Handgun Forethought

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tuco, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Hi,

Can someone help me think of a .40 caliber handgun I can pair with a carbine to share ammo? I am interested in a gun with a safety, and I want it to fire "every time" though I don't want a revolver. The higher capacity mag the better, and no issues with sharing mags.

This may be for another post, but if I get an AK-47, is there a hand gun that can take the same ammo? I can't imagine, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there are handguns that fire the 7.62x39 cartridge. With the exception of some of the single shot target guns (like the Thompson Center) they mostly look like a sawn off AK47. About as concealable as a goat in a phone booth.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Beretta CX4 Storm is a carbine and the PX4 is a pistol. Both are .40 and share the same magazine. But you could save money even with buying extra mags by getting a Hi-Point carbine in .40.

4. SilenceDogood

SilenceDogood New Member

Glock 22 and Kel-Tech Sub2000. The Sub2000 is actually pretty cool. It folds in half and you could theoretically put it in a medium size backpack. I've handled one on the range, but do not own one so cannot speek to the reliability. The Glock, however, will run every time you gas it up. You'd even be able to share magazines between the two.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ruger made the PC40 carbine. It stands for Police Carbine, although I don't know if any LE agencies actually ever used them. They're pretty scarce, but they're excellent quality.

However, they only use Ruger mags.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I met a NY State Trooper that had one of these at a range. It was a really nice little rifle and shot very well. Not too bad looking either.

7. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Thanks for your reply. I pulled up all the suggestions and really like yours. The Glock doesn't have the kind of safety I like. The Kel Tech doesn't accept optics. I think I'll see about the PX4 and Ruger per CA357. Thanks to both of you.

On that note, I found a Hi-Point page showing all the options. I wonder, what is the difference between a laser and a red dot? What is the benefit of each?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Laser projects a beam of light onto to the target.

Red dots are a scope that you look through. Instead of seeing crosshairs, you see a red dot on your point of aim. Red dots typically have very long or unlimited eye relief so you don't have to look directly through it. They are good aiming systems for shorter ranges.

Taurus is supposed to be introducing a line of carbines later this year.

9. Tuco

Tuco New Member

It seems a laser would not be very useful at long range, and a scope would be for longer range...no? I mean, do you see why it would seem that way to me? (Sorry, I am a noobie. I don't own a gun yet, but that is about to change.) :D

10. ScottA

Red dots are typically no or low magnification, therefore most red dots are really not designed for long range. I'm no expert on scopes, but I do know that crosshairs can provide more useful information at longer ranges than a simple red dot can.

And correct on the lasers. They are not typical for long range... unless I suppose used in conjunction with a telescopic lens.

11. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Thanks for your help. I'll digest this and see what I come up with.

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just another opinion. Beretta 96fs. I love mine.

13. Tuco

Tuco New Member

In other words, with a few .40 caliber carbines named, any .40 caliber pistol will fit the bill <u>regarding ammo</u>. If I really want to get guns that share mags also, I can go with the Ruger, though I hear they are reluctant to to give them up when it is time to switch out.

Oui?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  14. WDB

WDB New Member

Rifles and pistols are cambered for the intended use. Trying to find one caliber that fits both needs IMHO leaves you lacking in one or the other. There are many solid pistol and rifle calibers but never found one that makes sense for both. It's like asking for an SUV that is also a sports car. Two totaly different intended uses.

15. Tuco

Tuco New Member

I appreciate that. That is one of the reasons I was considering the Hi-Point. At least it is cheap, and certainly there is some benefit to a .40 carbine. That is also one of the reasons I asked about a gun that fires the same caliber round as an AK. I want an AK, but want to achieve an economy in ammo.

I considered a .45 caliber combo, but I don't want a .45 (I don't think) as my first gun for HD. So, how far do you think I could shoot a .40 carbine and be a threat? Probably farther than I would be accurate with a pistol.

16. ScottA

You would probably do well to get a handgun, get some training, and get familiar with the culture, then figure out carbines and rifles. What you think now will change over the next year as you learn more.

17. Tuco

Tuco New Member

I know, but a lack of funds makes you think. After spending years without the money to buy anything...but dreaming about the sexy AR-15 vs. the reliable AK, I have come to the conclusion that an AK 47, 74, or one of the hundred series is for me. It is "cheap" and reliable. Maybe someday I'll get the AR, but practicality first.

Oh, but then there is the BM ACR. Oh dear! But alas, I can't afford it...but this isn't a financial forum, or an emotional support group; it is, however, a common theme, hence, I need to think ahead.

I want the .40, I guess, because I have heard of rounds from a 9 bouncing off of stuff. I like the idea of a gun that is good for HD, one I could CC at least in the colder months. If I can marry it to a carbine, the diversity could come in handy. Worst possibility is I don't get a carbine in a .40, and I wish had gotten a 9. Hopefully at least the .40 handgun will have been a good choice.

Anyway, I guess I have the info I need. I'll let you know what I buy. If the .40 has more kick than I want, I may end up with a 9 anyway.

I appreciate all of your recommendations. At least I know some guns you think are quality.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Tuco, There is a carbine that takes Glock mags. I just can't remember which one or if it's already been mentioned. I think that's what you're looking for.

19. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Thanks--read something about it. I like a manual safety. I get the thought behind the Glock design. I think back to Plaxo Burres (sp) shooting himself in the leg. This tells me that he always puts his finger on the trigger. I won't do that; for my first gun though, I feel more comfortable with a manual safety.

Again, thanks for the option.

20. ScottA

I have a .40 myself which is what I keep next to my bed, but I wouldn't be concerned about a 9 bouncing off stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.