Handgun Purchase in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Glock45, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Glock45

Glock45 New Member

I am a Florida resident with my concealed carry license. Can I purchase a handgun in Mississippi I have been told yes and no? Any help?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You'll have to go through an licensed dealer since you are out of state. Buying or selling privately is illegal across state lines.

Now please go by the introductions thread and tell us about you. :)

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sure, but it will have to be sent to an FFL in Florida for you to legally pick it up...

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the Irishman above me just said- you may not purchase a handgun except in your state of residence (note- some folks have more than 1 state of residence).

Translation- you cannot buy and take delivery of a handgun in another state unless you have a FFL. It will need to be shipped to a FFL holder in YOUR home state for transfer to you. Federal law. 18 USC 922. Rifles and shotguns are different.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

About where in Florida are you? If in the panhandle, maybe I can assist.

6. Glock45

Glock45 New Member

Thanks for the help.

I live in Bay County but am currently living in Mississippi for the summer. I have a Glock 30 and can carry it comfortably walking around but its a pain when sitting down. I am looking into getting a smaller possibly a .40 cal for a concealed carry.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Santa Rosa County.

8. Chamoru2002

Chamoru2002 New Member

Hope this helps but you would first have to purchase your firearm from a licensed dealer. The dealer shall record your info no matter what state you reside from. Your concealed permit to carry a handgun on your person and/or in your vehicle is perfect to transport your weapon back to Florida. Keep in mind that some dealers are NOT registered within the state to sell weapons and that would be the only reason why you would need a dealer (FFL) to receive the weapon for you. Ultimately, you can purchase a weapon in Mississippi even if you're from Florida. Your permit for concealed weapon carrying is valid and honored in Mississippi and Alabama (forgot this state too didn't ya?). Good luck with your purchase!