Hand guard end cap

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lbwar15, Feb 11, 2014.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Me and a buddy of mine are both working on our first upper build. We have every thing we need except the hand guard end cap. We are both using 16" barrels and mid length gas system. We are not using free float hand guards. I am using 10" quad rail and he is using a 12". Low pro gas blocks so our rails will go past the gas block. I'm just trying to find out what kind of end cap we need? We already have delta rings.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its not going to work like that. You need a fixed front sight base to use an end cap. The barrel also needs to be lathed correctly to work with one. Not all barrels are such.

Fixed sight base:

[​IMG]

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What about just a gas block? I don't want to use a fixed sight. I haven't ordered my gas block or my hand guards yet. So I could just use a gas block with a top rail and standard mid length sized quads right?

4. ams556

ams556 New Member

Why wouldn't you just use a free float rail? Not to question your build but unless you low pro gas block is pinned I'd prefer to have it protected by the rail

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. ams556

ams556 New Member

I got mine from YHM, I am happy with it and it was an easy install for a first build

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I would but I don't want to spend $200 on rails.

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

If I went with a free float set up from yhm could I use there end cap or would I still have to use a fixed site to do that?

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm using YHM9432A with their end cap and Brownells low profile gas block. Forearm $120, end cap $20. Mine came from www.surplusammo.com but its showing out of stock now.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

How about some pics of what you are going to use. If you rail is YHM you may want to give them a call and get some info on what your are wanting to do with what you have?
    And as JonM stated. First of all you do not have the fixture to properly drill the taper or dowel pin holes in the traditional front sight housing. In all probability if your tried the sights would not be able to be properly adjusted windage wise. You could use a gas block add on front sight assembly but as I said in order to give you better advice we need to see some pics of your barrel and components you are going to use.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm not wanting to use a fixed sight.

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I haven't chosen hand guards or gas block yet. That's why I'm here finding out what I need first.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Or even a barrel but I know I want 16" mid length gas CL 1:8 or 1:9 twist.

13. ams556

ams556 New Member

The forearm you are showing comes with the barrel nut so the barrel nut and delta ring goes away.

I believe (its been a few months, so review the instructions to double check me) the install starts with installing the barrel into the upper, aligning the pin into the slot on the receiver, tightening the barrel nut onto the barrel, tightening the jam nut onto the barrel, install your gas block and gas tube, threading the forearm onto the barrel nut assembly and installing the two lock screws.

And your onto the next portion of the build.

YHM does sell end caps, but I didn't purchase one. I liked the open look.

14. ams556

ams556 New Member

15. ams556

ams556 New Member

Your barrel has a front site on it. You just need the barrel itself if you plan on buying the gas block by itself.

16. ams556

ams556 New Member

What's your goal with the build? A cheap plinker or more of a long range accuracy gun?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

^^^^^^^ This makes it much easier. I think I know what your trying to do . You want to use a drop in hand guard longer than your current gas length setup right ?
    I am doing this on a dissy setup in 5.45
    You need a round handguard cap the triangles are made for older plastic rifle length hand guards . then you will need one of these to clamp on to the barrel to hold the cap in place with .
    http://www.amazon.com/Ruland-TCL-12-16-F-One-Piece-Clamping-Threaded/dp/B0063KQSXE
    Since they come to to a pack you guys can split the cost of $4.50 each
    Make sure the area on your barrel is .750 where this clamp is going to sit or you will have to get the right size and if its where it tapers down and is smaller you will have to use one of these in a 2 piece design or it will not fit over the barrel . I know with a set of rifle length hand guards my M4 profile barrel is .750 where it stops .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Keep in mind these clamps can be bought in aluminum also if weight it a huge concern . With as small as they are weight should not be a concern . You can also go this route as it is a little lower profile . This is what Im using. This is a little cleaner looking

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19N8SNQN1BAYG0CCS4QB

If you have a concern of the front cap moving you can always drill and pin this clamp so the pin goes partially through the gas tube hole in the cap , if your feeling extra special you can drill / tap it and screw it to the clamp also

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014