hand safety

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by beefheart, Sep 12, 2008.

1. beefheart

beefheart New Member

Is there any way a semi automatic the part that moves back towards you when you fire can severely damage your hands if you accidentally have them the wrong way

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. That would be the "Keep your hands away from moving parts rule".

For a semiauto to function, the slide on a handgun would cycle, to expend the spent brass and load a new round.

This is pretty basic stuff, so I have to question your motives for asking such a question.

Also see "Keep all hands inside the car while in motion"

JD

3. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

IT's a piece of machinery no more no less kinda like a kids bicycle .

If you stick your hand in the spokes of the tire while riding down the street can it severely damage your hand ?

4. user4

user4 New Member

Just stick your thumb up and fire it one time. It'll be the last time you do that.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Oh, yes. Saw a novice shooter wrap his LEFT themb overtop the shooting hand when shooting a 1911A1. The slide cut 2 nice grooves in his left thumb. It a nitrate burning MACHINE- do not stick fingers in moving machine.

6. JPBeck

JPBeck New Member

[​IMG]

Please seek professional instruction.

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - experience is the best teacher? I had a friend once that did that with my .380. Luckily for him it was only a .380, and luckily for him he was one of those double-jointed types whose thumb bends backwards normally.

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Well, JP pretty much nailed that one. I can only hope that happens BEFORE live fire is attempted.

9. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Everyone :
    Every shooter should get professional instruction but it won't hurt to spell out some safety advice here on the forum :
    1) If you use a wrap-around two hand grip, keep both thumbs on the same side of the gun . Do not cross your thumb over even when shooting a revolver because you will develop a bad habit and get bitten when you shoot an auto.
    2) If you have big hands and shoot certain small autos, you may get bitten by the slide even if you grip properly . Check before firing.
    3) Do not try shooting with your weak hand supported by your strong hand because you don't need to do it, but if you insist, check your thumbs carefully before firing because you will instinctively put your strong side thumb across . If necessary, fire cup-and-saucer ( palm support ) to eliminate any risk .
    4) Do not hold an autoloader close to your face or other parts while firing .
    5) And finally, don't let this safety matter magnify to the point it diminishes your enjoyment of the shooting sports.
    Regards,
    Rentacop

10. Rich_C

Rich_C New Member

When I had My XD40SW I had My right hand to far up the grip with a two handed grip.Slide bit Me pretty good ,But I learned from it and didn't let it stop My love of shooting.Don't be afraid to ask others at the range for advice. And most of all have fun

11. john_101

john_101 New Member

what i have to say is read the instructions of any gun before you use that.