Handgun for Deer hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Go with the GP100.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Who cares about collecting, shoot the 19.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Who cares about collecting, shoot the 629.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Be a man and buy another 44 or bigger.

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. You have the ghey for not owning a 41 Mag.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I love 357s and for whitetail here in NC, a 357 will get the job done but I'm not taking my model 19 thru the woods so I'm eyeing a GP100. I've got an SP101 and like it, the GPs feel nice in my hand....no brainer. I could also see the GP becoming my woods gun and being carried a lot while checking tree stands or hiking.
    I've also got a 629 which will be more then enough to take deer but like my 19, it is like new and I've got the original box so I'm not sure I want to get it beat up either.
    I also want a 41 mag because anyone who likes magnum handguns needs one. A blackhawk could fill the hunting bill but I would spend more money getting ammo and getting reloading dies, both of which I have for the 357 and 44.

What would you do?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

.357 WITH THE RIGHT BULLET does well for Eastern Whitetail. This is what I use- Dan Wesson with 10 inch heavy barrel- but I am hunting in laurel thickets where 50 yard is a long shot-
    pistols 013.jpg

3. spittinfire

My shots will be within 50yds and I'd be using a 6" barrell, 158gr somethings(bullet is still up in the air).

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Personally the smallest magnum revolver I own is the 41 mag. You could buy a 41 mag Blackhawk or Blackhawk Hunter if you want a .41 mag but a Super Blackhawk .44mag would be a lot cheaper and easier to find. I've found Super Blackhawks used for as little as 300$.

5. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

up-close action:)

Sir; :) My hunting choice; Handgun only; .44 .41 .357 .22. All for the approiate game; of course. I find it ''more'' fun to see how close I can get to the game. It isn't about the kill; more; the thrill; with very up-close interactions. :)

6. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I carry a S&W .44 mag with 12 '' barrel when I "Heater Hunt" (riding with the windows down) there's so much woods and area to cover up here in Northern Maine, not many people tree stand hunt up here, it's also partridge season, so I carry a shotgun in the truck. That's what I have with me, I wish you luck with your choice, and may you shoot a monster buck with it.

7. Missileman

Missileman New Member

My personal preference, .41 Mag in my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with a 7.5 inch barrel...

8. spittinfire

Judging by the poll you all think I'm a nancy.

9. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I don't think that, I just don't have a great .357 to use, and have always been weird and liked the .41 Mag. In fact I have probably 20+ handguns and not one .44 Mag--I just think the .41 Mag is an all-around better round than the 44...

10. spittinfire

I want a 41 but I don't know if I have the funding to start a new caliber at the moment. I'm already into 357 and 44.

Stalkingbear started this Blackhawk idea and after some shopping I'm interested. I'm leaning towards the 7.5" 44.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I voted for the GP100, as i love mine (never tried it on deer).

However, if you should wish to do your part against that scourge we call bears, you would want something a bit larger. ;)

12. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I believe Bear is another big .41 Mag fan, but I understand not wanting to take on a new caliber, new dies, new brass, new bullets, new powder, etc... But if you change your mind and join the .41 Mag club, let me know and I'll send you some components to get started with--some of the brass and bullets are getting hard to find right now and I have a good stash.

13. spittinfire

If I could find a supply of brass and bullets on the cheep the 41 could be possible. I've already got primers and an extra pound of H110, all I need is dies.

14. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Is this even legal?

15. Missileman

Missileman New Member

H110 is my favorite .41 Mag powder, although you do have to be very careful not to under load the round. I shoot almost exclusively 210 gr bullets, mostly Hornady XTP, but have shot Sierra and Nolser also. I have loaded 170 gr also, which makes a great practice round using WW 231 or HP-38 powder, which is what I reload my .45 ACPs with. I have a Blackhawk Bisley, a Dan Wesson DA, and a Marlin lever rifle in .41 Mag. My favorite load is 20 grains of H110, nickle plated Starline .41 brass with WW large pistol primers. The hard component to come by right now seems to be the brass--if you need any let me know.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

The wildlife LEO's seriously frown on hunting from vehicles or roads down here (big fine, etc.), but that may differ in other areas, not sure. If it could be done safely, i'd love to pull a "drive-by" on a deer. :)

17. spittinfire

No where close to legal here in NC.

18. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Neither legal nor ethical in my humble opinion...

19. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Exactly.....this is what I found. (from the Maine dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife)

Shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle. It is unlawful to shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or have a loaded firearm or crossbow while in or on a motor vehicle, trailer, or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except as specifically allowed. (Note: A loaded clip may be carried in a motor vehicle, but it must not be inserted in, or attached to, a firearm; a crossbow may be carried as long it is not cocked and armed; a muzzle-loading firearm is considered to be loaded ONLY if charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism.)

a. Persons who hold a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may carry a loaded pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle.
    b. Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion.
    c. Migratory waterfowl may be hunted from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations.
    d. A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by the motor, except as allowed in dispatching crippled waterfowl under power. The wanton waste law allows you to shoot cripples under power on those coastal waters and all waters of rivers and streams lying seaward of the first upstream bridge, (as noted in the Migratory Game Bird Summary).

and

Shooting from or over a public paved way. A person is guilty of hunting from or over a public paved way if that person shoots at any wild animal or wild bird from any public paved way or within 10 feet of the edge of the pavement of the public paved way or from within the right-of-way of any controlled access highway or discharges any firearm or crossbow over a public paved way (any road treated with bituminous or concrete material).

20. orangello

orangello New Member

The Maine guy was probably/hopefully just kidding around. :)

I think people who drive small cars should have a shotgun-only exception for deer/jaywalking ungulates who cause body or upholstery damage to said small car.
    ;)

I had a student who had hit so many deer, damaging so many of his vehicles, that he was driving an older model pick-up truck with a seriously reinforced brushguard to bounce them off. I believe he had hit seven deer on his own rural road.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010