Handgun Hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Winchester94, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've been thinking about getting into handgun hunting and I've been looking around at guns and reading reviews on what people use. I came across a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine at me lgs and wondered if it'd be suitable. I'd like some opinions on whether or not it would be a good gun/caliber combo for that role?

2. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I guess I should add that this will be for whitetails in wooded areas.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not a lot of expanding .30 carbine bullets that will give great penetration. Out of a pistol barrel it would have kind of marginal energy. I'd consider a .357 mag as the minimum, and more in the .44 mag realm for a hunting pistol. The .357 may seem similar ballistically to the .30 carbine, but there are a lot more bullet types, weights and designs that would be more appropriate for deer sized game.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Dont forget to look at the 10MM.
    Ted Nugent ammo has good deer hunting loads, and so does Corbon.

There are a small variety of 10's on the market.

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Most places I've read on say .41 or .44 magnum are ideal. But both calipers, especially .41, have been very scarce along with. 357. The .30 carbine supply seemed to never skip a beat. I've been trying to look for less mainstream calibers that I'd be more apt to find.
    Thanks for the info. :)

6. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've heard the 10mm is an excellent handgun hunting cartridge, but I'm looking more at revolvers. And I've not got the money for a S&W 610 or an equivalent, sadly.

7. lucznik

lucznik New Member

Start by checking your Fish and Game regs to see what the min standards for your State are. For example, in Wyoming the .357 Mag is one of the minimum allowable cartridges. The 10mm, while possibly perfectly capable, does not meet the standards.

Every State has its own rules. You need to know what is required in each State you plan on hunting.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

One of my friends has a lot of luck with a 10mm but he lives in deer paradise. He can let several deer walk every day with complete confidence he will see more deer. Personally a pistol is just a side arm for me. I have killed deer with a pistol at very close range.

You do need to get a book with the hunting laws in your state. Don't count on the internet to find game laws unless they have a .pdf copy of this years laws. The current law books are available at any place that sells hunting licences. If you get a 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel you will be legal anywhere.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .30 Carbine is one of my favorite handguns. I have one that is custom built for handgun silhouette targets. It is not legal in Wyoming for any big game hunting.
    I would look at the excellent .44 Mag. it has so many bullet choices and hand gun types to choose from. It can also fire the .44 S&W Special and the very accurate .44 S&W Russian. :)

10. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I would think more about the .44 if ammo were more available. Maybe eventually.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am not having any issues finding 44 mag ammo. Good hunting bullets are expensive in any circumstance. You can order 44 mag ammo from double tap for around $50 for 50 rounds. You will pay $40 for ammo of lower quality.

12. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

If you are looking a revolver for hunting get a Ruger. I love my S&Ws but the Rugers can handle a hotter load.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Try to find a 357 41 mag or 44mag. the 357 is a minimum cartridge in a handgun and try to order heavy loads like 170gr ot 180gr sp or hp for deer.

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I have a Ruger SuperBlackHawk - 44M - 5.5" w round trigger guard. I used to have fun in SASS events.

Due to recoil, I didn't think double taps were feasible so I went w single action but now I am trying find the cash for SW w 4-5" barrel.

If hunting is the primary purpose, 44 is hard to beat. However, if you want to go after dangerous game, 454, & 475 Lin - add a lot more punch.

An elephant was trampling a village - hunter shot him w 475 Lin. It went through the skull and lodged in 5th cervical vertebrae. :eek:

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I own many Ruger Single actions. They will fail as fast any other magnum if you abuse them. Why would any experienced Outdoor person over pressure his side arm? Why would you want loads in "Bear" country that could shut down any of your firearms?
    The S&W Mdl. 29 remains as the "Gold" standard for side arms. The Mdl. 29 will serve you well for a life time. And make sure your handgun loads are not made to scare your girl friend.:D

This S&W Mdl. 29-2 has been with me for 40 years. ;)

Attached Files:

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

What state do you live in? In Michigan for a handgun it has to be a .35 caliber or larger with a strait wall case. Im taking my S&W 629 with a 8 1/4 inch barrel, hopfully I can bag a couple and fill the freezer.

17. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Dont know why my picture didnt load.

Attached Files:

18. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I live in Virginia and I'm not sure what the laws regarding handguns are.
    Beautiful S&W, by the way!