Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by opaque, Oct 6, 2009.

1. opaque

opaque New Member

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a semi automatic pistol for around $550. I am going to be using this handgun for use at the range as target practice. I want a reliable gun that is easy to clean that I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I have gotten different opinions ranging from a glock 19 to a Sig. I want to know some opinion on which gun you think i should buy.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

If I only had one handgun, and if it was just for target use, I'd choose my Buckmark 22. Cheaper to buy and use, and a lot of fun.

Of course you do have to get over the ego sh1t about not having the biggest unit on the range.:eek:

Oh yeah... welcome to the FTF.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My case for a 1911:

1. Reliable - YES
    2. Easy to clean - NO, compared to other pistols out there. But a 1911 will be your friend....the others won't. The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
    3. Glocks are okay, but no "character"....they are strictly utilitarian. Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Canebrake made some great suggestions for potential 1911s for you but, like him, I think you should poke around this forum and see how passionate we are about this platform....then go to the Glock or the XD forums and you won't get the same feeling.....because they can't appeal to your senses the way a 1911 can.....I know I'm getting weird here....but I think the rest of the 1911 owners here know what I'm talking about.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We're all just shooting in the dark here as you really haven't narrowed anything down in terms of caliber, polymer or steel, single or double stack, etc.

Have you actually shot anything?

My 2 cents, go to a range that rents a variety of guns and give them a try...

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The 1911 is hard to clean the first time, after that it's a pilgrimage!

The 1911 pattern pistol is to hand guns what the V-Twin is to motorcycles and the Colt is the Harley!

Listen to "The Jesus"! (Not me, lonyaeger. You had to be there!)

the_jesus.gif

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You didn't really mean that did you?? :confused:

Because if you DID - I am going to make that my new signature that includes a VERY prolific quote from Ralph "Sonny' Barger....

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

9. WDB

WDB New Member

It's a tough question to answer with out knowing more about you. Take some time and introduce yourself on the new members thread. If it is just for target shooting a 22 is all you need, you will save a lot on ammo and it's a great way to learn to shoot. It's always best if you can find a range that rents, explain your expereince and expectations to the range master and have them help you find a pistol that fits you and your needs well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:confused::confused:

Uh. Bro.

They actually make 18 of them.

Sig 1911's

the Interwebz can be your friend....

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You said target practice. Perhaps you are meaning lots of range shooting of a caliber you would actually use in your self defense weapon? Or do you simply mean target practice.

If you mean strictly make hole in center, repeat, ad nauseam, then .22LR would be the most economical (and fun, I've heard)

If you mean shooting a lot of rounds in the caliber you will carry as self defense, then perhaps 9mm is the way to go.

Most of the responders to your post so far are strong proponents of the 1911 .45ACP. I'm certainly not unwise enough to discount their experience and opinion. That is a weapon that is on my list and I will own soon enough.

But I am extremely happy with my Glock 19 as a range weapon that I also carry occasionally and sits by my bed every night. It's not my carry weapon, but it can eat a lot of ammo for very little money. And that 15-round capacity is a lot more fun at the range than reloading after every 8 rounds.

And Glocks are a cinch to field strip and clean in a jiffy. I don't have to use words like "bonding" and "pilgrimage." How about this word: DONE!

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For target shooting only, Browning Buckmark 22lr is a fine place to start.

If you want target practice AND a defense weapon in an auto-loader, it's probably best to start with 9mm or perhaps .40SW. These are the two most common, affordable, and easily acquired rounds for defense or plinking...so it's a fine starting point for a new firearms owner. CZ, Spring XD, and Ruger all offer great options in that price range. I'd go with a CZ 9mm (75/85/P-01), but that's nothing more than personal preference. CZ's are very accurate right out of the box. Glocks are fine too, I'd just tend to lean toward XD if I were going the polymer route. Other would prefer SW M&P. All three are extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

Sigs are great guns, but your price range excludes most of them. You're pretty much relegated to the p250...haven't heard a bad word about it though.

1911's and other 45acps have a strong following for a reason. But the ammo is spendy and often difficult to find, and these guns can require more involved maintainance. In my opinion they're not an ideal starting point. They're more of a destination as you acquire experience. That's just my own perspective...and admittedly, it's based on the limited experience of a relatively new gun owner.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  13. WDB

WDB New Member

Lots of words, my favs were "bonding and pilgrimage":confused: I'm not a 1911 guy but way far from a Glock guy. Just to be fair show where bonding and pilgrimage was ever expressed in this or any other thread.

DONE...know more than your express otherwise it just comes off as stupid. MHO:rolleyes:

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Boy is my face red. I don't think of Sig when I think of 1911s because I only think of 1911s in terms of American-made.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Hey, here's an idea: for that range reloading, why not load a few mags full of .45 for your 1911 and then just change mags? What a concept!

I used the word "bonding" and canebrake, one of our moderators, who knows his s**t, used the word "pilgrimage."

DONE!

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I think I spy "bonding" and "pilgrimage" right here. There you go, WDB.

Come on. Why not go after the point (perhaps 9mm is a better range gun for lots of shooting), then attack my use of a couple of words?

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Go buy a couple more plastic guns with lasers and flashlights and don't bother with a 1911. You clearly don't get it.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Wonder what happened to the OP??? I hate it when someone does a drive by posting asking a question then doesn't bother to return. Especially when so many people go out of their way to help.

19. slammr

slammr New Member

Give that Stoeger Cougar in 9mm a whirl. I shot this as the Beretta Cougar and loved it. It is just too heavy to carry, but it is a pleasure to shoot. Of all I've shot (Glock, Spingfield, S&W, Keltec), this was most pleasant.