Handgun vs Long or shotgun for Home Def

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by 7point62, Jan 3, 2011.

1. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are probably as many different opinions on this subject as there are gunowners. I wanted to share my views on this, for what they are worth, and read what some of you have to say.

Personally, I'm in the handgun camp for a few reasons.

1. There is less mass to wield. That usually means the weapon can be brought into play faster.

2. Weapon compactness allows greater freedom of movement through hallways, on stairways or in tight spaces.

3. A handgun can be kept on a nightstand with other essentials, your cellphone and your glasses, if you wear corrective lenses.

4. A handgun allows you to keep one hand free, (and for this reason, no matter how entrenched you are in the two-handed stance, it's wise to practice shooting one-handed. Get good with both hands.) The free-hand can hold the cellphone. You will want to be in contact with authorities as soon as possible for a number of reasons, not least being the legal ramifications that you are sure to encounter if you discharge a weapon at an intruder.

5. There is less likelihood of injuring others in your home.

6. The accessible handgun arms you for movement to your other weapons.

7. The chances of an intruder wearing a ballistic vest is almost nil. You'll likely be dealing with dirtbags, not ninjas.

8. The least important reason, you'll do less expensive damage to your home.

Most of you have probably spent considerable time thinking out your own plans, my reasons may not be applicable to your situation. You may have better reasons for using a long gun. Just my 2c.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My knowledge is very limited but I was also told a gun with a shorter barrel will be harder for someone to grab and try to wrestle away from you. Maybe I was told that because I am 'a girl', I don't know. I have a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. I debated a long time whether to get the 6" or the 4" barrel but opted for the 6" with the hopes of reducing recoil and better accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Handguns are comforting and convienient,they can be grabbed and carried around the house if you hear a noise with no effort,you can answer a doorbell ring at midnight with it behind your back(so if it's just your neighbor asking if you seen his puppy you won't freak him out)etc,but if I know s#!- is going to hit the fan and I hear my door being kicked in at night,I WILL grab that shotgun I got in my closet that's loaded with some 00 critical defense rounds rather than my pistol.

4. BIGBEN

BIGBEN New Member

You can never know the level of determination someone has,their h2h skill level,so on.If i think im going to have to go outside in the open,im taking my AR.But nothing scares the general population more than a shotgun,especially with a 200 lumen light on the end.While pistols can be moved around easier,i like to have a light for hd.And my pistols have no lights.

5. montveil

montveil New Member

A shotgun with a wooden stock is also a great vertical and horizontal butt stroke weapon.
    I guess I'm dating myself as my training was with 3006 M1/ M14s type weapon. I really don't know about the new lightweight weapons with synthetic stocks etc

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Different strokes for different folks. In the event of a problem with the shotty by the snooze button, my loaded XD45 & 5 loaded mags are in a drawer reachable from the other side of my bed (reachable from sleeping position). I guess if i didn't want to wake anyone else up, i could use the bayonet on the SKS standing beside the furniture containing the XD45 ;) . If it really hits the fan, i'll throw one of the cats at them.

7. 7point62

:D:D

But why bother using your Mossberg as a "club"? What's the point? He's in your house, you've got a loaded firearm, you tell him to stop and he doesn't--why not just shoot him? Why risk a hand2hand encounter with a guy who might be jacked up, or the possibility of your shotgun being taken from you? Why allow the threat to get within arm's reach of you if you have the power to prevent him from doing so? I can clearly understand the need for clubbing if the intruder is a drunk neighbor who mistakenly went to the wrong house...but if it's a stranger...kill him.

8. 7point62

Same as above. Why bother with a buttstroke, horizontal or vertical? Just shoot him.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Though the occasion might be rare, i'd like to have a less-lethal option available for potential problems with: visiting nephews :rolleyes: (last person i threw down after being awoken in the middle of the night was a nephew) , drunken pranking buddies, and misplaced wildlife. I've had to clean up after batting a racoon & it was much easier than plastering holes in the wall or fixing a hole in the floor.

I have considered using one of those pepper spray-infused bean bag rounds as the first round in the Mossy.

Truly, the main reason i would grab the Mossy first is familiarity; i've had it for many years & used it more than any of my firearms, though mostly for hunting. I've also shown most of the roomates i've had over the years how to use it for HD (so easy a hippie chick can use it).

10. 7point62

Valid points. But again, as far as H2H is concerned, my imperative is to never allow anybody to get within arm's reach of my weapon. I don't care what their skill level is, I'm going to shoot them before I have to find out. You're also right that a shotgun has an intimidation factor, but why bother intimidating? While you are intimidating he can be drawing a bead on your forehead.

You're life is at stake. You've identified the target as a threat. My argument is, don't waste time. Don't think about intimidating or butt stroking or trying out your karate. Shoot em. Terminate the threat.

As far going outside, I agree. I'm going to grab my 870 or my AR on the way out.

11. 7point62

:D:D

Copy that, comfort and familiarity with a particular firearm is a good reason to make it your go-to.

12. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I would just like to point out that the over all legnth of a man holding out a pistol it the ready position can be just as long as some carbines out there.

13. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I'm a shotgun Guy

Although we have a handgun, I have no idea where it is and I think the person in the house who hides it sometimes forgets himself. If anyone were to break in, I would go for the 870. I have some old duck loads that I would use. They are Remington Express loads, with "Kleanbore priming" with "New Plastic" and extra power. These are some OLD shells, back when using lead for waterfowl was legal. They are 3" mags and are in in 4 1/2 1 7/8 BB. I've seen em in action. They've killed geese, who even after being shot with a 12 gauge shotgun, and falling, have still managed to run away, try to bite me, then with broken necks honk like the dickens to their flying friends to stay away. I don't know about you, but if someone hit me with a shotty, I would stay down.

ARs have been proven to have less penetration, only going through two sets of drywall, whereas shotguns and handguns went through three. If not in a rural area, this could be a problem. I saw this on some tactical show on the outdoor channel.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

In the immortal words of c3shooter, "My hand gun is used to get me to my shotgun.", or something like that.

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Im a bit biased towards the shotgun on this one....

1. Do not need a permit to buy one
    2. Wide variety whether you want a pump, semi, or a side by side or whatever
    3. Generally, you can find them for a lot cheaper
    4. More user friendly...dont need to aim...less time practicing..just focus on reloading and troubleshooting
    5. Stopping power...yea pistols are good...but 8 .32 cal pellets are awesome
    6. Damage to home? with a full or extra full choke, buck shot spread wouldnt be too wide at a range of up to about 25 yards..and it doesnt over penetrate

Only downside I see to it is quick access storage and overall length but you can always get a stubby with a pistol grip

But one question.....How does having a pistol mean a lesser chance of accidental injury in the home?

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not arguing with the handgun or the shotgun. They both have their time and place. However I have been wondering about a pistol calibre carbine like the KT Sub2000 or similar. The PS90 is also intriguing with its 50 rnds of 5.7x28. They stay tight to the body and require less skill than a handgun and less recoil than a shotgun. The spread from a shotgun at 10-15' is almost non existant. You do need to aim.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Exactamundo! The handgun is what you use to give you time and space to get to your long gun, shotgun or rifle. I will entertain zero arguements on this.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a new post in the shotgun forum about a new shotgun from Kel Tec. It might be the do all HD/SD weapon. It has my attention. I would also like to see a carbine version of their new 30 round 22 Mag pistol.

19. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Preface:. In general I prefer my handguns to shotguns, and my only shotgun is out of commission because of a dumbass mistake...

While I agree that for a protracted running fire fight against the undead/evil jackbooted thugs of oppression/gang war/Taliban/Klingon invaders a handgun isn't sufficent in a HD/SD it's more important to remove the threat ASAP not arming up then taking the fight to him/evacuating.

Now if you live in a bigger house if you walk past you gun safe in the process of finding/removing the thread I can kinda see the point, but I've only lived in apartments, so I don't know for sure.

Based on a mix of familiarity/power/ability ny personal preference for HD is this...
    1. My XD40
    2. Kimber 1911
    3. Springfield 1911
    4. My AR-15
    5. My 30-06
    6. My AR-57 (only because I'd have to take the lower off the AR-15 first, unless I want a bat with BUIS)

Oh and to the guy who asked about the synthetic stocks compared to the wood stocks of the M1/M14, they still hurt, and can still break ribs and people. They aren't the super fragile POS that some make them out to be because they fear change and technology. I'm not sayin' you're one of those people, but I've met some.

20. montveil

montveil New Member

I guess I was replying to the point that the BG might grab your handgun which would put one is a very close combat position. In such a case a larger piece of wood and metal might be preferable to a handgun.
    I AGREE WITH ALL. I WOULD SHOOT THE BG EARLY, FIRST AND FAST