Handgun question for military folks

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sm3lliot, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Im getting my first "serious" handgun soon, and I prefer the striker fired platform (it's what Im familiar with and I like the consistency over DA/SA). However, I'm going military within the next year or so, so presumably I'll spend some time with the DA/SA platform. Does the military offer enough handgun training to sway my comfort level over to the DA/SA side of things? I prefer the DA/SA offerings currently available to the striker fired offerings. The striker guns win out because I'm much more capable with their trigger.

Basically what I'm asking is would it be worth it to go with a less comfortable platform since I'll receive countless hours with it? Does military training make you extremely comfortable with DA/SA pistols? Or would I be better off with what I know?

Sorry if Im not making sense, thanks for any input.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends heavily of which branch of the military, and what you do there. In most cases, I wound up shooting on my own much more than I shot for Uncle Sam.

And I was an Infantryman. Folks that were not combat arms shot less than I did.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

SM,

The Army will be giving you training with the M-9 which is the same as the Beretta Model 92 9mm pistol.
    Yes you will learn to be proficient with it! But may not change your preference regarding the striker fired pistols. I carried a 92-F Berretta for years. If was the issued weapon and we shot them very well. However today it is not my choice for myself. I shot expert with the 92-F which is the same as the M-9. But there are some other fine weapons out there but are striker fire weapons. Examples the Glocks, XD series Springfield's and S&W M&Ps. I also like the Sigs very well. But the M-9 and 92-Fs have it's own feel and fit. Good luck and best wishes for joining the greatest military in the World. "The USA Military"!

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

unless you end up being MP, you'll probly only recieve a few weeks of handgun training/ shooting a year. and i would not be worried one bit about trying to change your likes right now.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dont worry about it. If you get sent to a land of heathen death cults (middle east/europe) and your needing to use a handgun you wont have to worry about the da pull. You will only have ten rounds in a mag pouch with an empty pistol to start with.

If they even give you a pistol much less ammo for it.

If its down to handguns your prolly not coming back anyway. Least of my concerns would be a da/sa transition as military use it never happens

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would agree, if the bullets are coming your direction you won't notice if the trigger weighs 10 lbs and if its striker or SA/DA reliability would be your main concern.

7. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

if the military branch you end up in decides that your job requires you to have a pistol, they will issue you one along with instruction and practice in using it.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to periodically carry a m1911. I was required to qualify with it once per year.

My issue weapon was an M-1 carbine.

Unless you're going into military police your issue handgun will be much more a "badge of authority" than an actual weapon, even in the unlikely event you are issued one.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

So, what do you have now that is not a "serious" handgun?

Practice can make you proficient with any platform, no matter what you like or dislike.

Open your mind, accept that not all things are the same, and use what is at hand in the best manner possible.

Be it guns, gear, training, and other people.

If a little thing like striker fire vs hammer bugs you, then the military is not for you. Accept, adapt, and carry on.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The more platforms you are familiar with the better off you will be. I show up with different guns at IDPA not to show of my collection. But to make sure I am proficient across many different platforms.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Don't worry about what you shoot. To many people get all wadded up over a certain brand or type handgun or trigger group. Give me any brand or type of handgun and let me shoot 6 to 10 rounds or so and I'll be fine with it. Give me 400 rounds thru it and I'll carry it .

12. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Well maybe if I'm more proficient with that DA pull I can leave one less heathen death cult member for a buddy to deal with :D
    Joking aside, I understand your point.

I've got a ruger sr9. It's solid enough, just not "bet your life" reliable. And I'm fairly certain the military will do a decent job of instilling adaptability, and I'm proficient with da/sa guns (I just like striker fired if I get to be picky).

My main question was how much training I'd get under the DA/SA platform, and based on what people say it won't be very extensive.

13. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

Wait a second. You're telling me that if I go out and buy XYZ brand gun, I wont automatically become a high speed, pistol packing death machine?! I have to "train" with it?! :D

I get your point, and I'm certain that I could easily make the switch to DA/SA with a bit of training. I was simply wondering how much trigger time the military would contribute.

I truly appreciate all the responses, thank you gentlemen.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

a few days of classes and dry fire. a few days on the range shooting xx number of rounds. something like 250.. you can get way more practice on your own at a gun range. the pistol is just not a main component unless your a MP. then you'll have one everyday... my pistol qualifier consisted of 1 day.. here's a pistol, this is how it works.. heres your ammo. go to the line. listen to the range master. all done.

and i never carried one after that. just my m16a4

15. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I got trained in bootcamp and didn't qualify. And I was experienced at shooting handguns. They made it really stressful, and made us over think it. Part of it could have been a indoor range, idk though. But then they sent me out to Arizona for three days for a refresher and I was 3 points away from expert. And I had a horrible M9 that needed help cycling. The slide kept getting stuck and my range coach just told me to slam the bottom until the slide went froward.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. danf_fl

Ruger will try to make the firearm reliable. Have you contacted them or are you satisfied with it as is?

You put some of your hard earned money to get it, now get it in shape.

There is not excuse for any quality firearm not to be reliable enough to "bet you life" on. And Ruger has been in business long enough to build reliable firearms.

17. danf_fl

Well, most I have met in my branch of service flew a desk and had little to do with firearms (except for annual training).

Will you become an expert marksman in the military? Possibly. But most people don't, and only efficient enough to get by.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Sm3lliot I think the military will offer more than enough training have a chance to become well skilled . Then its more about your natural ability to be best in your group or be the worst . Someone has to be at the bottom of the pile !! I have met people out of the military that were very good with long guns but simply can not shoot handguns worth a damd . Became leos and still shot like poo years later . If your a good shot with any handgun in general and posses good common sense a weekend at the range with something totally new should leave you in good shape . Then it all up to how you handle high stress moments in time .

Chances are if you become highly stressed you won't feel the difference between a 10lb DA and 5lb SA pull , only a tactical sight view of the target and won't even remember pulling the trigger .

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife's and my SR9c's have not malfunctioned. I know people that went through Thunder Ranch With SR9's with no malfunctions. If yours is not reliable get it fixed.

20. Kazakune

Kazakune New Member

Going into the military doesn't automatically mean you'll be saddled with a handgun and have to qualify with it. The need for a handgun will be based on your MOS and even then might end up being a command decision. The time I spent in the Corps I only qualified on the M16 though others in my company were pistol and/or shotgun qualified as well.