Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Have to say hammer is my favorite--Why, just old school i guess plus being a die hard 1911 fan :eek:
But I have several strikers too, XD45 & SR9C are WAY up there in my book :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been a fan of striker-fired for some time. I like the consistency of trigger pull and the simplicity of design. I used to not like SA/DA hammer-fired because of the long and usually stiff DA trigger. Having said that, I recently bought a Taurus 809 that is hammer-fired and love this gun. It is making me rethink my preferences.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
I dont like double action only which is a main reason amongst others that i dont like glocks. Cocking the striker with the hammer even partially with a glock is one reason they have a bad rep with target shooters

Striker fired is fine so long as the trigger is just releasing the striker or hammer. With 1911 or xdm or da/sa the trigger releases the hammer. Da/sa first shot cocks the hammer which isnt a big deal but takes some getting used to.

One thing thats broyght up is you can easily restrike a fail to fire. Thats a nonissue since you should be doing a failure drill rather than restriking a failed primer. Odds are its going to just fail again and wasting time trying to save one round you may lose your life

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
The hammer uses inertial force on the firing pin,

which has proven to me to be slightly more

effective than released spring tension pressure.

So I prefer the hammer...

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
No preference, like them both, both make gun go bang

·
Retired
13,579 Posts
As long as it goes bang and is accurate.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Just a fyi striker fired systems have been around long before the 1911 has existed. All bolt action rifles are strikerfired...

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I like to have a hammer. I like being able to see the condition of the gun by simply looking at it. I do have some striker fired guns. But I prefer the hammer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts