Handgun Selection

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MakarovJAC, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC New Member

I was thinking about picking up a handgun. Personally, I don't consider having one that's big enough as half my arm, so thinking into something compact would be my best choice. To date, the only aviable models I've found in the market are these:

-Bersa-Thunder Ultra compact Pro
    -S&W Chief Special
    -Taurus PT738

My first choice's the Bersa, but a friend of mine told me it in this way "Argentina is only good at making three things: a milanesa, women; and bad jokes." So, seriously, are argentinan weapons that bad? What are the risks? Are they too defective?
    Anyways, I was thinking then in the Chief Special, but I don't like the idea of only 8 shots.
    And the Taurus is quite small, but only holds 6 shots.

I would like to know about pros and cons of argentinan guns. And if there would be any better options to the other models I've shown.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

This raises a lot of questions. What's the intention you're picking the handgun for? What caliber(s) were you thinking about? What's your budget range?

3. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC New Member

Well, I was thinking into compactability, magazine size, and more importantly, recoil. The Bersa is 9mm Luger, the Chief special is 9mm Luger and the Taurus is .38 SPL. I though about a .45 but then I realised it woul have a goo kick, and they wasn't aviable the models with a good mag size.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the Bersa in .45. Great gun. I would not buy another Taurus no matter how cheap it was.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I think it would be worthwhile to find a way to expand your seach in areas where more options are available. That said, everything I hear tells me that Bersa makes a really solid little gun. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if it fit my needs.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Thanks for more information. When it comes to a 9mm there are a whole lot of choices especially in the compact versions. Some of my recommendations are the Ruger SR9c, Glock 26, Glock19, Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm, and a Compact Sig Saurer. I would stay clear of Taurus, because based on my research and what others have experienced with thier firearms they're not very good. You might want to take into consideration a K frame sized S&W revolver like the model 19, 65, and 66. They all are .357 magnum/.38 special.

7. formerCav

formerCav Active Member

I carry a full sized Kimber Polymer Target 1911 with target sights and it holds 14 +1 rounds of .45 ACP. The recoil on this with 230 FMJ or Remington Golden Sabre Hollow points which are +P loads don't have anymore recoil then a gov't model 45. Matter of fact, I'm certain that the recoil is LESS then shooting a model 586 S&W revolver that had a 4 inch barrel and is shooting Magnum factory loads.
    The secret to carrying a full sized 1911 is to have the proper holster and gun belt. If you email me back channel with your standard email address I'll email you pictures and all the details.
    The Kimber I have is no longer available as NEW, but it can be found used for about $700. You could also buy a Para Ordinance full sized 45 that holds 14 rounds of 45.
    HTH
    Bob

8. orangello

orangello New Member

So, the Bersa Thunder in .380 didn't interest you? I had one and found it very compact & reliable & reasonably accurate & not bad looking...until my sister found it to have the same qualities. I bleve they have a 7 & a 15 round version; i had the 7 (9 with extended mag with finger rest). I liked how it would sit in a back jeans pocket pretyy comfily.

I will pick up another one some day, hopefully in the flat nickel finish again.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  10. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC New Member

Sounds like a good deal, personally, I'm not a big fan of Glock. I'll try and get more info about it.

11. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Don't knock Glock...just don't buy it. LOL! Seriously, I think that XD will do you right. I just bought an XDm. I love it more than my G17 and I haven't even put a round through it yet.

12. Glock23

Glock23 New Member

I would go with the Kahr CW45 or CW9. The price is not bad and the and the 45's recoil is very manageable also they are very compact in size.

13. pistolero_loco

pistolero_loco New Member

I agree with this (IMHO)

As stated above Ruger SR9C, Springfield XD or XDM, and Glock in 9mm are all great choices. Another excellent choice is the Beretta PX4. These are all quality pistols at affordable prices. They are all easy to break down and clean. They are all "mainstream" so when you need accessories or parts you will be able to find them. If you want something small to carry a Kahr PM9 is a good choice to look at. I can say that I haven't heard many good things said about Tauras. I personally am not into revolvers, but S&W and Ruger make some very nice ones. I also am not a big fan of the 1911 platform, but if I were going to get one of those it would be a Kimber Tactical or STI Guardian both in 9mm. (.45 is too expensive to shoot, and to be a good shot and fully comfortable with your pistol, you need to shoot alot).

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have the ruger sr9 and springfield xd, i love them. the ruger is small but not so small it still feels right in my grip. and my xd. just well i love it.

15. vincev

vincev New Member

Your friend is correct about argentine guns.I hope your life is of more value than a cheap gun.Taurus is probably the crappiest of the three.The Smith ONLY hold 8? How many ya need? Many good suggestions are given by the other members. I like the Springfield xd.Sell many of them and none ever are returned for repair. Buy quality ,you wont regret it. Let me give you a hint when you go into purchase a handgun.Sure signs of a novice is that they slam the slide shut with one hand and they look for the firearms that hold the most "bullets".

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Your going to have to find something that you like to carry and shoot. Something that feels good in your hand. If it is to heavy you will leave it at home.

Me I like my Springfield XD45C with my Taurus Model 85 as a back up. Sometimes I carry my Sig P239 or 229 in 9mm.