Hand made Key gun value

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by edteach, Sep 19, 2013.

1. edteach

edteach Member

I have a quittance I know that has this key gun. It was made by his grandfather and he wants to know value, and maybe wants to sell it. I have a few ideas but want to get some other input to see if I am in the ball park. Its an atypical type of thing so its not easy to put a value on it. If anyone has seen these before, were they kits? Or is it completely fabricated from scratch?

I remember many years ago that something like this was a kit you could buy and finish. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have heard of them but never seen one. Very rare. Very Cool.
    What caliber is it?
    Can I have it? I'll trade a whole ring of keys.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I either don't see or don't understand the firing mechanism.
    Unless you screw that turn thing down to crush a percussion cap?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. edteach

edteach Member

I think it is a match lock type fire mech.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

So you think you unscrew the the thing on top and touch a match to it?
    something like this.................

Attached Files:

• key.jpg
      key.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  6. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I don't understand it. But I NEED it. My girlfriend is obsessed with skeleton keys

7. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

I'm with you on this!! I don't know where or how I can get my hands on one but my girlfriend would friggin love that thing! I'm going to do a little searching for one myself.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Edteach. First off, love the handle. perhaps we should call you Black Beard. ;)

Cool little pistol. I would actually go to an antique dealer to try and get a value on that piece. Being black powder, it is not classed as a firearm (federal law, state laws may vary), so an antique shop may be the way to go when looking for information and pricing. At the very least they may be able to tell you if it is a modern kit, or if it's older.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I like it too. Wish I could help evaluate it.

10. edteach

edteach Member

Its difficult. I told the owner I felt I would start at about 300 on Armslist. I don't see much more than that but its hard to value a one of. Its not historic but it seems to be well made. If anyone thinks its worth more or less I would be interested.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

12. edteach

edteach Member

Thanks I forgot about DGW. They have a lot of odd things. I think this one is worth more than that with the hand made walnut box, and other things. I would say at least 100.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

That would be logical.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Collectibles are difficult for someone who, does not collect them, to evaluate. I would have no clue as to the price it may bring at auction. I would probably pay $100.00 for it for the novelty, but for all I know it could be worth thousands.