns three handguns as a result, all good for her. She has a .380 semi, a .38 lightweight J Frame, and a .25 pocket semi. And she hits the target just fine with the revolver. In fact, I'd never want to be on the business end of it with her behind the trigger. You're entitled to your opinion, Scott, but I've seen a lot of people be downright deadly with a .38 snubby, myself included. Budget was an issue as we're not exactly rolling in money, but getting guns at dealer cost helped here.

Best advice I can give the both of you is to take your time and get these questions answered as best as you can. Try to have her check out several guns hoping that she can do some live fire with at least a couple before you commit to buying anything. With the number of makes and models out there, it can be daunting, but she'll find the one that's right for her after a while. First and foremost, make sure she can practice safe handling in her sleep.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. ScottA

I have a .357 snubby myself, so I'm not knocking the handgun. My point was considering its design tends to require more experience to be proficient, I would not recommend it as a first handgun as is so often the case.

IMO, it is more difficult to be effective with a snub-nosed revolver than with most other handguns. In the hands of an experienced shooter, they are no doubt a very effective weapon. In the hands of a less experienced shooter, I'm concerned it would not be the right tool for the job.

YMMV

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Here I go again :D pushing my opinion for the Ruger LCP 380. Ruger company should be paying me. ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=McLEiRJbjpY&feature=youtube[/ame]

14. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I understand your point now, Scott, and am not completely in disagreement. Some inexperienced shooters can take to a snubby pretty well, others not so much. The lightweights can be more difficult to control for some as they tend not to recover from recoil that well. Another good reason for newbies to try before they buy if possible.

The pocket semis are a good potential choice for some newbies because of the lighter recoil as they are smaller calibers. Either the Ruger, Taurus TCP, or the Keltec are all good options. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Bodyguard .380 only because it has the laser. It's a bad idea to let a newbie get dependent on a laser before becoming a proficient shooter. I wouldn't recommend a newbie go into something small but powerful like the new Springfield XDS. I think something like that in .45 would be too much to handle. Something in 9mm like the Nano, possibly. .45, never.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  15. ScottA

I haven't had an opportunity to try one yet, but I would imagine a .45 in that small of a package would be... eye-opening.

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I see automatics as having a couple points against them in this debate. They must always use full power ammo to function( the 38 spl could use 38 short colt ammo for a very mild start), autos are more complicated and some never have the strength to work the slide. On the plus side of autos would be larger ammo capacity and flatter design.

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

Let's get back to the part where she's 18. I don't know where you're from, or where she'll be going to college, but it might not be legal for her to have a handgun.

Here in Florida, I know it's legal for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun, but not to buy a handgun, purchase ammunition for a handgun or carry a handgun.

If the same is the case in your state, you are talking about a firearm for home defense and possibly — again, depending on laws in your state — for vehicle defense. Also check state laws about firearms on campus; she might not be able to even have it in her car legally while on campus.

Take her shooting, preferably more than once. Let her try as many different guns as you can manage. Then let her choose.

18. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

What states allow people under the age of 21 to own a pisotl?

19. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I live in Florida, and I know for a fact its unlawful for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a pistol. It is also illegal for anyone to transfer a pistol to anyone under age.