Handgun windage & elevation adjustments, huh?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Vincine, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Can someone ‘splain me the utility of windage & elevation adjustments on a handgun?

I can appreciate the need for them on rifle work, but for the much shorter distances normally associated with pistols & revolvers, what’s the point? How much drift can be expected by a bullet in 15- 20 feet? That would have to be a hell of a wind.

???

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

fully adjustable sights are primarily just for target shooting. self defense sights arent even needed so drift adjustable on the rear work just fine

3. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

When I am using my Redhawk at 200 meters I find that adjustable sights are quit helpful.
    TGR

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It helps with my .38Spl going from non +p to +p or different weights (basically like JonM said, target shooting.)

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Redhawk @ 200 meters! I'm impressed. I was speaking more of snubnose guns with adjustable sights.

(How long is the sight radius on your Redhawk?)

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bottom line is if a pistol has any type of adjustable sights on it I want them to be on whether I use them or not! There certainly as mentioned is a distinct difference between target precision shooting and concealed carry and point shooting. The same applies for me, if and AR Rifle for example has optics on it and I am using optics on it whether I ever use them or not. You can bet the iron sights will be zeroed also! Rifle or Pistol! ;)

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Okay, this makes some sense.

8. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Adjustable sights on a handgun are mainly for getting point of aim and point of impact to same place, not compensating for wind and such, and their mainly for target shooters just as JonM said

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

This is from the S&W ‘Bodyguard’ site:

>User Adjustable: Windage and elevation, no disassembly required<.

It has a 1.9” barrel. Do people really target shoot with snubnoses?

10. Jay

Jay New Member

I use adjustable rear sights on handguns to teach classes with. Being able to align sights properly applies to any firearm, and should be a fundamental skill. Even if you're just chasin' rats around the barn with dad's old .22, you'll most likely be inclined to use the sights.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I find that my sight picture is different from another person using the same gun. I might prefer the sights a little higher/lower left/right than another person. The adjustments allow me to customize the sight picture to me, rather than me adjusting to the gun.

My glock does not have and adjustable rear sight and I don't shoot with the target dead center , I have to aim left about an inch or 2 at 10 yards.

12. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

The sight radius is 9 1/8 in., the normal loading is a 180 gr.Sierra that chronos @ 1665 fps.
    This one of the early Redhawks (500 series)

TGR

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

its mainly a marketing tool. generally adjustable sights are a negative on a carry piece. most folks that S&W are aiming that model at dont know much about what makes a good ccw gun.

windage as in left or right is the most important thing in ccw. better to be off in the vertical than off in the lateral. the critical area in SD is much taller than wide. the veritical extends from just above the bottom of the breast bone to the top of the head. the horizontal limit is a little less than the width of the neck.

thats why elevation isnt critical for a self defense gun when poa is centermass. the poi can vary by nearly a foot either way but only a few inches left or right.

a lung shot may not stop the attacker in time. a scum bag hyped on drugs or adrenaline may not even feel a shot that is not centermass until its way too late for you.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

"Snub nose" -- No need IMO-
    Any gun with a 4" or more barrel they do (or can) have a use - again IMO

15. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Please allow me to chime in, all of this talk of adjustable rear sights, what ever happened to sight picture, sight alignment and trigger control:confused:

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

See, it didn’t make any sense to me at all, but what do I know, so I asked.
    I thought it was a con job on real short barreled guns, or at least those with a short sight radius.

I guess I just wanted to 'hear it'.
    (The S&W isn't the only snub' I found with them.)

The point of the bigger adjustable sight stuff getting hung up on clothing is something I hadn’t even considered.
    Thankx

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

When I shoot my glock and line it up with a perfect sight picture, it shoots to the right. I'm pretty good with pistols too. You could shoot my glock from a benchrest, it shoots right. My adjustment is almost natural at this point because I'm so familiar with the gun but an adjustable rear sight would allow me to have a perfect sight picture. Assuming that the adjustment never gets out of alignment.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

On hunting and target handguns used at 25 yds or more Adj, sights are a must. As for my carry guns no Adj sights. The sights can get caught on clothing or can change from being dropped etc. The fixed sight handgun for close range combat is the way to go.:D

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

why dont you just drift the rear sight a little to the left??

20. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I do, that's my solution to the problem on my particular gun. I shoot very well with it, it takes others a few shots to pick up it's flaw. It's a great gun to show why training with the gun you are going to rely on in an emergency is very important. Each one is unique in it's own way.