Handgun Bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by noylj, Jul 24, 2010.

1. noylj

noylj Member

I was wondering if anyone else is prejudiced about bullets like I am (maybe not the same, but prejudiced to a certain style or class no matter what caliber it is).
    I prefer lead over jacketed, unless I am shooting over 1500fps, and prefer SWC over all other styles. First thing I look for in each caliber is what SWC molds or commercial bullets are made for it.
    For 9mm I prefer a 115gn L-SWC (Penn) and have enjoyed casting and shooting the Lee 105gr SWC.
    For .38Super, I prefer a 130-145 SWC but haven't found any commercial cast or swaged that I like. Do like the Meister 150gn SWC, but it is just a little heavier than I need for target shooting.
    For .40 and 10mm, I, of course, stick with 155 and 175gn SWCs
    For .44 I use 240gn SWCs
    Finally, I don't know the last time I shot a .45ACP and not shot a 200gn SWC (H&G #68 style)--Penn or Precision Bullet
    For .45 colt, I like the 255gn SWC.
    I will use a FN.
    I look at round nose and I just have no interest. Wonder what it is that keeps my mind from having any interest in round nose handgun bullets.

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I treat all bullets equally, it's people I don't care for.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very profound Joe. Will you be my new spiritual adviser?

4. 4t1mag

4t1mag New Member

Lead for Hunting

I use Heavy Hard Cast Lead Bullets (LBT Style) for Handgun Hunting.Have never
    been disappointed with the results.Jacketed Bullets for anything else.

5. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

got ta love lead there cheaper therefore twice the fun

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't care what a bullet looks like I care what it does to what I am shooting.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I use a SWC 140 grain for my 9mm loads. I did use a 200 grain SWC for my 45 acp. But since I changed to a 1911 I have switched to a 255 grain lead round nose with a flat point. The truninciated cone on my SWC was too long for my 1911. I can shoot them fine. But they can not be ejected without being shot. The only way to clear a jam would be to drop the mag and let the round fall out through the mag well.

8. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer full metal jackets for my .45. Of course, I haven't shot anything else, so that's the only round I know.