Handgun Shotshell Question - effectiveness

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by OldYeager, Oct 21, 2009.

1. OldYeager

OldYeager New Member

Have thought about this question for some time. The effectiveness of a handgun shotshell in self defence. I have done a little pattern testing of 38 spec out of a 4" revolver. But I see where shotshells can be bought for other calibers as well.

Has anyone seen any data on geletin tests or penetration tests, etc?
    My guess is that they might be effective maybe 6 to 8 feet. That range would be enough to keep a carjacker out of your car ok. Just wondering.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Why? Wouldn't the muzzle of your pistol be enough to deter a car jacker? Then if they continue, why not shoot these?

[​IMG]

.38 Special Federal Hydra-Shok 110 Grain JHP

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Snake shot is just going to really piss someone off.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

And again, I agree with Matt. You will end up blinding, maiming or disfiguring the attacker, who will then sue you for every nickle you ever earned!

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Self defense means defending yourself, not just making some crackhead angry. If your load can't do the job, don't carry the load. :rolleyes:

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you read of the many and varied opinions on the Taurus Judge handgun? It is a 45lc/.410 shotshell pistol. I do not have one, but did consider one for similar reasons to the "carjacker" one you posted. You might find researching it interesting/enlightening.

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I wouldn't recommend this weapon. Mine cracked under the forcing cone after less than a box of .45LC cowboy loads. That can be attributed to a one in a million mistake at the factory, but it was still quite inaccurate with .45 ammo and the performance of .410 shells was lacking as well. Take a look at some of the tests they ran at The Box O'Truth.

The gun is also rather large and bulky for a five shot revolver. There are much better options for self defense revolvers.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The Taurus Judge .410 shot shells can work well for defense purposes, but anything less than that is pretty useless. Shot shells in 9mm, 40, .45, aren't going to defend you against much beyond birds, snakes, or the occasional rabid frog.

And as has been mentioned, the .410 Judge is a bit lacking with regard to practical defense applications...there are just a lot of better options out there.

9. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

A good option would be using a nice wadcutter round. Less blast than the hollowpoint defensive rounds out there on the market today, and you will still get great penetration and energy transfer, especially at close ranges.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Shot shells in a pistol are for snakes or varmits, not for use on people. I have some 45 ACP shot shells. l Shot a couple and quickly figured out they were good for nothing. JHP is the best I can offer to a threat.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

Wadcutters are for range use at best. Not a good or reasonable option for defense. First choice is JHP second would be FMJ. Wad cutters, is a tampon round when it it come to stopping the threat.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Small shot simply does not have the mass to penetrate to the depth of vital organs. And any firearm with a rifled bore has a tendency to "doughnut" the shot pattern. IMHO, stick with the ball loads. Used to load and carry 38 and 45 shotloads for SNAKES at range of 10 ft. For bad guys, JHP.

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Would these even be good for snakes at 10 feet? Just doesn't seem like it would carry much energy any distance. I've thought about picking some up for one of my 357s to use for a snake gun while working our hunting lands during the summer (we have some trophy copperheads and rattlers) but usually end up taking a 410.

15. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

here's kind of a noob question. is it advisable to shoot shotshells through a rifled barrel? even one that short? i know they sell them so people do it, but it seems like it would degrade the grooves. i don't know, i don't have any experience with these types of shells so i was just wondering that. it's kinda the reason i never tried them in my own guns.

as far as self defense goes, i would think one big projectile with a decent load behind it would get the job done.

also, there is talk about the taurus judge in this thread. i don't know about how well the gun is built, but the last time i went to the range the guy next to me was shooting the 410 shells through it and at around ten feet the spread pattern was about the size of a human face. even with a weaker load behind it, i think that would at least be somewhat effective.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IF shooting shot loads thru a rifled barrel hurts it, there is a SERIOUS problem with quality of the barrel. Lead shot is MUCH softer than the steel of a barrel- and with many shot cartridges, the shot is actually in a plastic cup. It is a good idea to clean the barrel to remove any tace of plastic fouling, but no, will not hurt the gun.

BTW, this is not an unusual question- gets asked a lot.

17. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

now i know. thx.

18. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I keep a few handgun shot shells handy for those few times I may find a use for them, such as injured birds, snakes n' such. Self defense? No way. Even the Judge has it's distance limitations unless the shooter is using the .45 Colt caliber ammo, or slugs. Fun gun, I'd like to own one, but I would not carry one for self defense.

19. OldYeager

OldYeager New Member

Not for Defence I guess

I was using google today and found an article that seems to answer this question. Gives examples of range tests with many calibers. Some interesting info here. Link posted below.

(Handgun Shot Loads Work For Pests But Not Defense)

Link > GunWeek.com

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I have always had 22mag shot shells around the house for the occasional Starling (a glossy black bird that takes over our Robin's nests and eats their young) infestation. They are mean birds and have even swooped down at my dog and 3 year old so I started killing them occasionally. I hate to do so, but it seems it only takes one and they disappear for a while. Also, the authorities here don't really seem to rush anywhere in the case of minimal gunfire.

But this summer I took a CCW class from Colorado Handgun Safety and they actually recommended this type of load for home defense, for the purpose that it will not penetrate any shared walls in case of a miss and will also cause considerable damage to the intruder, most of it being when the pellets have to be dug out, rather than the entry wound. After some research I found that they aren't appropriate for home defense.

I do still carry one speed loader full of the .357 shot shells on walks with my dog. We walk in a hilly/prairie type area here in Southern CO with grassy areas snakes would love and have been spotted. They're good for that still.