Hammer vs Striker

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by AR10, Jun 17, 2013.

1. AR10

AR10 New Member

Anyone like me, really prefer a hammer gun over a striker fired gun?

After twenty years of having a Glock 20 as my daily carry autoload pistol, purchasing a Beretta Storm was a refreshing step.

Getting a hammer in my hands again, I realize how much I missed them, and doubt I will be getting any more striker firearms.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I prefer firearms with hammers.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Single-actions are better w/a hammer!
    ;)

4. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I think that both have there benefits. Currently my SD is a striker-fire. I like the way it shoots and feels. I have a SA revolver that I love as well. I have also shot a couple of different 1911's and like the look and feel of those. Some might say this is personal preference (and it is)...but I don't have a preference yet. I like to shoot them all!

5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i like both i preferre to carry a striker pistol becuase of the concealibility asspects,i do have a 1911 on my ccw permit but rarely carry it do to weight,if we had open carry in california i would carry it more often but thats not an option.i think it really comes down to your needs and likes,it really is what you preferre or need.

6. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Yo, i definitely prefer hammer fired. I also prefer sa/da, not a fan of sao in either striker or hammer, personally not a fan of glock, but they are simple and reliable.

@rifleman, you have to list your carry weapons on your permit?

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Make mine with a hammer, visible, most of the time!!!:D

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My handguns are hammer fired. Owned a striker fire once and hated it: Glock 17.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I own one, striker pistol, a XD40SC. The trigger doesn't suck as much as some it's competitors. (Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the design) That will likely be it for me & strikers, for the foreseeable future.

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Hammer fired, no exception for me.

Jim

11. rickster

rickster New Member

For ccw I prefer striker fired which makes up just one of my handguns. Both of my revolvers and my full size semi-auto for home defense are hammer fired.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i fail to see how it makes any difference in the slightest. a good design is a good design and a bad design is a bad design. there are tons of both in hammer and striker pistols.

there is nothing inherent in a striker that makes it better or worse and nothing inherent to a hammer design that makes a gun automagically better or worse.

13. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yes in the county im in you are allowed three handguns on your permit,the permit lists the make model caliber and serial number and it better match or you will likely be losing your gun and permit.so in other word if you have two identical guns dont accidently grab the wrong one.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

That is rather a Spock answer, don't you think?

Sometimes logic is only one side of a coin.

Going beyond preference, and into logic, if you had a pitcher of water, painted black, so you could not see through it, and you were to pour a glass of water, into a glass also painted black, would that be a greater challenge, even in some small way, as opposed to pouring a glass of water from a clear pitcher into a clear glass?

My analogy is trying to show that things of mystery are harder to teach and acquire knowledge of, than things that are easy to see and touch. To some degree, and that is different with everyone, a hammer gun holds less mystery than a hidden striker.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  15. AR10

AR10 New Member

My original CCP was from Iowa, and it listed the gun you were carrying. I had them squeeze in a second gun on my permit (which I still have from 30 plus years ago). Deputy behind the counter was rather annoyed by my request, as I recall.

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've had both and I don't have both now. I don't own a striker fired pistol. I prefer having a hammer.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

but no one seems to have an issue with hidden hammers (AR15/AK47) or hidden strikers (pretty much every bolt rifle ever made) in the case of long guns...

why the hang up on handguns??

i dont get it.

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Hammer for me if given the choice.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have never owned a striker fired, but a friend bought a Sig convertible that was without realizing it. It was his 1st handgun and he had fired my Sigs and had decided he wanted a Sig. He also fired a Wilson Commander .45acp a Sig P230 in .380. When we went out and I made the comment it was striker fired he got fidgety. No worries, it is a nice Sig I told him. I was amazed at how well it shot. It was so smooth, nice trigger. He shot like crap. He also bought a 5 shot S&W .38sp. I told him to shoot the .38 in DA and the Sig would fall into place easily. So he bought a Sig .380 w/ a hammer for carry. He does well w/ the larger Sig, but can be much better. I liked his striker fired Sig. Everything is similar to my hammer fire.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I love having a hammer, don't find one to be any simple or more complicated than another really. But lack of hammer in striker fired guns is easier for pocket carry drawing. Just one less thing to snag or hang up on lose clothing.

Still, I'm a hammer man for sure.