Hammer or striker???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Seanbo123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

What type of handgun do you like more. Hammer fired, or striker fired, and why?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Have to say hammer is my favorite--Why, just old school i guess plus being a die hard 1911 fan :eek:
    But I have several strikers too, XD45 & SR9C are WAY up there in my book :cool:

3. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I have been a fan of striker-fired for some time. I like the consistency of trigger pull and the simplicity of design. I used to not like SA/DA hammer-fired because of the long and usually stiff DA trigger. Having said that, I recently bought a Taurus 809 that is hammer-fired and love this gun. It is making me rethink my preferences.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont like double action only which is a main reason amongst others that i dont like glocks. Cocking the striker with the hammer even partially with a glock is one reason they have a bad rep with target shooters

Striker fired is fine so long as the trigger is just releasing the striker or hammer. With 1911 or xdm or da/sa the trigger releases the hammer. Da/sa first shot cocks the hammer which isnt a big deal but takes some getting used to.

One thing thats broyght up is you can easily restrike a fail to fire. Thats a nonissue since you should be doing a failure drill rather than restriking a failed primer. Odds are its going to just fail again and wasting time trying to save one round you may lose your life

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The hammer uses inertial force on the firing pin,

which has proven to me to be slightly more

effective than released spring tension pressure.

So I prefer the hammer...

6. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

No preference, like them both, both make gun go bang

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Hammer all the way "cant touch this"

8. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I prefer a hammer sa/da

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As long as it goes bang and is accurate.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Hammer Time

Agree w Hammer - SA/DA - where you can carry condition 1.

Slowly warming up to XDM's SA striker.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just a fyi striker fired systems have been around long before the 1911 has existed. All bolt action rifles are strikerfired...

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like to have a hammer. I like being able to see the condition of the gun by simply looking at it. I do have some striker fired guns. But I prefer the hammer.