Handgun life expectency

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bostonscottkelly, Dec 11, 2011.

1. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Typically, if a handgun is maintained properly, how many rounds should a handgun be able to fire before parts would need to be replaced? 5000 / 10000 / 20000? Do price & durability go hand in hand....generally speaking? Hear things about Glock durability & crazy high round counts & made me wonder how durable my Rugers & Sigs are.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Lets make my opinion as shortest as possible. "Glock is the Best" IMO

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If anybody tells you your sigs are inferior to glocks they don't know what they're talking about or are glock fanboys,or as I like to call them "glocksuckers". There's nothing wrong with a little genuine Swiss. Before anybody thinks I'm hating on glock I'm really not I've Just ran into a few to many ignorant people who swore their glock was the end all be all of handguns and that my inferior handguns filled no roll their precious glock couldn't. That said I'd love a g19 if I don't end up with walther ppq.

You have to understand that for everything you get in a gun you give up something else,in the glock you gain rugged durability and simplicity but you give up features and (to most people) aesthetics.No gun is perfect for any one person,but if you value reliability over all then glock may be for you. As for me,ill keep my SA/DA hammer-fired 15+1 .45,with its decocker and actual safety,I feel it gives me something a glock doesn't,but that's just me.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Any machine subjected to heat and stress will have parts wear out or break from fatigue, handguns are no exception. Generally speaking the better you maintain them, the longer they will last. Typically a replacement of all the springs and possibly the extractor every 5,000-10,000 rounds are all that is required to refurbish back to a near factory condition. Frames and barrels are good for 20,000+ rounds depending on the quality of the steel, ammo used and the type of rifling.

Rugers and Sigs are the workhorses of the gun world, I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about their durability. :)

5. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about your pieces versus a Glock. Ya Glocks are great an all, but they lack that... WOW.. I guess. I've seen handguns go 10,000 rounds without a single hickup, and then again I have seen some crap out after 500. It really depends on the make, model, service, maintnence, ammo used and features of each individual handgun. A Hi-Point may poop out after a few hundred as a custom 1911 may last 12 or 13 thousand. It really varies so much.

Long story short. Your sigs and ruger will do just fine for a good amount of time. And like the previous posts, a spring or two might be the only thing you need to throw another 10k through it. :D

6. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Also depends on if it is Semi-Auto or Revolver Revolver normally doesn't need the spring replace.

7. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

One thing is clear to me, you don't have much experience with Hi-Point. I have personally seen them shoot over 5K rounds on multiple occasions without a hiccup and they have a no questions asked warranty that will cover anything including sprint replacement for free if and when its needed. They might be the ugliest, heaviest, and cheapest, but by far are highly dependable, and have absolutely the best warranty anyone can offer regardless if you are the 1st or 20th owner of the gun.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As with any other product, life expectancy is considered when a firearm is designed and built.
    Most 1911a1's from WWII were rebuilt because they were considered passed their life expectancy.
    Some of the military Berettas are being rebuilt.
    Police change out firearms for the same reason (even if carried a lot, shot a little).

Exact time length cannot be given. A competition shooter may wear out a firearm in 1 year, a casual shooter may never wear out a firearm.
    I have a Springer I bought new in the 80's and have rebuilt it at least twice.

9. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Not a Glock basher, they just don't fit me well and I prefer metal over plastic. JMHO.

If you are worried about Sig, don't. Check and see what many of our Special Ops units carry....you will find Sig. If its reliable enough for those guys, it works for me.

I have owned the P245 and currently have a P239 & P226. I put 2k to 3k rounds through the P245, never a hiccup. I have over 2k rounds through the 239, same story. The 226 I have had for just under a year and have @1500 rounds through it. Properly maintained, you shouldn't see much wear. I plan on replacing springs aroung 5k rounds just because it seems like the thing to do.

10. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

First of all, don't ever tell me what expirience I do and don't have. I've probably had more guns in my hands now then you ever will. Second, on the Hi-Point matter, agree to disagree. You have made it blatantly obvious that you love those sh!tty handguns, so good for you. I was just trying to make a point more or less.. :rolleyes:

11. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Ah! I missed that one. Good point. I guess that's why you're the armsmaster. lol

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Your Sigs and Rugers will belong to your grandchildren someday, let them worry about it.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

I personaly dont buy into the glock koolaid myth of reliability or durability. Seen too many glock users at the range with broken parts and ftf/fte problems.

I personally rank glock down in the kahr/keltec range of quality, durability, accuracy.

Maintenance has far more to do with longevity than who made the gun. Changing out springs and small internal parts especially frequent recoil spring changes greatly extends the gun life.

I tend to change my recoil springs inbetween the 1500-2000 round range. A recoil spring that isnt changed increases frame battering leading to frame/barrel lug issues.

The barrel on my ithaca 1944ish 1911a1 is nearly a smoothbore with little rifling left. It still stacks the rounds in the same hole.

Frequent inspections looking for cracks and severe wear will do more than worrying about who made it. Top brands tend to last cheapies tend to not.

Anyway a good quality gun will outlast the average person with proper maintenance and cleaning.

14. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Have you ever owned s Glock? If so, ever shot 5000-7500 rounds through it?

I have. I'm a certified Glock Armorer and I've owned multiple Glocks along with Sigs, Rugers, Kimbers, Colts, and yes, even ONE Hi-Point.

I put 8177 rounds through my first Glock, a Glock 21 before i replaced the barrel. Of course, I experimented with over 15 different hand reloads with it.
    Similarly, I put over 10K through my Kimber. Replaced that barrel at exactly 11,227 rounds.

I put 1,155 rounds through that Hi-Point when the barrel failed. I melted it and it's literally a paper weight for my junk mail now. It's rather easy to have the warrant they have. They sell LOTS of their pistols because of their price. Because they sell so many, they are also willing to replace stuff easily. Their good quality isn't proven by their warranty. Wouldn't YOU replace your cheap (cheap quality, price, and components) if you were able to sell LOTS based upon those factors? It's business. Simple business. Their main selling points are their price and warranty. NOT quality.

Like has been stated already: It all depends on the shooter, what it's shooting through it, and the care of the weapon.

;)

15. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Only 5k? This guy buried his glock in the sand, dirt, salt, bead blasting material, baby powder, paste, dropped it out of a plane, drug it behind his car, ran it over, soaked it in salt water multiple times, and it still fired through 15k rounds and continues firing today.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Any gun can continue shooting indefinitely provided the slide rails are in tact. All other parts are replaceable. I can imagine the barrel is going to be the first part to be replaced, followed probably by the firing pin and slide recoil spring. All of these parts are easily replaced. If the slide rails ever go bad, I'm sure a good gunsmith could get it going again. So unless your gun literally explodes, it should be ready to roll. Especially if it's a glock. :cool:

I've seen some glocks that have exploded. In glock's defense, ANY gun can explode. I'm sure most of these cases were caused by the user over-oiling the barrel and not wiping it dry. Some shooters I've known actually soaked the insides of their barrels with oil during cleaning and didn't run a patch through it afterwards. That's a recipe for turning your gun into a grenade. Oil, water, anything in the barrel and it will blow up.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Agreed! ;D

17. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

It reminds me of when I bought my first glock. I was at the gun store. I really needed the extra money because I'm on a tight budget, so you better believe I was eyeballing that hi point for $120. But I felt like that Toshiba guy, "We're all ready to ship if we don't include wifi." "No! Put wifi in the TVs." I had no problems dropping $560 on that glock because I knew it was a hell of a gun.

18. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I will use my 1858 remmy reproduction black powder pistol for self defense before I consider a highpoint pistol. A friend of mine bought a high point and it was nothing but problems.

19. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I agree. I always wanted a Colt Navy repro

20. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I have no idea how many rounds have gone thru my S&W 5906 - - - - I do try to clean after every shooting and try to keep things in good order.

If you don't mind the extra weight of SS it is hard to beat!

I have 23 S&W handguns ( out of 47 total handguns ) in my arsenal and while I have favorates I feel any will outlast my grand children.

Buy the best you can afford at the moment and take care of whatever you have!