Handgun for my wife, but which one?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MrWray, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I am pretty excited, my wife has told me tht she wants a handgun. Training is not a problem, i cant teach her myself. She wants me to help her pick one out so ive been racking my brain on wat to get her. I know tht i want to get her a compact in 9mm and in the range of $300-$400. I would rather her have something with a manual safety. A friend of mine mentioned a Kahr, i need some opinions and preferences.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife loves her Ruger SR9C. It came with a 10 rnd mag for concealment and a 17 rnd mag with grip extension. It has a manual safety in addition to the trigger safety. I liked it enough to buy one for myself.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Let her pick it out. I have a deal with my wife. I may suggest things to her, but she is more likely to use it if she picks it out.

How many times have you bought her something, and she never uses it?
    (I suggested 6" heels once, but she continues to wear low heels)

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thanks bro, im gonna google it right now and check it out.

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

She wants you to help her? Just steer her away from obvious junk,
    and let her pick the gun. She might decide that she wants something
    completely different than a compact 9mm with a manual safety.

Any ranges in your area with rentals?

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I plan on giving her most of the choice but i think tht i need to make the final ok. The reason y i say this is because we have browsed once and she picked one just because it had a pink handle,lol..

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would steer her in the right direction, but let her decide on what she wants to get. Help her look for things like what feels good to her, is the perfect or right size for her, and in a caliber she can handle.

Is it going to be for home defense, range, carry, and ect?

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its gonna b for pretty much all of the above.

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

Went thru this with my wife....she decided on the KelTec PF-9...long story short, i now carry it and she continues to shop! She just HAD to have a small dainty gun....against ALL my advice about recoil/muzzle flip.

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

In that case I feel more comfortable to recommend the Ruger SR9c, Smith and Wesson XDm 9mm 3.8 compact, Kahr PM9/CM9, and Sig P229 (some of these are out of your price range listed).

I personally have the SR9c and I can tell you it's an amazing pistol. It has a lot of safties which in this case can/should be very helpful, and is made by Ruger so it's very good quality.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If all else fails a Glock 19 would not b a bad gun for her. I have a Glock 31 and carried it on my side for many years.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Since my wife is not going to spend any more range time then she has to, I steered he to a S&W model 60, .38spl. revolver. No safety to worry about, just point and click.

13. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Rugers

If you are thinking small and 9mm I would also like to throw the Ruger LC9 into the mix. I recently purchased one and it is a fantastic little gun. It doesnt have the recoil like most little guns and so far no ftf or ftes to speak of and I have shot about 200 rounds through it.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My wife chose an S&W Airweight 38 5 shot J frame revolver, simple but effective. She has small hands and can use both "trigger" fingers on the bang switch to offset the heft of the trigger pull.

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Maybe i will just get her a S&W .500

16. ahole

ahole New Member

Nice, at lest your wife is getting a new one. My wife stole my IMI Jericho 40 left the kember and HK both 45 to me.

I would let her look at a keltec.

17. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You might also want to consider a used Smith and Wesson model 19, a K frame Smith and Wesson, or a J frame Smith and Wesson.

18. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Guys! Come on, let's not drop the ball here! How many times have we seen this question before? OP - if there is a range nearby lets you rent guns, then let her try as many different types, calibers and models as practical. You'd be amazed some women go for a 44 magnum or a full size 1911. Little women does not necessarily mean they want little guns and if all she's tried are compacts y'all could be missing out on finding the best gun for her. My 105 pound wife chose the Ruger GP100 - surprised the heck out of me! :D

19. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

An FNP-9 seems like a solid gun for your price range.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This a pretty good place to start. The SR9 has a slimmer grip than most double stacks, making it a good option for many women.