Hand size/gun fit

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by InDefenseofLiberty, Jan 21, 2013.

1. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

It seems to me that this is an often overlooked category of research for the newer shooter or first time handgun purchaser. After being at the counter when a new shooter is asking questions of the gun shop employee this never comes up until I mention it and then everyone involved on the conversation suddenly looks at the size of their hands and says "That thought never even crossed my mind".

So I decided to take it upon myself to start a thread, since I could not find one, that would address this issue with a wide range of hand sizes and what you prefer to shoot according to that or what modifications you have made to accommodate your meat hooks.

Since I am starting the thread I will give some parameters to follow. We could break this down to surgical accuracy (finger length vs. palm size)but, I will stick for simplicity's sake to overall hand size measured from the crease below the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

I realize opinions are opinions but, I am willing to bet that hand size has a lot to do with what we settle on being our best and most accurately shot platforms.

I have a 7 7/8" measurement as measured from the parameter above and find that most single stacks move in my hand while firing simply because the grip circumference is too small.

For me this is critical as for years I owned and learned my basic shooting skills using a Sig Sauer P220. This is a fine weapon but, i was not happy with my accuracy initially and it took years of practice and manipulation (and a wrap around Hogue grip) to realize that the gun frame was just too small for my hand.

Shooting anyone else's double stack handgun in almost any manufacturer's platform would instantly change my shot placement and follow up time between shots. this was truly accented when my buddy got a Springfield XDm in .40 and I shot tighter groups the first time I picked it up. He has smaller hands and loved shooting my Sig 220. I have since sold my Sig and have an XDm in every caliber available.

I also have found that I am accurate with almost all double stack platforms and really have to concentrate on grip when I move to single stacks. I look forward to seeing how much this affects the platform you like or if I'm just making a personal observation.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!:)

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

7.7", can shoot double or single stack fine but prefer single by miles. With double I have to regrip from time to time.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And thus the reason I don't like the Beretta 92.

4. Colby

Colby New Member

8 inches.
    I don't own a double stack. When trying one at a shop (Glock) they feel too bulky. Maybe I should try more.
    Hmmm... Thinking... I did come across a couple that did feel right - a Ruger P95 and an M&P9 Compact
    I have small concealable things - LCP, LC9, S&W Airweight ... And full frame revolvers.
    Opps... And 1911.

I like your thread. This should be interesting...

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

8.25 in length but 3.25 wide at the knuckles. I think that is another relevant measurement. I've got big, thin hands. I am pretty comfortable with single or double-stack, but with subcompacts I need a mag extension to be able to shoot comfortably. Old single-action revolvers (like my Ruger Blackhawk) are a little funny feeling but I can shoot them well. I should try making a fatter grip on it though and see if it feels better/improves my accuracy.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have big hands. Guns with a stock that is to small is more of an issue for me. What I have noticed is a person with small hand should be able to hold the gun naturally and their trigger finger should extend to the front of the trigger guard.

7. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

That is a good point my hand is almost a 1/2" shorter yet across the knuckles I am at 3.75". i always noticed that I had a tendency to shoot left the smaller the gun grip was and that my natural point of aim was always left also. So I, in my research, started gripping the gun closing my eyes and pulling the gun up in a shooting stance and noticed that if the grip was small my aim was left, not so with the fatter grips.
    Beretta 92's and 96's feel great in the hand and shoot beautifully however, I cannot abide a weapon that is finicky on ammo and in my experience the Beretta's I have shot are very picky. Especially with the reloads.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

indefence You may need to watch hickok45 with his extra large hands shoot both large and small handguns. Very accurate with both and some get the trigger pulled with the middle finger joint. Still he can pop steels at long distands with sub compact single stacks. I never was as good as he is but allways seems to adjust from large to small sized grips just fine. My hand is 7 3/8 long 3 3/8" wide and 2 7/8" trigger finger. I enjoy shooting glocks with a small hand and cc kahrs.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

For the record I have hit my 2'x2' steel target at 100 yards with 13 out of 15 rounds in my G27 sub-compact. I can do this consistently. Have even been able to hit 15 out of 15, but not every time I try it. 13 out of 15 is the worst I do.

10. miget63

miget63 New Member

I had to get rid of a Kahr CW 40 because of my big hands. Every time I fired it my thumb would bump the mag release and the magazine would fall out. It kind if made it useless for concealed carry for me. Traded it in for a Taurus 740 slim and don't have problems.

11. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

what ammo have you used that gave you problems?

Every single Beretta 92/96 I've fired, from the 5 or 6 different M9s I qualified with at the range, to the 3 that I own myself, to shooting buddies Berettas, I have NEVER had a malfunction when using factory Beretta magazines or the military contract magazines that are stamped "checkmate" or "wyandot" (or whatever the names were on them, I'm going from memory on the names)

Now, when I bought my first 92FS, it was a used gun, police department trade in, and it was in the middle of the 94 AWB, so they could not trade in the "high capacity magazines" with the gun for sale to private citizen, so it came with some cheap aftermarket no-name mag that didn't even have the holes drilled in the back to show round count. That magazine did cause some malfunctions where it would double feed. Once I bought some pre-ban Beretta mags, I've never had an issue since.

And I've shot military issue "ball" ammo, winchester, wolf, tulammo, remmington, Hornaday, Speer, American, Belliot...I've shot FMJ, cast lead, JHP, +P and home reloads...and whatever else I could get my hands on, and again the only time I had malfunctions was with that cheap no-name magazine.

on the original topic, I have always paid attention to hand size and grip size when handling weapons. I can't stand those annoying "baby glocks" because of how small they are. I carry my Beretta 96 concealed because I can hide it as easily as the guys who are carrying full size 1911s, and it fits my hands well. At an IPSC competition one time, a fellow competetor said "holy crap man, you make that huge Beretta look small in your hands!"

I just measured my hands by the above dimension, and I'm just over 8" in length, and if I measure across the knuckles of my 4 fingers, I'm at 4" across.

12. NTD

NTD New Member

8 1/4" long 3 5/8's wide at the knuckles.

I think your excuses about grip sizes are just that, excuses. I think thicker guns are a crutch for your gripping style. I think if you got better at a stacked thumbs grip and actually worked on that grip, you would find the gun you are shooting is irrelevant. The problem you are having with going left is the fact that you are not correctly using your support hand...Your strong hand is over powering your support hand so you are pushing the gun left.

Too many people care about what "feels" right when handling firearms. Learn and apply superior techniques...It will feel awkward for awhile but eventually familiarity with the technique will breed comfort.

For the record I think the immediate results you found with the XDM were a result of less trigger travel.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Sure, you could probably overcome just about any ergonomic obstacle with relentless application of technique; but why with all the choices out there that "fit" the individual hand better.

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I feel inadequate every time I watch him :) The man's amazing with anything he handles. Wish we could all shoot that much.

Tested a bunch of pistols recently and the Sig P226 always felt the most natural in my hand, and was also the one I shot best with. 7 1/3".

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

And that is why time and timer again when someone does the "what should I get" thread there are a few people that will tell them to get their hands on several different types of pistols to see where the best fit & feel are. I don't have a real big hand, my fingers are kind of short (7.5" hand). I have no issues really with single or double stack pistols but I am more comfortable with a single stack. I do have a Para P16 that is a double but I did put a set of Pierce grips on it to make it a little thinner than the OEM grips. I recently acquired a S&W 916 that I really like the feel of. But nothing can replace the lovin feelin of a 1911.

There are tons of handguns made today and many of them are more than adequate. There is no reason to fight a pistol to shoot it. Shoot what shoot best. Believe me three will be no time to think about technique in a high stress situation. Sure, everyone should work to use a proper grip. But it is much more important to do that with a firearm that fits properly to begin with.

16. Kalash1138

Kalash1138 New Member

8" long 3-3/4" wide

1911's are great, even my Officer's but not as good as the full sized.
    XDm 9mm feels good (like a 1911)and makes me look like a very good shooter
    XD45 Tactical uhmmmm just got it, jury's out
    Best feeling is a surplus Browning Hi-Power with those ugly plastic grips, it rattles a lot but I can shoot it as well as the XDm 9/1911 and it fits like a glove.
    Ruger Vaquero 45colt with birds head grips are sweet, got rid of a plowshare Vaquero and Blackhawk, no room for the pinky but I could shoot it ok.

Glocks feel like a 2x4, if Aston Glock had put some ergonomic thought into the grip, he'd would have doubled his fortune.

Small guns CZ-82 & a Makarov not bad, better with CZ
    Kel Tec P-11 OK with pinky mag addition

Wife just got a S&W 642-1 38spl Airweight fits my big paws pretty nice.

My 2 pesos worth.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have mentioned many times that the Glocks dont fit my hand except for the G36. Too big for my short fingers. Why I went to a Ruger SR9c. I dont seem to have a problem with the XD's or 1911's either.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Don't know why but this thread made me think of a friend of mine who has size 7FFFF feet. They look like hands with the fingers cut off at the first knuckle.:eek: