handgun for around $150?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by krisko09, Feb 24, 2012.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

It's simple, really. I'm just curious if anyone knows of any reliable handguns out there for around $150. I'm just looking for something to take to the range and plink around with, and maybe even take a crack at a few of these damned crows that hang around my barn.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

2. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

handgun for around $150

It's simple, really. I'm just curious if anyone knows of any reliable handguns out there for around $150. I'm just looking for something to take to the range and plink around with, and maybe even take a crack at a few of these damned crows that hang around my barn.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

At $150 I think your only option would be a High Point. Unless you find a smoking deal on a used pistol somewhere.

4. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Yep unless you get lucky for that price hi point is ur only option you could get a .22 rifle for around that. Good for plinking and those pesky crows. Not the best thing for the range though it'll work.

5. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I've heard alot of bad things about those Hi-Point's.. not really wanting to spend $200 on a pistol that's just gunna jam ever couple of rounds.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

merged your threads. please dont post the same topic in multiple sections. thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Ya their ugly as hell but from what i've heard they're pretty decent guns as to the jaming if it happens call them their customer service is excellent they'll have you send it in they'll either give you a new one or fix yours. Plus they usally will send it back with an extra mag for the inconvience

8. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

No kidding.. I might have to look in to it. I've heard they were awful about jamming up and they are blocky and heavy and hard to grip. But I guess I shouldn't take their word, I should go see for myslf lol

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

For $150 you could get a Phoenix HP22 and all the ammunition you will ever need for the rest of your shooting days. The crows would not have a flying chance.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a buddy that went the Hi point .40 route for the same reasons of limited funds and he is 100% happy with it . Its big , bulky but it goes bang every time he pulls the trigger he said he has had zero problems with it since day one .

11. group17

group17 New Member

+1
    Both the Hi Point C-9 and Phoenix HP22 are your best choices unless you go used.
    I have owned both.

12. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Of the 2 which did you prefer?

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I would go with the C9 at least you get to use it for HD.

14. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Hi-points I know they are in that price range but as far as reliability.?.
    Life time warranty though. For a little more you may want to look at Kel-Tec pistols.

15. jebsca

jebsca New Member

A buddy has a Kel-Tec PF11. He let me shoot it, and it is no fun. May be good for cc/hd, but not for plinking. I keep reading about Hi point, and may have to try ityself.

16. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Well for the money why not.

17. Boombostick

Boombostick New Member

Highpoints are, sooo bad, they will shoot and jam, my buddy bought one and it jamed after one round, dont buy it, u will be sorry if u do

18. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I asked a friend who has one about the jammming. He said that it only jams with the 10 round mag. When he uses the 8 it shoots fine.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shop carefully under USED .22 pistols. I did find a well used but functioning Ruger Standard auto for $110. Finish was well worn, but reliable and accurate. And yes, I considered that a bargain.

Did check over on Auction Arms, there are several Rugers (22, 9mm, 45) that are under $200 right now. Bear in mind that you would need to add shipping and FFL fees, so you might want to shop a gun sow or your LGS first.

20. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

I hear a lot of guys polishing the ejection port with sandpaper and opening up the mags on hi points to help with jams. Sounds like a 150 pain in the ass to me.