Hand me Down Winchester

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by FuzzyGunsmith, Jul 8, 2012.

1. FuzzyGunsmith

FuzzyGunsmith New Member

Hey guys my girlfriends dad give me his winchester model 290 .22. Going out to shoot it later today to see how it shoots. Ill let everyone know how it is.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Early wedding gift?:rolleyes:

3. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Very cool! Don't forget to take pictures.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Fun little rifles. IIRC, extremely dirty little rifles, and a bear to strip and reassemble. Spray gun cleaner is your friend.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Once you shoot it you have to marry her. Think long and hard about that decision.

6. FuzzyGunsmith

FuzzyGunsmith New Member

Haha funny guys. Well went out shooting today and it shot very well. And i may add it was very acurate for not being shot in about 5 or so years!
    I will post pictures of it and my other toys soon

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Fact! I bought one for my middle son. It took 2 hours to clean and an hour to get back together. That return spring is ridiculous.

8. Sourdough54

Sourdough54 New Member

You do gotta keep some o them wee lil guns clean. Bout 20 yrs ago at the club I belong to this fellow I'd been seeing there for a number of years had brought his Nylon 66 to shoot. He regularly cleaned the barrel. But on this day his gun started to smoking while he was shooting. The smoking stopped on its own. We helped him give it a very detailed cleaning. He's very lucky nothing was damaged. There was so much unburned powder on the inside that after we got it all cleaned out it was a ( I want to say quarter sized pile ) but probably about the size of a nickel, made a pretty fire when lit. Memories, what can I say.

9. FuzzyGunsmith

FuzzyGunsmith New Member

yes patterson when i got home i cleaned it very well and i was amazed at the amount of stuff that came out, and when it came to the spring i found a little trick that took about a minute to put it in. I just took a screw driver and slowly fed the spring in a couple nothces at a time and it went in like butter. And Gun Scrubber and 0000 steel wool is my friend when it came to cleaning