Handgun for the lady!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by AndyB, Aug 4, 2011.

1. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Looking for any suggestions on purchasing a revolver, preferably a .22 magnum, with an easy or soft action for my wife. I did purchase a Taurus 941 .22 mag., but the action is so tight she can hardly operate it in single or d/a. Searched the Taurus forum and did get some suggestions on modifying the hammer spring. Lots of complaints about this firearm, and Taurus does not offer any lighter springs. Did order a 9# hammer spring from Wolff and then was told it would not work on the 941 (not enough power). Never did install it, but may give it a shot if I can't find another firearm. Will keep the 941 for myself, or whatever. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Andy B.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

If you don't mind going with a Single Action only firearm then I recommend the Ruger Single Six Convertable. It comes with a .22 LR cylinder and a .22 Magnum cylinder.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

What is she going to use it for, target or self defense. If self defense, the only thing a .22 will do is piss off the bad guy and get her killed. You need to go with a larger caliber.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

At the very least get her a S&W J frame Airweight 38 spl.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife carries a 22 mag J Frame airweight. Say what you want. But she has athritis in her thumb. I would rather her defend herself with a 22 mag that she is proficient with than a 38 she is afraid to shoot.

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

some of them .22 cal revolvers that hold 8 or 9 rounds are going to be kind of tough to shoot,I had a Taurus 94 once and I remember it being alot harder to double action shoot it than your average centerfire revolver,if it were me,I'd look into a .327 magnum and get her shooting some .32 longs through it and eventually increase her to .32H&R mags in it,that would be soft shooting.

7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I'd go with a .38sp for several reasons:

1) .22mag is not much cheaper than .38sp, and you can reload .38sp practice ammo for about half as much as .22mag will cost you off the shelf (if you reload).

2) .22mag is actually surprisingly loud out of a short handgun.

3) There are really light .38sp loads that will still be more terminally effective than any .22mag snubby, but will also be quieter and not have much more recoil.

4) Probably most importantly, as mentioned, rimfire revolvers have notoriously stiff hammer springs, making them difficult to shoot. If she can't hit anything and has to flex her trigger finger after every 4 shots, she's going to hate shooting it.

If this is her first gun, though, I'd honestly try to let her shoot whatever she wants. I find a consistent favorite with the ladies to be my P22. Yeah, it isn't supremely reliable, and is only chambered in .22lr, but if it's the only thing she might like enough to actually want to go back to the range to shoot, then that is your best choice.

8. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

As a rule, when this is brought up during my classes. I tell them I don’t pick out my wife’s shoes because SHE will be wearing them same with the firearm, Let you wife choose her own. And of course this is just my view on the subject.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Am I the only one who finds this post disturbing?

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I had a friend who was a writer who had a very frail wife who liked semi-autos but was too weak to pull the slide back to chamber the first round. They solved it by going to the Beretta Bobcat, a .22 that can load it's first shot by means of a tip up barrel - no strength required for this auto except trigger pull and magazine insertion. Hammer is closer than a revolver and much easier to retract than a revolver with only a light sear spring to set and every shot is single action after that! unlike a revolver where the hammer has to reset the trigger, set the sear linkage and rotate the cylinder - that's a lot of work for an arthritic thumb!

[​IMG]

Currently one is listed on GunsAmerica.com for under $200 (NOT my listing!) so I thought you might like the alternative. My writer friend's wife likes the fact that she can practice with it and isn't scared of the recoil. Also, it was her opinion that revolvers overall had too heavy of a trigger pull.

You know what they say - better a gun that you'll carry and actually use than a big monster that stays in the nightstand. I hope this helps you and your wife

11. ironmaiden

ironmaiden New Member

If she is set on a revolver, might I suggest a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed Mag? My wife has one and really likes it. She is a small woman and it seems to fit her quite well. It isn't hard to cock the hammer, and the DA trigger pull isn't bad, either. It is a small frame revolver, but not too small. Plus, in the .327 it holds 6 rounds.

If you would rather go with S&W, a model 632 is basically their version of the same.

Good luck!

12. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I too opted to get my wife a .327 short barrel revolver for defense. I did start her on a 22 for the sake of training and getting her use to proper trigger control. Then she found the 38Spl and 357 just too much noise and recoil. Though the 327 to me is equal on both counts to the 38, it may just be in her mind. However, the advantage is that the 327 will also chamber and fire the 32 HR Mag and 32 SW Long and 32-20 cartridges as well with a somewhat reduced noise/recoil which she handles well and with confidence. Which is exactly what I need her to do in a defensive situation.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  13. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

That is a big reason most ladies seem to like the P22. Plus the low-recoil and comfortable grip are nice! A revolver is easier to learn how to use, but I still wouldn't put a Glock 19 or Glock 17 (both 9mm) out of the question. It's too bad that you can't get the G25 or G28 here in the states, as you'd have the low-recoiling .380 round in a nice, higher-capacity, sized-for-shooting package.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Um what the hell.

15. Jay

Jay New Member

No ma'am, you're not. I'm less than impressed with the apparent disregard for the inability, or unwillingness to humanely put down, even a nuisance animal.

16. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

Agreed, as well as his apparent relationship with "dedicated poachers" which disturbs me equally.

17. Primeonly27

Primeonly27 New Member

Hand gun for you Lady?

First look at a gun shop have her hold and see which one fits best in the hand and feels right. Then take her to the shooting range that hopefully has that same model of gun. Shoot a box of ammo she what she thinks of it and then go from their back to the gun shop and buy or try something else on for size.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have made it well known here that the thought of shooting a human being upsets me a lot. I don't shoot animals OR people. If I were to shoot an animal, it would be to eat, protect from attack or put an animal out of it's misery. The only human I think I could ever shoot is one that is intent on doing great physical harm to me or someone in my family.

Poaching is illegal. Weed smokers are only affecting themselves. Poachers are hurting the balance of nature and ruining the herds for other hunters who follow the rules. If the herds were getting too large, I'm guessing the DNR would either increase the limit each hunter could take or they would issue more hunting licenses.

If you live out in the country then you should expect to see feral animals. If you want to live where things are a little more tame, move into town.

I don't appreciate being called names here on the forum and I have not called you any names. I have simply pointed out that wounding stray dogs and pigs and not killing them humanely is offensive to some people. Also, illegal poaching is pretty offensive, too, to those hunters who follow the rules and obey the laws.

When you post here about illegal and/or unethical issues, expect to catch some flak.

19. Jay

Jay New Member

You're only impressing yourself, and I doubt doing a very good job, at that. Everyone that I know that lives "out here in the country", understands the likelyhood of having to put an animal down, but they don't brag about only wounding it and letting it suffer. We're better shots than that. Your reference to poachers puts you right amongst them. I think you're about 14 years old, and have no supervision while on the internet. I also think that you're too immature for this forum, and will be seriously lacking in your ability or willingness to contribute anything substantial. By the way, who in their right mind tries to mow over a rat when they have a firearm to shoot 'em with? Oops, I forgot, ya gotta be able to hit 'em first. It does make a telling image though... you chasing a rat all around your front yard with a lawn mower.

My suggestion..... take a hike, and take your juvenile attitudes with you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  20. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

This is exactly what my wife has. She could not operate any other handgun we looked at. I have CCI velocitor hollow points for self defense for her.

The p22 functions perfectly as long as you stick with CCI Mini-mags and CCI velocitors

To whoever said that a .22 will "just piss off" the BG. I have to say if you empty a 10 round magazine of hollow points center mass on the BG (very doable with the p22), I don't think he is just going to be "pissed off". He will be leaking out of 10 holes. I don't wanna meet the man that is "pissed off" with those types of injuries.