Hammer spring

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Josh1158, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I recently purchased a used ruger sp101. I didnt kike the little grip so much so I got a hogue grip from midway and decided to get the lighter spring pack for it as well. When I pulled the spring out that was in the gun I noticed it was tge same lenght as the 10lb I was going to put in. Could this gun have already had this done ?

2. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I would say the length would have to be the same----the spring tension is what would be different. I made a day and night improvement in the trigger of my Black hawk by changing springs.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with Mongo. usually replacement springs are the same length and outside diameter. what makes the lighter or heavier is usually the diameter of the spring wire itself and the number of coils.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The above is true. of course it also could have been already changed.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Watch out for light double action strikes on hard primers. You don't want the spring too light.

6. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Ok, thanks for the help

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You could have compared wire diameter and number of coils too. A spring when installed under tension will stake a set at a little shorter length. So a spring that's been in the ruger a while maybe shorter than new" stock" replacement spring. Put the wolff spring in and shoot it enough to be sure its reliable be for depending on it. Trigger pull gauge is a nice toy to own too.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This! ^^
    If this will be for carry, I'd probably stick with the heavier spring.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

You always should test reliability before relying on it after you make any changes. I for one have had zero issues with the spring kit from wolff in my service six, but thats me, my gun, and having thoroughly testing for reliability.

10. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I planned on it. It still feels heavier then the one in my speed six so im that worried about it

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know this has little to do with your wants, but I love the SP101 the way it comes from the factory with the original grips and spring. I like the stiff trigger, it actually improves my DA accuracy because I have to squeeze the grips harder to pull the trigger.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

What finish and barrel length is your speed six?

13. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

14. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Attached Files: