Handgun Identification.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by manta, May 31, 2015.

1. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

As the title suggests, I am wondering if anyone can help identify the handgun in the photo. It appeared in the media here described as a Makarov handgun. I am not sure but it doesn't look like a Makarov to me. Its not a great photo, any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

What on earth is holding that pistol? Is it a clam? A raw chicken breast?

3. manta

No someone wearing surgical gloves, so they don't leave prints.

4. manta

Where are all the firearms experts, I could have posted this on a UK forum but I thought few would have a clue what it was in the UK so I would post it here, someone would have an idea what it was. :(

5. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

6. manta

I don't think so, I know it's a bad photo its only gives the profile of the pistol to go on .Thanks for trying, the reason I want to know is the press here are probably similar as America when it comes to firearms, all rifles are AK/47s etc. I would set them straight if I could identify it. I could be wrong maybe it is a Makarov.

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  7. manta

This could be a possibility. Stechkin APS. PS The again looking at them both together I don't think so.

Attached Files:

8. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Possibly a Browning 1900, or an older CZ.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

POSSIBLE that IS a Makarov. The pistol seems to be tilted and turned muzzle slightly towards viewer. Really, not a good pic, but compare to:

makarov.jpg

10. manta

Similar, the slide cocking serrations are at the rear in the original photo.

11. manta

Thanks I think you could be right. :)

To put it in context there was a guy shot dead here a few weeks ago, they have after tests said the handgun used was a Makarov.

They the headline news in a local paper today was that the handgun used was a Makarov, the same as the one I posted in the photo to try and identify, it was used at a dissident republicans funeral. Looking at the photo it did not look like a Makarov making their whole story rubbish. It irritates me when the press don't do proper research before printing or just make it up as they go along especially regarding firearms. I will be emailing them pointing out their mistake and seeing if I get a response. The full photo below.

Attached Files:

12. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Manta, some how the link is not the gun I saw in my search and now I can't find it but the outline the two distinctive divisions of barrel slide and other features were close enough to consider but it is NOT the gun in the link.

13. Manta, The full photo is oddly clearer. The 'complete' photograph makes the arm appear to be a Beretta full size; something on the order of a 92 or perhaps even an old Brigadier?

It is not an Astra 300. The forward end of the slide of an Astra 300 is round with no under lug sort of thing.

14. manta

Thanks for the reply, if you compare the two photos I think it is a CZ 27 / 24. PS I did send an email to the paper the reply I got bellow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  15. Yes. I concur considering your latest photo and comparison. I was keying in on the muzzle standing proud of the slide.

Now if we can just figure out why this fellow in the picture needs two hands to fire .32 Automatic...

Manta, I'm sure that question was asked in good faith, but it cracked me up.

Considering all the people who responded, considered and offered opinions, the answer would be "... about two hundred years of study..."

16. manta

You have to remember like America the press here are clues when it comes to firearms.

Its done for propaganda, maybe they think it looks better two handed.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015