Handgun Penetration

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by xxxmikey, Jul 6, 2009.

1. xxxmikey

xxxmikey New Member

Hey all, im new to this forum andhave a question. A guy i know owns a jewlers and not long ago was robbed at gun point, he then chased the guy down the street and the robber turned and fired. The round hit the shop owner but it hit his mobile phone, and bounced off. There was a small hole in his suit but the round didnt go past the phone, it bounced off.
    Is this possible, the guy now thinks he is absoloutly indestructable but would a round from a pistol really be deflected that much if you think it has to completely bounce off at a 90 degree angle to avoid hitting him.
    I have a few rifles and a shotgun and am not too familiar with handguns.

If this is true then why are we not equipping the armed forces with our old mobile phones, it dont make sense to me.

cheers guys.

mike.

2. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

There are so many variables and random possibilities here, I couldn't even begin to guess what could've happened. Without knowing any answers to some basic questions, i.e., caliber, distance, etc., I would give this one up to plain-*** dumb luck.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

First off, welcome to the FTF community.

As far as bullet deflection, it sounds like it just wasn't that guys time. :cool:

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Smaller caliber handguns like .22, .25 and .32 may well do something like this. A .380 might in the proper circumstances. Anything larger/more powerful is not likely to be stopped by a modern cell phone.

5. Stealie

Stealie New Member

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I'm calling bull****. I'm on my 3rd phone in as many months because I've bounced them off of a wall or the floor. I don't see them holding up to any sort of bullet.

Maybe the robber has a pellet pistol. Many look like full sized handguns.

7. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I'd need to see any pictures of said pistol in order to know what caliber it is.
    But,sounds like a pellet or maybe even a 22/25.

S.S.

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Smaller caliber rounds (.22 thru .38S&W)can be stopped by a cell phone, depending on the cell phone - hell, the cell phones of the 1980's would stop a mortar round. Someone on another Forum posted a similar story about a cell phone stopping a .223 - this sounds like BS to me, and I am ready to sacrifice an old cell phone to prove it...

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ooooh! Oooooh! I wanna see! I wanna seeeeeeee!!!!

10. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I'm ready to use my current cell phone [env2]. Big piece of junk if there ever was one.

S.S.

11. paganwolf

paganwolf New Member

Very good Idea. I have range time this Friday. I think I'll take the wife's old razor out and put a .22 and a .223 through it. Pictures to follow.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I can see a small pistol caliber and a glancing shot...like the guy saw the scumbag pull and aim and the shop owner doing a Matrix dodge and the small bullet glancing off a cell phone, zippo, cigarette case, or Civil War era coin. A direct shot, I doubt with most high velocity small caliber rounds. Those batteries are pretty tough, tho.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'd love to see the pics. If possible, leave the old battery in as well. Those NiCad batteries are tough. :D

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I'd like to use the cell phones glued to the ears of all the a$$wipes that should be paying attention to their driving....

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I will do it this coming weekend. I have a Tracfone I will sacrifice :D
    And to give the benefit of the doubt to the phone, I will kill it at 100 yds.
    What bullet would you prefer? A factory Remington 55 gr. FMJ or a 69 gr. Sierra BTHP Matchking?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  16. Stealie

Stealie New Member

By the way Welcome to the forum.

17. xxxmikey

xxxmikey New Member

Cheers for all the help and replys you all sound a bit nuts, this is my kind of forum!
    As for distance it was about 20 meters. So i just think its a pellet gun or something.
    mind you when you shoot your phone and if the round bounces off then i can see many a soldier asking for old phones instead of family pics and luxurys to be sent out to iraq and afgan to either sit on them while out driving or to velcro them to their webbing!
    would be interested to see pics from when you shoot your phone.

thanks again everyone.

18. Tueur de mouches

Tueur de mouches New Member

Go to see on youtube slow motion of shooting, you will be surprised to see how a bullet can be deflected

19. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Go to the "Introductions" section and introduce yourself...
    welcome to the Forum!

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good aim and a .45ACP. Deflection won't enter the equation. :D