Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you ever picked up a handgun youre checking out, its mechanics are great, sights are something youve been looking for.
Then you get to the grips.
Oh they may Look great all walnutty, brite n pretty as Grandma's dish cabinet.
Then you take her out for a few shots and you wonder, What the Heck is this business??
Of the revolvers I have, 50% are now wearing after-market grips.
Has anyone ever passed up what could have been a great shooter just because of its grips or stocks?

Changing the grips can be like swapping on a new set a truck tire's, they can change the handling of that critter from a tooth jarring bucking bronco to a well mannered pleasure boat of a handgun.
Changing the grips can be for asthetic reasons or to change the character of the handling.

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
I have changed a couple of revolvers. A Ruger Blackhawk. I changed that from rubber grips that tore up my hands to a pair of Ruger wood grips. Much better.

Also have a J-38 that the stock grips were not great. I broke the helicopter in the frame shooting the gun. The gun was uncomfortable and though it was and is a carry gun I rarely shot more than 25 rounds at a range session. I bought a pair of Hogue rubber grips at a gun show. The gun looks better and now I shoot it more as the recoil is more comfortable on my hands.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Guilty as charged. The "boot grip" on the new Kimber, which in most respects is
a fine, if expensive, snubbie. Replaced the bootie on the snubbie with a slightly
larger Altamont grip, (BTW, Cha-CHING! 780$ gun is now a 850$ gun) which provided
only a marginally more comfortable recoil. Accuracy improved considerably.

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
Grip panels are the only change I have ever made to my 1911. Those Pachmayr grips complete the perfection of Mr. Brownings gun.

Reactions: Rex in OTZ

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
A few years ago my wife bought me a 637 Performance Center .38. Beautiful wood grips, very light gun. Rough to shoot with even standard .38 (old guy, arthritic hands).
I put on a slide on rubber grip and the gun is now actually fun to shoot. Very accurate as a PC gun should be. I've also changed grips on a Mossberg 500, Taurus Pt38 and a Bersa Thunder....not for appearance but functionality. Wood grips are pretty and nice if you don't shoot the gun.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A few years after having skin graft to my right hand, I purchased a S&W 629 .44mag, I found that the pretty wood grips had the nasty tendency to scuff off that leg skin that was grafted to my palm.
I replaced the grips w pachmayr decelerator's 20 years ago.
I bet the old 629 could do with a new set of grips after 20 years, most likely a better grip out there, that will do better? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being a S&W collector, the original wood grips add much to the value. Currently one can get a hundred or more for many S&W target wood grips. I remove my wood grips and use rubber if taking them to the range. If the wood grips don't feel right then get something that's comfortable but don't discard the originals. Years from now you might want to sell or trade and the original grips, same as box and paperwork add considerable value.

·
Premium Member
6,570 Posts
A few years after having skin graft to my right hand, I purchased a S&W 629 .44mag, I found that the pretty wood grips had the nasty tendency to scuff off that leg skin that was grafted to my palm.
I replaced the grips w pachmayr decelerator's 20 years ago.
I bet the old 629 could do with a new set of grips after 20 years, most likely a better grip out there, that will do better? :D
First time I've heard of that problem :p

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
About 2 months after the edges of my right palm skin graft had mended but still pink and extremely tender.
I was asked by an accointance if I wanted to fire his brand new 8" Colt Annaconda .44 mag.
I aimed on the target and let off a shot with that new rubber gripped revolver.
Right away I felt pain and knew something bad had come loose in the skin department.
I was able to Not drop the revolver.
Using my good hand, I handed the revolver back grip first.
He didnt realize what went on and wanted me to finish the other 5 rounds.
I said, Im OK, that shot was enough for me. :confused:
I went back to the vehicle and looked at my blown graft, I had a 3/8 inch flapabout a Inch and half long of skin loose skin graft to heal back down.
Today there is a shiny band of scar where that graft came loose. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Yep... I'm a changer too

I love the hogue rubber grips

Reactions: Rex in OTZ

·
Registered
425 Posts
Manufacturers seem to be getting it, too. My GP100 and 629 both came with Hogue grips.
Saved me the trouble and expense of getting them later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts