Handgun Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jeff13, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Jeff13

Jeff13 New Member

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and just wanted to get some feedback from handgun owners. I just received my gun permit and wanted to purchase a gun for the protection of my home and family.

I know the prices vary greatly. I am looking to spend under $500. I was leaning towards a snubnose revolver. Any Suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Spanz

Spanz New Member

Didn't we just cover this in another thread? Unless you are willing to practice with the handgun at least once a week, stop kidding yourself and just get a shotgun with some #4 shot.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here. Why don't you head over to the "New Members" thread and introduce yourself to the gang.

Post your questions and don't mind Spanz poor manners. Use the Search Feature and you can find a lot of answers for yourself. Then if you can't find what you need, post away.

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Under 500 dollars, you say?

Ok, I'll just start naming some firearms, and all you have to do is type the name in google search to get the specifics.

Autoloaders:

- Ruger P series pistols
    - Taurus 24/7 series
    - Smith and Wesson Sigma series
    - Taurus PT 108/PT 111
    - Springfield XD9 (4 inch)
    - Rock Island Armory 1911
    - Glock (if you can find them for under 500 dollars)
    - Kahr Arms
    - Kel-Tec Arms

Revolvers:
    - Rossi
    - Charter Arms
    - Taurus
    - Smith and Wesson
    - Ruger

There is more out there, but maybe this will get you started down the right path.

5. Spanz

Spanz New Member

Welcome to the forum. No poor maners intended here, just what I think is sound advice. If I understand you, you just got a permit, and the first firearm you are thinking of getting is a short barrel handgun? In that situation, anyone who recommends that you get a handgun for home protection instead of a shotgun is not doing you any favors! You will not be able to hit what you aim at unless you get a LOT of training. Your handgun bullets will be penetrating your walls, possibly killing your children. Think before you go all Rambo on us.

6. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Are you talking about a permit to own a gun, or to carry a gun?

I would consider the short barreled revolver a near-experts gun, but if you decide that is the way you want to go I would recommend the Smith & Wesson 442. Also Speer makes very good short-barreled .38 special ammo.

Also +1 to browsing or searching the forums, you'll find alot of good info.

Let us know what you decide.

7. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

Relover for under $500.00

My advice for you is to look into the Charter arms revolvers that for the price are great and a reliable gun, I myself carry on a daily basis a Charter Arms BULLDOG 44 SPEC 5 shot revolver with a 2 1/2 " bbl I picked it up new for about $375.00 last year at a Gander Mountain store & its a great gun :cool:

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

You'll be just fine with a handgun as a defensive sidearm. Shotguns are great for home defense, but they are large, and clumsy to handle in close quarters. Home invasion defense distances are going to be around 7-10 yards at the maximum for 95% of all encounters. You will be able to hit targets at those ranges with less training than you may think. Just remember to train correctly from the start.

Oh, and +1 on REDTAIL's last post. Charter Arms does make some really nice revolvers.

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Greetings Jeff,

Because you said "for my home and family". There is a lot to consider. A shotgun (as previously mentioned) is cumbersome in most cases, and virtually useless for a surprise kick the door open home invasion. You really need a weapon on your person at all times. This allows faster responce on your part, and it also keeps the weapon under your control. With all this being said, a pistol would serve you well. However, you need to be completely proficient with whatever weapon you choose.

There is a lot at stake here Jeff, and you really need to stop and consider excatly what you are doing and all the possibilities that go with it. Then go to a shooting range and rent several guns. Try them out then decide...

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

For someone just starting out, I almost always recommend a revolver. You don't say whether you're going to carry it concealed or not. It's going to be pretty darn hard to beat a 4" barrel .357 revolver for home defense. That way your wife will be able to easily operate it as well.

If you're leaning toward a semi-auto, go with something on the order of an Springfield Armory XDm in .40 S&W or an XD in .45acp. The important thing is a handgun HAS to fit YOU so go to a big gunstore and handle/shoot as many different 1s that you can. The 1 that naturally points best, and to point of aim, should be your choice.

11. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Look used. We're all in hard times, financially, right now. That $500 is buying some nice, lightly used 1911s these days. I let my Kimber go to a friend for that much.

[​IMG]

Luckily, he's willing to let me buy it back from him for the money he paid for it.

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Taurus 66B4

A Taurus Model 66 with 4" or 6" barrel (blued or stainless steel).
    Good capacity of 357mag, you can learn and practice using cheaper .38spl, easy to use, no complicated safeties... to me the best first handgun it’s a revolver.

13. Slawth

Slawth New Member

14. Jeff13

Jeff13 New Member

Thank you all for opening my eyes to all the different options. This weekend I will do much needed research.

I will soon post some pics of my new gun purchase.

Thanks again!
    Jeff

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  15. orangello

orangello New Member

FYI, somebody :rolleyes: just put a nice-looking 9mm pistol in the on-site classifieds for under $500. You might solicit some opinions on it.

p.s. If i read correctly, it comes with a free cat toy. :D

16. Spanz

Spanz New Member

If the OP has his heart set on a handgun for the fun of owning one, by all means get one. And if he lives in such a high crime location that he plans on wearing one whenever he is awake and in the house, a handgun is the way to go.

But if the intended reason is home defense, I would put up one of these against ANY handgun you can care to list, day in and day out. No contest:
    Remington 870 Marine Magnum 12g 18" Nickel

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hhhhhhhhaaaaaavvvvvvveeeeeeee you met John Browning?

Not only would you lose in ease of movement, target tracking and general clearances, you would also lose in tactical reloads....:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. kdog

kdog Member

For that budget, I would also look for a nice used one.

Check out, oh what surprise from me, the CZ75 series Pistol.

A very tough and easy to use semi auto pistol.
    Has a manual safety and if you are new to firearms, fairly easy to handle, due to the steel frame.
    Trigger is DA/SA.
    You can usually get them at a good price and keep it for lots of years.

And best of all, it is very accurate.

CZ 75 B

CZ 75 Compact

19. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

My sister recently wanted to buy her first firearm for home defense.
    I told her to buy a shotgun. Shes a single mom of a three year old so didn't want to leave a loaded gun unsecured in house and what goods a unloaded weapon if someone kicks down your door?
    So she just purchased a 38special revolver and a lock box for her bedroom. One of those quick access ones with fingertip combination lock. Problem solved.

20. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

i know
    get a taurus judge lol
    a snub nose revolver that shoots a 4/10 shotgun shell